dcsimg

Kevin's Overhang/Cabana/Patio Build.

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

We’d always just tap the sides with a hammer and it was good.

Same here. Slide a brick trowel down all around the form and tap with a hammer.

This what I have done or what I have saw other people do.

But this is so much more fun, quicker and easier too. I think you get better results as well when you have a stiff mix as well. It really helps that the mix to slump into all the nooks real good. You can really tell when you use it.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The vibrator when used all around will minimize air voids over the entire pour. The tapping of the sides will help resettle the edges so when you take the forms off the edges will look better with less voids.

Doobie

UPDATE…..Or a sad update of sorts. I just can’t believe how time keeps running away from me on this project. Had a lot of unexpected events diverting me away the last month and a half, and I’m truly hoping to get on track with the actual structural build of this project in the coming days. I can hear my miter saws screaming at me that I set up in August….come and use us!

One dillema was with all the concrete. I embarked a bunch of other concrete jobs ordering my skids of bagged concrete for this job. They’re all done but for one other slab to pour. As usual, one of my my good/bad habits is trying for efficiency in tagging something like this with other projects I had in mind that were concrete related. But with other unrelated delays and such, I’m kinda depressed a bit with where I’m at with the whole cabana/overhang build at this juncture.

I’ll keep you all posted as I roll along. I’m just worried about the season coming to an end earlier for outdoor work this year. The past few years I’ve been lucky with working outside up until almost Christmas. I feel in my bones right now that will not be the case for such a long work season this year. Fingers crossed!

Mini personal rant-off over!

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

UPDATE…..Or a sad update of sorts. I just can’t believe how time keeps running away from me on this project. Had a lot of unexpected events diverting me away the last month and a half, and I’m truly hoping to get on track with the actual structural build of this project in the coming days. I can hear my miter saws screaming at me that I set up in August….come and use us!

One dillema was with all the concrete. I embarked a bunch of other concrete jobs ordering my skids of bagged concrete for this job. They’re all done but for one other slab to pour. As usual, one of my my good/bad habits is trying for efficiency in tagging something like this with other projects I had in mind that were concrete related. But with other unrelated delays and such, I’m kinda depressed a bit with where I’m at with the whole cabana/overhang build at this juncture.

I’ll keep you all posted as I roll along. I’m just worried about the season coming to an end earlier for outdoor work this year. The past few years I’ve been lucky with working outside up until almost Christmas. I feel in my bones right now that will not be the case for such a long work season this year. Fingers crossed!

Mini personal rant-off over!

Good luck in the days ahead. I guess it is hard to say what the weather will do really. I have seen some bad weather in November. But I have also seem really nice weather.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

@Doobie well good luck with all that Kevin, do what you can,

Doobie

Update. At this point late in a season that has been unreal with rain days and beyond normal busy in my regular business at best I will get the cabana portion built with a temporary cover just to store stuff in over the winter.

I’m stunned at how I’ve been stymied with my actual build efforts outside this year. It’s just been an endless aray of crap slowing me, but also I’m showing my age at times with how much energy I can devote to such things after I’ve taken care of the other areas of life, never mind the ‘sheety’ weather this summer and fall. Discouraging somewhat, but I’ll muster on regardless and get done what I can.

I’ve been working on when I can with a lean-to shed that I really need semi-functional for winter that I also poured a concrete base for, and I still need to pour another slab also before everyrhing starts to freeze for my pool mechanicals to be ready for next spring. As usual, I bit off more than I could chew with project ambitions.

@Doobie , look at it this way, at least you have most of the materials on site for future work, so when you get a chance, you can get small things done piece by piece,

I know exactly what you mean about showing my age , lol 👴hang in there

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Update. At this point late in a season that has been unreal with rain days and beyond normal busy in my regular business at best I will get the cabana portion built with a temporary cover just to store stuff in over the winter.

I’m stunned at how I’ve been stymied with my actual build efforts outside this year. It’s just been an endless aray of crap slowing me, but also I’m showing my age at times with how much energy I can devote to such things after I’ve taken care of the other areas of life, never mind the ‘sheety’ weather this summer and fall. Discouraging somewhat, but I’ll muster on regardless and get done what I can.

I’ve been working on when I can with a lean-to shed that I really need semi-functional for winter that I also poured a concrete base for, and I still need to pour another slab also before everyrhing starts to freeze for my pool mechanicals to be ready for next spring. As usual, I bit off more than I could chew with project ambitions.

It sure has been crappy weather. Just maybe it will clear up and December will be a good month to get stuff done outside. I know how you feel about not getting things done. Seems to be the story of my life. It is one thing or another. It also seems like every week one or two more things get add to my plate. I believe the age factor is starting to hit me also. I just keep powering through and get done what I can.

Good Luck Kevin!

Greg

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Hopefully the weather treats you well. looking forward to your build

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Old thread warning

I’m looking forward to seeing you get back to the build Kevin

You really did a great job on the shed
    So I’m expecting this should be beautiful

I didn’t go back in the thread , I forget if it’s a kind of floating deck on posts , or is it a paving stone /slabs.

If I remember correctly I think you are doing some sort of slate tile ?

Doobie

Old thread warning

I didn’t go back in the thread , I forget if it’s a kind of floating deck on posts , or is it a paving stone /slabs.

I’ll be getting back on it soon. I have a concrete job I have to do first in the coming week or two once I finish up in the office for the season, then a few niggly little jobs, but after that, it’s build time on the Cabana/Overhang build.

The cabana part is indeed a deck on piers, and so are the other support bases for the overhang. Where there is no cabana structure, I’m putting natural stones for which I already have the substrate base mostly ready for.

