dcsimg

Keyless Chuck or Chuck less the key?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I don’t know why, but the first drill i bought was a 1/2 corded drill with keyed chuck. Since then i have had many keyless chuck drills. Was the keyless chuck just a luxury someone came up with after the keyed chuck came to be or is there a real good use case for a keyed chuck drill?

woodman_412

You can chuck a bit in tighter with a keyed chuck than with a keyless since it gives you more torque to tighten. Most heavy duty or corded hammer drills still have keyed chucks on them for heavy duty applications.

Dan

danpattison.com

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Makes sense. I kind of figured the larger the drill and bit the more important a keyed chuck would be for the reasons you mentioned. thanks Dan.

that is helpful dan… still dont think i have any applications that i need a keyed chuck…

John S

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

there are lots of reasons to get a keyed chuck drill. If you are drilling lots of holes, or need to mix anything. I have 2 keyed drills one 5/8 keyed makita, bought this a long time ago, my father kept complaining when he would help me that I didn’t have a 1/2 inch corded, so to shut him up, I got a 5/8 corded. And then I have this little thing in my stable

woodman_412

That’s quite the drill Brian. Looks like it would do a dandy job of mixing drywall mud. I have a corded Bosch hammer drill that has a keyed chuck on it and I use that for anything that is heavy duty drilling.

Dan

danpattison.com

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Awesome drill there. I always wondered if you had to use a particular drill to mix drywall mud or something of the sort. I’ve never had to do it, but i would assume you do need a powerful drill to get the job done so you don’t burn out the motor on a lesser powered one, eh?

woodman_412

I’ve used a 14.4V cordless drill to mix drywall mud but there was certainly no power to spare. It was a fairly small drywall job that I was doing so it wasn’t too bad but I wouldn’t use a cordless on a regular basis if I did a lot of drywall.

Dan

danpattison.com

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

ok, so a normal 18v or corded drill should be sufficient i assume.

woodman_412

If you’re not mixing mud on a daily basis a normal drill works fine. I usually mix drywall mud once every couple years so I don’t have anything special to run the mixing tool. You can usually feel when there is too much load being put on a motor and hear it as well.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

that drill will go through anything. I mainly use this for drilling through rim joists and many large holes, Also use this to mix Thinset and Mortar

woodman_412

How many amps is your Makita right angle Brian?

Dan

danpattison.com

Keyed chuck is more applicable on heavy
    Drilling. I have both .

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

I have one Bosch cordless drill but the keyless chuck couldn’t lock very tight. After I drill few holes, the drill bit will fall out

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I agree with most of you, I prefer a keyed chuck on heavy duty drilling but for everyday small jobs the convenience of a key less chuck is paramount.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

Keyless chuck is more convenience and I wonder how long will the keyless chuck lasts? Any estimated lifespan ?

The biggest issue for me in owning a keyed chuck is losing the key 🙁 haha

John S

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

My Father have a few old keyed drill and I remember that some of chuck’s teeth was gone. Another problem is the teeth of key could be wear off.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

When you clean out any old timers garage you will find several chuck keys. Between studs, behind benches, in truss flanges if a steel building. Those guys misplaced tons of those things.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That is the worst thing about the keyed chucks, the keys never stay where they are supposed to. Even for my drill press which it should never move away from, It seems like i am always looking for the key. It never seems like I have time to attach it so it stays put.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.580 seconds