dcsimg

Key Hole Router Bit

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I was thinking it would nice to have a Key Hole router bit. I thinking this make hanging stuff on the wall simple then buying hardware all the time.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this router bit you could share with me.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I used one for just that a few years ago. It would be a good match for the Colt with a plunge base.

The key hole bit is a slick way to take the place of hanging hardware. It allows flush mounting of flat pieces, too.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this router bit you could share with me.

Yep….they snap in half if you don’t take it easy!

If you try to move the router through the wood too quickly, they will break as the narrow part of the shank is fairly small. To be fair, the one I broke was a Skil brand and obviously not as good as others out there. I currently have a Whiteside keyhole bit that I haven’t had the chance to use.

The hanging method is great and allows flush mounting as Smallerstick mentioned! That much alone is worth the extra effort IMO.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I used one for just that a few years ago. It would be a good match for the Colt with a plunge base.

The key hole bit is a slick way to take the place of hanging hardware. It allows flush mounting of flat pieces, too.

I don’t have the Bosch colt yet. But I do have the Dewalt 611 with plunge base. Yes was this would be slick way of hanging the Essential oil shelf I made for the wife. I like the idea of flush mounting.

Yep….they snap in half if you don’t take it easy!

If you try to move the router through the wood too quickly, they will break as the narrow part of the shank is fairly small. To be fair, the one I broke was a Skil brand and obviously not as good as others out there. I currently have a Whiteside keyhole bit that I haven’t had the chance to use.

The hanging method is great and allows flush mounting as Smallerstick mentioned! That much alone is worth the extra effort IMO.

It is good to know they could snap if not taking it easy. The quality of the bit might of helped. I would agree flush mounting is worth the effort.

I think I will get one some I have for my next project to need to hang.

Thanks

Greg

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have used one fairly often for hanging items. they work pretty well.

I don’t have the Bosch colt yet. But I do have the Dewalt 611 with plunge base. Yes was this would be slick way of hanging the Essential oil shelf I made for the wife. I like the idea of flush mounting.

That router will work well too. Much easier to do with a plunge base, but I have done it without a plunge base. I drilled a hole with a forstner bit first to the depth I set up the keyhole bit in the router, the slowly tipped the router into the hole. I had a guide set up on the left side so the router wouldn’t try to wander too much and I could run the router against the guide as I made the keyhole.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

If you need to make more than one hole to hang something with, what do you use to make sure the holes keep the item level? Just measure and mark? A jig on a router table (would that even work?)? Or does it have to be done free hand?

Charlie

Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have used the key hole bit and it works very nice. You have to be pretty accurate putting the nail or screw in the wall though . Especially if you have more than one hanger.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I may have to look for this, would work great with my colt

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

If you need to make more than one hole to hang something with, what do you use to make sure the holes keep the item level? Just measure and mark? A jig on a router table (would that even work?)? Or does it have to be done free hand?

I saw a video where is was used on a router table.

Greg

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have used the key hole bit and it works very nice. You have to be pretty accurate putting the nail or screw in the wall though . Especially if you have more than one hanger.

I can see where this could be a problem getting everything level.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

That, and hearing how easy they are prone to breaking has kept me from getting one.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I guess it could be. But would be like anythings. Practice makes perfect.

That, and hearing how easy they are prone to breaking has kept me from getting one.

Hearing how easy they are to break hasn’t stopped me from wanting want one. I would say there could be a number of reason that has cause the bit to break. Bit speed, feed rate and quality

Greg

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would do it free hand with a stop block to set the top of the keyhole. A simple block that registers against the top edge of the piece in question that could be slid along the top edge would ensure that the holes all end at the same point…thus being level.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Bit speed, feed rate and quality

Fast speed, slow steady feed, turn off router and let bit stop before backing out. Common sense comes into play more than bit quality. I have a Craftsman bit thats seen over 100 slots, some freehand with guide and stop but most on router table. It’s discolored from the heat but it still cuts and it’s still in one piece

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@jponto07 sounds easy enough…as long as my work is square to the top edge, lol! I’ve had that priblem before and didn’t realize until I tried to hang the thing…oh well, always learning 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Fast speed, slow steady feed, turn off router and let bit stop before backing out. Common sense comes into play more than bit quality. I have a Craftsman bit thats seen over 100 slots, some freehand with guide and stop but most on router table. It’s discolored from the heat but it still cuts and it’s still in one piece

Thanks for adding this. I like that you added common sense is more then bits quality. Alot of times people for about using common sense. I have no experience using one.

Greg

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

The fast speed isn’t necessary…and is the reason for the discoloration. A keyhole bit isn’t going to be able to eject chips efficiently and as a result, you end up “re cutting” all of the dust you’ve already cut. Add more speed, and you chop them up even more. Most router bits cut very well at low to medium speeds.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.436 seconds