dcsimg

keeping the bark on live edge

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

Is there a way to keep the bark on walnut slab? I’ve read that it depends on the season it’s cut regardless of species whether or not the lumber is able to keep the bark. If the tree is cut during the summer the bark will fall off, if the tree is cut in the winter then the bark will stay on. I had to take the bark off mine, most came off easy but some parts were really difficult to chisel off. Can anyone prove or disprove this theory?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If you give it a good coat of epoxy wouldn’t it stay on???

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

yellaD
    Pro

I thought about doing that, but wasn’t sure how much would be needed and didn’t want to go halfway with it. Plus applying it evenly so I wouldn’t have to clean it up is crucial…I’ve tried to youTube and do some research before on this topic but couldn’t find anything. Next time I would try to epoxy it, but would prefer not to..it could get expensive.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I remember reading somewhere the bark and the actual wood expands differently due to the difference in material even though both are wood but with two different purposes. Your best bet is probably to dip the whole edge in epoxy or glue like the wood turners do.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Your best bet is probably to dip the whole edge in epoxy or glue like the wood turners do.

That’s what I was thinking.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

yellaD
    Pro

I remember reading somewhere the bark and the actual wood expands differently due to the difference in material even though both are wood but with two different purposes. Your best bet is probably to dip the whole edge in epoxy or glue like the wood turners do.

Dipping a 6′ length is not realistic for me…what about brushing on epoxy? Tricky, I think…I dunno.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I never done anything like that.
    Did you find anything on YouTube?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

yellaD
    Pro

I looked on youtube and anyone working with walnut took the bark off. I couldn’t find anyone using epoxy in a way that I could realistically do. Nor do I know what kind or grade of epoxy to use.

Doobie

I’ve seen how you can use epoxy to retain a live edge. It’s messy, and you need the right type of epoxy – there are different types – but it is doable. Never done it myself.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I looked on youtube and anyone working with walnut took the bark off. I couldn’t find anyone using epoxy in a way that I could realistically do. Nor do I know what kind or grade of epoxy to use.

You use West systems 2 part epoxy. I think it would work if you could spray it on.

Dirty

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The west systems is nice. Make sure you get the UV stable version or you may get some slight yellowing. Typically epoxies are not UV stable on their own.

I’ve done a few live edge pieces but the bark is always off. I think spraying would the best if you can dip but brushing could work as well, but it’s going to be messy and may require more work after the fact??

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The west systems is nice. Make sure you get the UV stable version or you may get some slight yellowing. Typically epoxies are not UV stable on their own.

I’ve done a few live edge pieces but the bark is always off. I think spraying would the best if you can dip but brushing could work as well, but it’s going to be messy and may require more work after the fact??

Yeah I think it would require some maintanace after the fact. Recently the barn will fall off and you’d probably have to refile it.

I know its not the same, but there are videos out on how to “bark” a live edge that doesnt have the bark. Just a bunch of abrasion, followed by a dark stain. Looks authentic, and cant fall off

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

You might find this video helpful. It’s cherry, not walnut but not that far of a stretch.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Found this video for preserving black locust bark which is thick like walnut…maybe this will help you

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I love those live edge wood things.
    Thanks for the videos.
    I know a guy big Ben on the north shore that between being a pro surfer he’s a pro wood worker. He works with a lot of slab wood and live edges.
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/diy-ben-wilkinson_121654/

https://www.facebook.com/BenWilkinsonFurniture?fref=nf

Dirty

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I love those live edge wood things.
    Thanks for the videos.
    I know a guy big Ben on the north shore that between being a pro surfer he’s a pro wood worker. He works with a lot of slab wood and live edges.
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/diy-ben-wilkinson_121654/

https://www.facebook.com/BenWilkinsonFurniture?fref=nf

Thanks for the link …. interesting work and a great attitude.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

yellaD
    Pro

Yes that’s what I’m thinking as well. I have the West system, but not sure if it’s the UV res one…there is a HUGE MESS that’s so hard to clean up after. I don’t have a sprayer nor would I chance it cuz, again, that would take so much to clean out after!

@smallerstick
    , I follow his channel too! HAHA he’s got a great set-up and property.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks for the link …. interesting work and a great attitude.

I don’t know him well but jjp does the guy with the lazy piggs house. Big Ben is invited to the big wave contest all over the world. He is a very nice guy and paddles out into moving mountains.

Dirty

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That is pretty cool, thanks for the link DWB. There are so many interesting guys on the islands.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.545 seconds