dcsimg

Kevin's Overhang/Cabana/Patio Build.

This topic contains 348 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  madman_us 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 349 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Thought I’d start a thread of my latest build.

Here’s where its all happening. Already started with the work of removing the old patio here. Getting a little slowed down with some of hand prep work of re-purposing some of the old patio stone slabs and some rainy weather already. Had to move some things over like my watering hose stand and my BBQ over.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What is the time frame on this project?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Looks like a lot of rain considering the traces in the driveway.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Here’s where its all happening. Already started with the work of removing the old patio here. Getting a little slowed down with some of hand prep work of re-purposing some of the old patio stone slabs and some rainy weather already. Had to move some things over like my watering hose stand and my BBQ over.

Looks like you will be busy for the next little while. Hope all goes well.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Have fun with the Bobcat version of the Dingo. That has to help a ton with the heavy lifting. Nice looking grass by the way. I have always admired a nice lawn for whatever reason.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Ground work is always the most time consuming- especially when you’re trying to save pieces. But it looks like a great space for a covered area, and I can’t wait to see how the build goes!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Major big first full day at it. Relocated patio stones for where will be under a deck but still an area that desperately needed them.

Moved other ones for an additional work area outside my shed that had sand already from an old small 15 foot round pool.

Then I got on that Dingo for an hour and half and filled up my first 4 1/2 yard bin. New one should be here in the morning. I also set up a temp gang plank so we still access from the back patio door.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Major big first full day at it. Relocated patio stones for where will be under a deck but still an area that desperately needed them.

Moved other ones for an additional work area outside my shed that had sand already from an old small 15 foot round pool.

Then I got on that Dingo for an hour and half and filled up my first 4 1/2 yard bin. New one should be here in the morning. I also set up a temp gang plant so we still access from the back patio door.

Not wasting a moment, are you? Are you having to dig so much because you’re putting in some sort of foundation? Why are you going so deep?

Charlie

Instagram

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

pretty cool project you have going there. keep us posted daily 😛

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Then I got on that Dingo for an hour and half and filled up my first 4 1/2 yard bin. New one should be here in the morning. I also set up a temp gang plant so we still access from the back patio door.

Not wasting a moment, are you? Are you having to dig so much because you’re putting in some sort of foundation? Why are you going so deep?

I’m curious as well. Why all the soil removal?

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Major big first full day at it.

Looks like a nice project. Keep at it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Two reasons. Per all the paver pros who have a good or best reputation, 10 to 12 inches deep sub base OR til you hit the hard clay is what is required around here for a good sub base that will last, secondly, there needs to be piers that are 4 feet deep and the guys I’m renting the Bobcat and auger bit from don’t have the extension bit for the 3 foot long 12in dia auger bits.

The piers will be mostly boxed for the upper foot as I will be cladding 16 X 16 inch columns with cultured stone. Once they are set in place, I will use steel slag for filling the sub base around them and tampering down with my new plate compactor as I fill it in layers.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Two reasons. Per all the paver pros who have a good or best reputation, 10 to 12 inches deep sub base OR til you hit the hard clay is what is required around here for a good sub base that will last, secondly, there needs to be piers that are 4 feet deep and the guys I’m renting the Bobcat and auger bit from don’t have the extension bit for the 3 foot long 12in dia auger bits.

The piers will be mostly boxed for the upper foot as I will be cladding 16 X 16 inch columns with cultured stone. Once they are set in place, I will use steel slag for filling the sub base around them and tampering down with my new plate compactor as I fill it in layers.

Wow, so you have to dig it all 4’ deep then just to get the piers set? That’s going to be a ton of compacting!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Wow, so you have to dig it all 4’ deep then just to get the piers set? That’s going to be a ton of compacting!

You misread. I’m excavating about a foot max over the entire area, then I auger out holes three feet further down so that once the steel slag sub base is compacted in there the piers go down the 4 feet as required in this region.

Here’s pics of the first dirt bin pickup. The driver was being trained by the other guy and this is his first dirt pickup. He laughed when I asked him how it felt to have popped his dirt bin cherry, lol!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

You misread. I’m excavating about a foot max over the entire area, then I auger out holes three further down so that once the steel slag sub base is compacted in there the piers go down the 4 feet as required in this region.

Here’s pics of the first dirt bin pickup. The driver was being trained by the other guy and this is his first dirt pickup.

That makes more sense, thanks for clarifying.

Looks like the new guy did alright.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

You misread. I’m excavating about a foot max over the entire area, then I auger out holes three further down so that once the steel slag sub base is compacted in there the piers go down the 4 feet as required in this region.

Here’s pics of the first dirt bin pickup. The driver was being trained by the other guy and this is his first dirt pickup.

Actually, the guy came back to drop it for its second load and there was still about a quarter of its contents of gummy clay stuck to the far end still. I spoke to the owner and he told the guy to go to the shop and dig it out into another bin. The guy said he tried to get it off at the farm where he dumped it, but said he would be at it for an hour so he decided not to. The boss on the phone was pissed at him.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Actually, the guy came back to drop it for its second load and there was still about a quarter of its contents of gummy clay stuck to the far end still. I spoke to the owner and he told the guy to go to the shop and dig it out into another bin. The guy said he tried to get it off at the farm where he dumped it, but said he would be at it for an hour so he decided not to. The boss on the phone was pissed at him.

That’s some serious mixed priorities there – fast vs done right. I can see, given our societal norms, why the kid might think you or his boss would prefer speedy over fully done, but hopefully he’ll be able to make the adjustment before that kind of thinking gets him tossed to the curb!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

That’s some serious mixed priorities there – fast vs done right. I can see, given our societal norms, why the kid might think you or his boss would prefer speedy over fully done, but hopefully he’ll be able to make the adjustment before that kind of thinking gets him tossed to the curb!

He’s not a kid either. He looks older than me by the grey hair alone. The place I rented the bin from was a scrap metal yard, so I’m not too sure that type of place is overly demanding for qualifications for the job.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Once they are set in place, I will use steel slag for filling the sub base around them and tampering down with my new plate compactor as I fill it in layers.

Is the aggregate coming from Lasco? Is it commonly available in your area?

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Once they are set in place, I will use steel slag for filling the sub base around them and tampering down with my new plate compactor as I fill it in layers.

Is the aggregate coming from Lasco? Is it commonly available in your area?

I don’t know who Lasco is. I’m getting the steel slag from a nursery/garden center near me that the owner also does pavers and driveways using steel slag in lieu of aggregate. It’s the same price for either and steel slag is way better based on my research. Nobody else around here I know of carries it.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 349 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.644 seconds