This is the stone wifey and I were looking at last fall to lay down.

http://oakvillestone.com/rainbow/

I’m wondering now though if it might be too dark and we might want to go with something lighter in tone of colour unless I put in a couple of skylights to brighten up the area.

Old thread warning

I’ll be getting back on it soon. I have a concrete job I have to do first in the coming week or two once I finish up in the office for the season, then a few niggly little jobs, but after that, it’s build time on the Cabana/Overhang build.

The cabana part is indeed a deck on piers, and so are the other support bases for the overhang. Where there is no cabana structure, I’m putting natural stones for which I already have the substrate base mostly ready for.

I’m wondering now though if it might be too dark and we might want to go with something lighter in tone of colour unless I put in a couple of skylights to brighten up the area.

Oh yeah
    I forget about that
    Looks interesting
    Thanks for the update

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Old thread warning

I forward see this project come together.
    That stone looks like it has a wood grain in it. I like it.

Greg

Doobie

Old thread warning

I forward see this project come together.
    That stone looks like it has a wood grain in it. I like it.

I know. It’s a nice very natural looking woodgrain of sorts. No two stones are the same.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice to see you’ll be back to work on this.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Nice to see you’ll be back to work on this.

UPDATE

Well, the ‘concrete job’ I needed to do first before getting back at this build involved me initially moving the 70 or so bags off my driveway where they sat covered all winter into my backyard where in doing so a few weeks ago I ended up re-injuring a left shoulder rotator cuff.

It’s been a slow effort at trying to recuperate from that enough to undertake any real build work, but I’ve been diligently trying to do my range of motion and re-strenthening exercises and took a stab today at putting some effort into the overhang/cabana build.

Basically, where I left off was I had most of the coarse steel slag sub-base for the natural stone we want to put in the one foot pit I dug out for it but it needed further proper spreading and some calcs of whether I in fact had enough of it and had to order more. Turns out I have what seems to be enough of the coarse underlay of the sub base.

Mindful of my shoulder, I carefully shovelled and raked the slag and took periodic measurements with my Bosch rotary laser and receiver on the grade rod to get it overall close enough to where it should be all around.

I used my 6 1/2 foot SOLA non magnetic level too, but it was really the Bosch 300 rotary level set up that was the real champion today with determining where I should move the steel slag agregate to. You can’t use any magnetic edged levels with this stuff or a gazillion bits of metal slag will be all over stuck to it in no time. One of my mistakes was to briefly inadvertently use a tape measure that has a magnetic tip. Sure enough, it was caked on the end with bits of granular slag and I had to be careful reeling it back in to make sure none of the slag got inside its inner casing. It would jam it up in quick order othewise.

So after compacting it with my plate compactor I needed to maybe make the decision of whether I go and order the finer grade slag and the stones we want first and then build the structure or do I just lay some ply over most the slag area and build now and stone later. I ended up putting down the ply for now. I need that down for my Baker MetalTech scaffolding anyways and wifey will like being able to walk out there without having the slag directly underfoot.

@Doobie , it’s looking good Kevin
    Definitely different working with slag and a magnet level
    I’ve never used it before , do you have to do the same course of stone /stonedust and sand
    I know you mentioned two different types of slag , after that do you do that sand layer ,

Doobie

@doobie , it’s looking good Kevin
    I’ve never used it before , do you have to do the same course of stone /stonedust and sand
    I know you mentioned two different types of slag , after that do you do that sand layer ,

No sand. You have a base of what is essentially coarse slag. Then you top with finer grade slag, then the stones.

One of the advantages of the steel slag over other sub base aggregates is that it not only compresses like stone and is less prone to water infiltration damage, but it also will not be a hone to ants. Yes, ANTS. They will not build nests in this stuff.

Steel slag costs the same as what they charge for traditional ‘A-gravel’ that most use for the sub base main, but it is not widely available or is simply not ‘known’ to be a better alternative by most that do paver stone installations. I’ve got one place I know of outside east of Toronto that offers it. Everywhere else, you ask about it and they look at you like you’ve got two heads they’ve never heard of it.

@doobie , it’s looking good Kevin

No sand. You have a base of what is essentially coarse slag. Then you top with finer grade slag, then the stones.

One of the advantages of the steel slag over other sub base aggregates is that it not only compresses like stone and is less prone to water infiltration damage, but it also will not be a hone to ants. Yes, ANTS. They will not build nests in this stuff.

Steel slag costs the same as what they charge for traditional ‘A-gravel’ that most use for the sub base main, but it is not widely available or is simply not ‘known’ to be a better alternative by most that do paver stone installations. I’ve got one place I know of outside east of Toronto that offers it. Everywhere else, you ask about it and they look at you like you’ve got two heads they’ve never heard of it.

Ah okay , I remember that you will not have those pesky ants ,
    I just couldn’t remember if you need sand for the final top before the Stone , okay another question , will you use the polymer sand between the stone , I assume that the final slag must compact enough to not allow the polymer sand to fall to far down

I should look into this over here , I wonder if I would get those looks also LoL

Doobie

I should look into this over here , I wonder if I would get those looks also LoL

You can’t potentially expect to find steel slag everywhere in NA. It is a waste bi-product of the steel smelting process. Hamilton, which is an hour and half from where I live, has steel mills and is historically a hub of raw steel production. This stuff is the bi-product waste of that production, but you wouldn’t be transporting it more than hundreds of miles for sale. In fact, I think they probably give it away for free to places that will simply haul it away and use it.

I saw something online researching it a long time ago that they use it for sub bases for highways in the states. Can’t recall for sure, but it would probably be within stones throw of a place like Pittsburgh where they are basically another ‘Steel Town’ in the states like Hamilton is up here.

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 399 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.517 seconds