dcsimg

Kevin's Overhang/Cabana/Patio Build.

This topic contains 398 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 399 total)
  • Author

Doobie

Permit? Permit you say…..what’s a permit?

I’ll feign ignorance again if I get the knock on the door….”Well golly-gee…I thought since the Cabana portion wasn’t over 108 square feet I didn’t need a permit”.

Wow really?? anything with uplift here needs a permit. Anything that cost over 1,000$ need a permit. They are really lax up there. We can not even get a can dropped with out a permit.

For this structure what would require a permit is that firstly, I will be attached to the house, and secondly that even though the Cabana part is less than the square footage requiring a permit, the whole roof is considered enough square footage to require it.

Doobie

Got woken up by a knock at the door at 10 AM by the bobcat rental place who brought me the 12 inch auger bit. Then I was on the phone for quite some time dealing with why a Makita order of a bunch of stuff I placed on the 20th of June wasn’t here yet (JC Cayer). I’m told it is being held up by the one item I’m really gonna need come next week which is an 18V concrete vibrator with a 31 inch wand. Apparently it is on backorder at Makita til the end of August. Shoot!

So then I call Makita in Whitby lookin to see if they have a refurb model available to buy and they tell me they have plenty in stock also of new ones. Hmmmmm……So I call the online merchant back and tell him to call Makita and get this straightened out. Vibrator and the rest of my Makita order should be here by Friday, Monday at the latest just in time for the four skids of concrete arriving from Lowes along with the rest of materials I ordered.

Started to auger out the piers after that and along the way got to use my Bosch 7in grinder and the multi-grip recip for the first time to cut down an old clothes line pole. Neighbor sees this and asks me if he can use it to cut his also. Next thing I know I’m at the back of his yard with both of them and also my SDS-MAX Rotary hammer and a pointed breaker bit to break away the concrete enough below grade to truly get the job done right. Took me a half hour or so, and remember these are the jerks that snitched on me with the shed build I’m doin this for. I’m just too much of a nice guy sometimes.

Anyways, looks like the pier holes are gonna take a second day. Got four done today, five more to go. Was thinking I’d get them all done in one day, but it’s slower than I thought mind you I only could get half a day in.

One hole was rock hard and had a few good nuggets I had to slam out with my prybar. Two of them were such mucky clay I was having trouble pulling the bit back out at times tipping the Bobcat perilously. The real risky one, which I did first, was probably an inch or two away from my feed to my shed. I could tell where the old trench was, and it actually forced me to dig it about 6 inches further out than I had originally planned, but it’ll be all OK.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@doobie you ol’ softy – look at you bridging the gap between you and your neighbor. Way to be the bigger man!

Sounds like you got a ton done today, relationally and otherwise, lol.

That’s so ridiculous how a company can be so completely unaware of its own stock though – I’m glad you were able to get it all sorted out. Getting everything to come together at the right times seems like it could be one if the bigger stresses of a project like this. That and digging into something like a big electrical line! I’m glad you’re navigating it all smoothly!

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sounds like you got a ton done today, relationally and otherwise, lol.

Kevin you sure had a busy day and time to help the neighbor too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Maybe the neighbor will be nicer now Doobie. Some times you have to be the better person. Looks like a big project you have going.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Got woken up by a knock at the door at 10 AM by the bobcat rental place who brought me the 12 inch auger bit.

Must be nice to be able to sleep so late and still be productive lol

@doobie you ol’ softy – look at you bridging the gap between you and your neighbor. Way to be the bigger man!

Well said, Charlie. Sometimes you just have to man up.

Doobie

Thanks all for the pat on the back. I still wish those particular neighbors would just ‘go away’ more or less. I get my God fearing upbringing in conflict with my emotions at times along with my actions and sentiments. Wifey was proud of me too and she’s the one who goes to church each week whereas me, I’m there only on occasions that ‘require’ my presence. Lol!

Wafted in the pool last nite from sundown til 1 AM or so last nite quaffin Heinekens. My head hurts this mornin a bit. I was using the inlet jet to massage parts of my body which I too often never think of doing but last nite did and I think it’s made a difference in how I feel body-wise this morning.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Haha, that’s funny with the neighbors,
    Humm did you ever think maybe you are the problem lol just kidding,

I’m sure that they were really glad you were there to help them out.
    Good stuff Kevin,

So if I read correctly 9 holes, is one for the new clothes line, or will that be incorporated into the new cover posts,
    I think you mentioned 16×16 posts, what are they made from?

Really coming along Kevin.

