dcsimg

Kevin's Overhang/Cabana/Patio Build.

This topic contains 365 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 hour, 2 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 366 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Actually, the guy came back to drop it for its second load and there was still about a quarter of its contents of gummy clay stuck to the far end still. I spoke to the owner and he told the guy to go to the shop and dig it out into another bin. The guy said he tried to get it off at the farm where he dumped it, but said he would be at it for an hour so he decided not to. The boss on the phone was pissed at him.

Wow that is too bad the bin came back the way it did. Sounds like it was too much work for him. I sure the boss was pissed. It also sounds like may not last at this job.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I don’t know who Lasco is

I thought Lasco Steel was in behind Princess Auto in Whitby. You can see it for the 401. Now it is called Gerdau Ameristeel.

Greg

Doobie
    Pro

I thought Lasco Steel was in behind Princess Auto in Whitby. You can see it for the 401. Now it is called Gerdau Ameristeel.

Maybe that’s where they get it from, but I would think it comes from an actual smelter operation likely out Hamilton way. The steel slag is a waste by-product of the smelting process. Apparently, they can’t get rid of this stuff and this landscape place probably gets it for the cost of transportation only.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Maybe that’s where they get it from, but I would think it comes from an actual smelter operation likely out Hamilton way. The steel slag is a waste by-product of the smelting process. Apparently, they can’t get rid of this stuff and this landscape place probably gets it for the cost of transportation only.

I am not sure. I just know that place was called Lasco Steel. You could be right it comes from Hamilton.

Greg

Growing up around the Sudbury area it was a pretty common thing to go watch the slag being dumped in the evening. Rail cars of it coming from the refineries. It was the place to go “parking”.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Wow lots of progress. Is this on your shop permit or is it a separate one?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@doobie wow, that’s coming along good so far, hopefully the weather keeps up until you get the dirt covered up,
    16 x16 posts wood? And how many will you use for the roof,
    Maybe they get the Steel slag from
    Dofasco in Hamilton, they produce lots and lots of steel

Those are some big posts, what and how are they going to be built

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Growing up around the Sudbury area it was a pretty common thing to go watch the slag being dumped in the evening. Rail cars of it coming from the refineries. It was the place to go “parking”.

Wow, that’s pretty amazing. But is it just a dumping ground? I wonder what that place looks like in the day time.

@doobie I can’t believe that! You’d think the older guys would know better.

But I guess I’ve seen some older guys just not want to spend the time on something that might seem beneath them and try to cut corners on the little things…I guess it can go either way. Usually I find the people who’ve been in a trade that long develop a high sense of pride in their work and like it done to a certain standard at all times, but if you don’t have that pride in your work, I can see it slowly devolving into a “who cares” attitude that sticks to every little thing. Bummer for that boss though.

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Hamilton would produce more but IIRC, the capacity of that Whitby operation is in the order of 75 tons of steel an hour; a lot of slag will come off that quantity of steel even though it is a scrap remelt operation. They may have to pay to have it taken away, there isn’t much real estate there.

@cmeyer25 Any place where slag has been dumped looks a lot like the surface of the moon.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Wow, that’s pretty amazing. But is it just a dumping ground? I wonder what that place looks like in the day time.

Like a mountain size pile of black rock with railway tracks on top of it.

They once smelted in open pits (the outset of the 20th century) and the sulphur fumes killed most of the plant matter for miles. Just outside of Sudbury is a town called Coniston and in the late ’60’s the Apollo astronauts went there to practice their walks on the moon. Since then with scrubbers and such removing much of the pollutants and a greening program started by former mayor Tom Davies (who lived across the street from me growing up) it has come back in a big way to a more natural habitat.

The sulphuric acid from the scrubbers were once trucked to Elliot Lake by a trucking company where I had my first job out of high school. It was used to refine the Uranium from the mines there.

Doobie
    Pro

Wow lots of progress. Is this on your shop permit or is it a separate one?

Permit? Permit you say…..what’s a permit?

I’ll feign ignorance again if I get the knock on the door….”Well golly-gee…I thought since the Cabana portion wasn’t over 108 square feet I didn’t need a permit”.

Actually, I think not getting in my neighbors face about him snitching on me has maybe paid off. He’s the only guy I’m worried about. Remember those hacks a week ago gettin rid of that neighbors cedar hedge row and the massive stump? Well, the actual contractor has since been putting up the fence. Neighbor realized his lawn back there was incredibly uneven and asked if he could have some of the dirt I was simply dumping into the dumpster and paying to get rid of.

