dcsimg

Kevin's Overhang/Cabana/Patio Build.

Viewing 19 posts - 381 through 399 (of 399 total)
  • Author

I’m sure you’ll get it figured out. Nice to see you feel healthy enough to get some work going.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

So today I decided to move from paper to an actual mock up of sorts to see where things would sit.

The lower board in the first pic is sloping a foot every 6 feet and where you see the grade rod placed, is where a standard 82 inch high door would fit and only to the left of the grade rod. This is all with the aforementioned base being shallower/lower being factored in. Unless I were to cut down a door 4 to 6 inches, this just won’t work. The main entrance would be encroaching into the back area as is to be the sauna area as well.

The second pic has another rafter placed but with a 1:12 drop. This works fine especially also allowing proper clearance for walking out from the overhang area out into the backyard also which the higher pitched roof would not have worked for either. The door into the cabana can now go more towards the center as I wanted it in the first place. Where you see the grade rod in that second pic is at 82 inches.

Think I’m gonna now figure out how to build my floor base this afternoon.

That was a good idea to do a mock up. It does change how things look.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Kevin I don’t think that 1:12 is enough slope with the weather you have. The problem is winter and melting snow. With a 1:12 slope when the snow melts it backs up under the shingles and leaks inside. BTDT

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Kevin I don’t think that 1:12 is enough slope with the weather you have. The problem is winter and melting snow. With a 1:12 slope when the snow melts it backs up under the shingles and leaks inside. BTDT

I am sure if he is putting shingles on the roof.
    I know my wife’s parents sunroom didn’t have big slope on the roof and I remember them having any issues.

Greg

I know my wife’s parents sunroom didn’t have big slope on the roof and I remember them having any issues.

I can remember doing our roof. The slope about 2:12. The roofer had to order special architectural shingles for it that were rated for it. I think 2:12 is about the least slope you can get away with if my memory serves me correctly. Less than that I think you got to roll roofing, metal roofing, torch down or similar rated for flat roofs.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I can remember doing our roof. The slope about 2:12. The roofer had to order special architectural shingles for it that were rated for it. I think 2:12 is about the least slope you can get away with if my memory serves me correctly. Less than that I think you got to roll roofing, metal roofing, torch down or similar rated for flat roofs.

This could be I don’t much about roofs. In my younger days one of buddies did this work. He would tell me all this stuff. I pretty much forgot what he told me as it was along time ago.

Greg

redwood
    Pro

As far as I know, 2:12 is the absolute minimum slope for asphalt shingles and that may require a membrane of some sort underneath. I also doubt that all manufacturer’s will warranty slopes that low.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

As far as I know, 2:12 is the absolute minimum slope for asphalt shingles and that may require a membrane of some sort underneath. I also doubt that all manufacturer’s will warranty slopes that low.

That may be correct, but at 3:12 you’re pushing the limit and it’s better to increase the lap too.

@Doobie
    Would a gable roof solve any or all of your clearance and roof slope issues ?

Doobie

I’m afraid to do that. That would almost certainly invite a permit snitch from my neighbour. It also would make what I want to do with the deck to be built next to it have to change in ways I don’t want. I dunno, I might have to revisit all of it.

Doobie

I know. I was planning on that too.

If he definitely needs that pitch , I’d definitely opt for those new metal roofs , nice looking , and basically maintenance free for years

Doobie

OK, so here’s where we’re at with this project….nothing.

With my shoulder still precarious, and if we get an early winter like we did last year, I’ve thought about it long and hard and discussed this with my wife that this whole build will be postponed til next year.

I have plenty of other projects to work on, and this one is by no means pressing to resume. The potential risks all around in pouring all my energy and efforts into this one are just too high.

That’s the way things go sometimes. Wifey wasn’t upset. She understands the reasons we need to do this once I explained all my concerns to her.

redwood
    Pro

Lucky for you to have a understanding wife. My ex would have demanded that it be finished yesterday.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

With my shoulder still precarious, and if we get an early winter like we did last year, I’ve thought about it long and hard and discussed this with my wife that this whole build will be postponed til next year.

I have plenty of other projects to work on, and this one is by no means pressing to resume. The potential risks all around in pouring all my energy and efforts into this one are just too high.

That’s the way things go sometimes. Wifey wasn’t upset. She understands the reasons we need to do this once I explained all my concerns to her.

Sorry to hear about this Kevin. I was wondering how this build was going. Nice to hear your wife is so understanding.

Greg

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

With the pitch that small is mandatory to have all roof covered in membrane.

Our 2:12 roof we covered the whole thing with ice/water sheild before shingles. I paid the extra to have “Grace” brand put on. Probably the best you can find in these parts.

Our 2:12 roof we covered the whole thing with ice/water sheild before shingles. I paid the extra to have “Grace” brand put on. Probably the best you can find in these parts.

That sounds like a wise decision Jim

@Dooboe no use hurting yourself more than it is already , better take care of it , then you can feel better to work on this big project.

Doobie

Sorry to hear about this Kevin. I was wondering how this build was going. Nice to hear your wife is so understanding.

Doobie no use hurting yourself more than it is already , better take care of it , then you can feel better to work on this big project.

There’s just so much overhead work in this for the rotator cuff injury I have. It’s just been lately that I’m not in daily pain with it and just testing myself on small tasks, I find the next day I’ve overdone it and spend the day in pain half lame. I just know dealing with all the overhead work on this is gonna just kill it right now. It needs more time to heal and restrengthen.

Lucky for you to have a understanding wife. My ex would have demanded that it be finished yesterday.

On this one, she understands. Other times though, I can get hellfire.

Doobie

With the pitch that small is mandatory to have all roof covered in membrane.

I am starting to lean towards a gable now. It fouls up what would be my kitchen/BBQ area I will be building afterwards on one side of it on a deck 3 feet off the ground, but that may be a price I’m willing to pay.

I hadn’t considered it til you mentioned it a few weeks ago Charles, but now that I think about it more, it may make the most sense overall.

Viewing 19 posts - 381 through 399 (of 399 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.667 seconds