Doobie

Haha, that’s funny with the neighbors,
    Humm did you ever think maybe you are the problem lol just kidding,

They have had ‘construction jobs’ going on over there themselves, so it’s not like they sit there and don’t have things going on like me.

So if I read correctly 9 holes, is one for the new clothes line, or will that be incorporated into the new cover posts,

No new clothes line. We rarely ever used the old one. I always seemed to have bad luck with birds poopin on stuff and abandoned using it years ago.

Yeasterday, I went to the garden center with notes and questions for the steel slag base for my patio and overhang build project and how to go about laying it properly especially for where I’ll be pouring some small concrete pads on it. The feloow drew me a nice diagram for how to set that up properly. He also came up with the same cubic yards estimate of what I’ll need for the slag. Somewhere between 9 and 10 cubic yards.

Then I went to HD to get the somotubes I’m gonna need. They didn’t have any 12in in stock, so I’m just gonna use 10 inchers. No problem there. It showed they shoulda had 25 in stock, but they looked everywhere and couldn’t find them. Obviously an inventory miscount of sorts.

By the time I got back it was diner time and my helper son had a baseball game, so we didn’t get any work done on site at all yesterday and my body needed a break day anyways. But today is gonna be a busy day. Hoping it’s my last day with the rented equipment. Fingers crossed on that one.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

But today is gonna be a busy day. Hoping it’s my last day with the rented equipment. Fingers crossed on that one.

Good luck hope you get what you needed to get done today.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Yeasterday, I went to the garden center with notes and questions for the steel slag base for my patio and overhang build project and how to go about laying it properly especially for where I’ll be pouring some small concrete pads on it.

Any cautions on handling it? From my experience, it can be extremely sharp and glass like at times.

Doobie

But today is gonna be a busy day. Hoping it’s my last day with the rented equipment. Fingers crossed on that one.

Good luck hope you get what you needed to get done today.

Thanks Bill! Hopefully by tomorrow I can have a much easier day.

Yeasterday, I went to the garden center with notes and questions for the steel slag base for my patio and overhang build project and how to go about laying it properly especially for where I’ll be pouring some small concrete pads on it.

Any cautions on handling it? From my experience, it can be extremely sharp and glass like at times.

I saw it up close. I didn’t see it as being sharp, but we’ll see soon enough.

I did read that one should use some respiratory protection. There can be some small carcinogens amounts in it that gets kicked up in the air. I’m thinking that is more for the finer screening grade of it rather than the 3/4 sub base sized slag, but we’ll see.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I never heard of this before, so it is basically small pieces of steel that you will be putting down for a base.
    And you compact them just like the crushed stone or stone dust?

Slag is the stuff they don’t want in the steel when they make it. There will be very little, if any iron or the additives used to make the alloy they are going after. There will be silica in it though as they add silica to the mixture to help draw off impurities in the steel. The stuff they don’t want bonds to the silica and floats to the surface. There may be minute amounts of nickle and magnesium which are carcinogens and used in the steel alloy making and drawn off into the slag as part of the process. Other heavy metals may also be present in the slag.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I never heard of this before, so it is basically small pieces of steel that you will be putting down for a base.

I hadn’t either, but just found this

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/infrastructure/structures/97148/ssa3.cfm

That’s an interesting material you chose to use @doobie, any particular reason why?

Charlie

Instagram

Keep up the good documentation @doobie, this has been a good read as I just caught up on this thread.

Will

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I hadn’t either, but just found this

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/infrastructure/structures/97148/ssa3.cfm

That’s an interesting material you chose to use @doobie, any particular reason why?

That was a very interesting read Charlie,

@jimdaddyo thank you Jim, you really explained that for me.
    Is this knowledge from working in the industry. Good info

Just accumulated knowledge from over the years. I first found out nickle was a carcinogen when I was working in a truck rim plant as a welder and the WHIMS system came into effect, so everything had to have a data sheet with exposure levels and compounds listed with their effects on people. In the same plant I took courses in Metrology and Metalurgy. Of course, growing up in a mining town, you tend to absorb some local knowledge, and then there is passing interests in forging, casting and making metals that you gleen information from.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Why not use rock for the fill?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Just accumulated knowledge from over the years. I first found out nickle was a carcinogen when I was working in a truck rim plant as a welder and the WHIMS system came into effect, so everything had to have a data sheet with exposure levels and compounds listed with their effects on people. In the same plant I took courses in Metrology and Metalurgy. Of course, growing up in a mining town, you tend to absorb some local knowledge, and then there is passing interests in forging, casting and making metals that you gleen information from.

Some good things you learned and picked up about metal and other chemicals,
    We also take those whims information classes.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 399 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.984 seconds