dcsimg

Keeping holesaw from getting stuck on mandrel

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

There are always Forstner bits that one can use for a lot of situations instead of hole saws.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

The bigger ones need a lot of downward pressure though, as you get up in size it also becomes impractical outside of a drill press.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

There are always Forstner bits that one can use for a lot of situations instead of hole saws.

True but Forstener bits in the larger sizes are expensive.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

The bigger ones need a lot of downward pressure though, as you get up in size it also becomes impractical outside of a drill press.

True. I actually just got a RA drill that I could use with the bigger ones.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Forstener bits on the drill press are usually the way I use mine.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

And you have to be careful how you use the bigger ones when not in a drillpress. They jam, they can wrench you and your drill around pretty good.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

And you have to be careful how you use the bigger ones when not in a drillpress. They jam, they can wrench you and your drill around pretty good.

That’s what the Bosch anti kick back feature is for.

Doobie

That’s what the Bosch anti kick back feature is for.

On what drill(s) does Bosch have that? I’m not familiar with that feature.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I know for sure on the hdh181x thats their 4 pole brushed hammer drill/ driver and I think on their newest ec model as well.

I know for sure on the hdh181x thats their 4 pole brushed hammer drill/ driver and I think on their newest ec model as well.

Yes that’s the one, HDH181, I just got it a couple of months ago, haven’t tried to see how it works yet.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Yes that’s the one, HDH181, I just got it a couple of months ago, haven’t tried to see how it works yet.

Hold it in your hand and pull the trigger, now twist your wrist really quick and the drill will stop and LED blinking. 😀

Doobie

Hold it in your hand and pull the trigger, now twist your wrist really quick and the drill will stop and LED blinking. 😀

Is that the only model that uas that feature that Bosch makes?

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

A trick I found that works good for getting plugs out, drive 2 drywall screws into the plug on opposite sides of the center bit, leave them sticking out. Then use those screws as a “handle” and twist it out.

A trick I found that works good for getting plugs out, drive 2 drywall screws into the plug on opposite sides of the center bit, leave them sticking out. Then use those screws as a “handle” and twist it out.

I may have to try this, thanks.

Will

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

this makes tons of sense, i’ll have to give this a go.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Only two I know are the DDH181X and HDH181X brute tough model. Newer ones only, the older ones without X in model name don’t.

Doobie

Only two I know are the DDH181X and HDH181X brute tough model. Newer ones only, the older ones without X in model name don’t.

I have neither. Just a model production 2003 of the DDH181. Shucks, now I need another drill? 😉

I did find an article about this technology here…

http://toolguyd.com/bosch-18v-drills-ddh181x-hdh181x/

They are both currently on the prize list. I may be inclined to get the HDH181X as I have no smallish hammer capable drills in my arsenal.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/hammer-drills-hdh181xbl-55437-p/

Wonder if this technology will be available in some future brushless models at some point. Not that it really matters to me. Brushed tools, don’t bother me.

Whoever brought up this Active Response Technology in this thread, ‘Thank you’. I was not aware of it up til now.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.540 seconds