We discovered that the dingo could fit into his side yard gate with three inches to spare. I ended up haulin over maybe about 8 full buckets of dirt over there for him which is great for me as now after today I have just enough room likely in this second bin for the dirt for when I auger out the pier holes. He’s savin having to pay somebody to bring in clean fill, and I’m avoiding $150 dumping fee for a third bin.

Navigating that Dingo thru his side gate was risky but I didn’t bump it once. I was a steely eyed missile man on this one with never having used a machine like this in my life although in my youth I was a helluva good lift truck driver in a warehouse I worked in for over 5 years.

Regardless, I’m glad I never got in his face years ago when he snitched on my over-sized shed build. It pays to take the high road sometimes and chill. Now if he does call the town on me, there’s gonna be one dead neighbor maybe. Take my dirt as a favor and then turn me in? I don’t think I will be able to hold back another time.

Good luck with everything Doobie. Having the place for the dirt to go is super for you. It’s saving your pocket book too. I can’t imagine the neighbor making a stink.

Doobie
    Pro

Day two went OK. I gotta say I was beat from dealing with those heavy mother old concrete patio slabs yesterday. Some moments I just wanted to go in the house and flop out, but kept the ball rollin except for mini break after my wife made me a late day lunch mid afternoon.

As my previous post mentioned, I moved a bunch of dirt over to the neighbors and I’m about 3/4 filled on my second bin by days end. Aside from the piers hole dirt, I think I’ll be good with just the two bins.

One mini scare was suddenly discovering how close one of the corner piers will be to my 60 amp undergrond feed I laid in the fall of 2016 to my shed. It’s close man. But I do have 2 X 6 boards laid on top of the two conduits I buried so I hope I don’t get into trouble. I’m thinking I’ll probably turn the shed’s breaker feed in my house panel when I dig that one just to be safe.

That Dingo is tiring. Being a newbie at it and having to navigate in tight places wears on the brain. The body gets a good shaking too. I went and got my new anti-vibration impact gloves on today after I found yesterday after using it my hands had hints at getting the shakes. After using them today for a longer period driving the dingo today, I feel they made a difference. My hands fell fine right now.

I’m glad I had sand to lay accross my driveway for driving the dingo on. Today when driving and turning a wide circle on my neighbors driveway to get loads thru his side gate, you really feel a difference of the treads getting shaky doing such on hot bare asphalt. I had to stop and reposition doin that wide turn a few times. In my driveway you can turn on a dime practically. The sand bed makes a huge difference for tread wear and keeping the driver from being a milkshake.

End of day Pics from today….

Looks like you’re doing alright Doobie. I wish all that dirt could be dumped here. There’s always room for more. Keep up the good work.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Gotta love it when things work out like that. Nice to have that neighbor more on your side and less likely to cause trouble and it sounds like you got a lot done too!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Looks like you’re doing alright Doobie. I wish all that dirt could be dumped here. There’s always room for more. Keep up the good work.

A lot of what I dumped in that bin so far was beautifully rich top soil. If we had the means between us Jim, and proximity of course, you could have easily gotten a few good yards.

Now that I think about it. I should maybe pull some and spread on some weaker spots and depressions on my front lawn. Maybe I’ll get my son to do that tomorrow before potential rains/thunderstorms may hit us over the next two days that are potentially in our forecast I just looked at.

….it sounds like you got a lot done too!

Yep, two good productive days so far to start the actual work. The pre-planning brain work has been going on for years though…lol! I actually bumped this outdoor project ahead of others I wanted it so much and had finally more or less figured out what I wanted to mainly do.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Now that I think about it. I should maybe pull some and spread on some weaker spots and depressions on my front lawn.

Yeah don’t throw that top soil away. Use it to level the front yard.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@doobie Looking good Kevin,
    Definitely turn the power off to the shed while digging around the feed,
    But it definitely sounds like you have everything under control
    Keep it up. Nice job

Batty
    Pro

I can’t wait to see the end result. I’ll be following this. Hurry. 🙂

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Permit? Permit you say…..what’s a permit?

I’ll feign ignorance again if I get the knock on the door….”Well golly-gee…I thought since the Cabana portion wasn’t over 108 square feet I didn’t need a permit”.

Wow really?? anything with uplift here needs a permit. Anything that cost over 1,000$ need a permit. They are really lax up there. We can not even get a can dropped with out a permit.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 366 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.569 seconds