dcsimg

Keeping holesaw from getting stuck on mandrel

This topic contains 56 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Author

I use the spyder rapid core eject system. I like it a lot because it solves both problems. The mandrel has the pull back pin feature, plus there is a push button which allows you to slide the saw back and eject the core without any tools. It works with any hole saw that uses the standard mandrel. I have Bosch, Lennox, Irwin, and Spyder saws in different sizes. Bang for the buck I’d put spyder against any of them.

http://www.spyderproducts.com/toolpages/spyder-hole-saw/

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

You can try a small dab of anti sieze lube on the threads but in reality you just need to go buy the better quick release arbor. It was invented to solve this exact issue.

Anti seize, darn how could I forget that.

I’ll try it and report back.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

No I don’t have the collar and the two pins to hold hole saw in place, the mandrel screws onto the hole saw until it bottoms out.

That type just gets tighter when you use them…nature of the beast. The quick connect type a better about this, but the plug can still get stuck.

Yes, the fix to this problem is the new arbor with the two pins.
    I have the Milwaukee hole saws, they have a lifetime tooth warranty so if I break a tooth I get a new saw.
    @doobie I just got some recently but have not had the chance to use them yet. The multi constructions saws I got have a 1/2 inch quick change arbor with no threads.

I had no idea about that warranty. It’s good to know. Now I am even more glad that I bought that set.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I tried it with antiseize on thread of mandrel and saw. It comes apart a lot easier now, didn’t need an impact driver, but it still ain’t coming off without an adjustable spanner.

So this is probably as good as it gets until I can upgrade to a set with quick detach mandrel.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Holesaws are by far getting better with every year that goes by. It is about time as often as they are used. The only problem is the price is adjusting accordingly.

If only they were more universal and exchangeable as it stands we need to have some of them all

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

This is one area where you truly get what you pay for.

Does anybody have any Bosch hole saw sets?

I have one, bought about 5 ish years ago, love it, it has the pins that pushes into the hole saw.
    Great set, it’s the one 58Chev posted.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I use the spyder rapid core eject system. I like it a lot because it solves both problems. The mandrel has the pull back pin feature, plus there is a push button which allows you to slide the saw back and eject the core without any tools. It works with any hole saw that uses the standard mandrel. I have Bosch, Lennox, Irwin, and Spyder saws in different sizes. Bang for the buck I’d put spyder against any of them.

http://www.spyderproducts.com/toolpages/spyder-hole-saw/

This is the first positive thing I’ve heard about Spyder. Everyone I know stays away because their stuff looks gimmicky.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The Spyder system looks interesting. Solves the “get the core out” problem.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

If your drilling thin stuff, I kinda like the Bosch Thin Wall Hole saws.

They have a spring in them to assist with the removal of material.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

If your drilling thin stuff, I kinda like the Bosch Thin Wall Hole saws.

They have a spring in them to assist with the removal of material.

All wood here, so can’t use that. I think I’ll keep watching the price of a quick detach kit and get one when a good deal comes around.

Doobie

Is it really that simple….

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/uImGmNok4aA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Drywall, not gonna happen with wood I’d bet.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

In the video he even says drywall like he knows it won’t work with wood

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/uImGmNok4aA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Definitely will not happen with a wood plug. Drill through a top plate (or any other 2x) and try this and you end up with a dented hole saw, missing paint and a sore wrist….and the plug will still be jammed in the saw.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Definitely will not happen with a wood plug. Drill through a top plate (or any other 2x) and try this and you end up with a dented hole saw, missing paint and a sore wrist….and the plug will still be jammed in the saw.

Ah yeah that’s not gonna work, I always have to pry it out in the slots on the side with a screw driver ,

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I saw a tip in fine homebulding magazine once that said to run a screw through the plug. Then it will hit the back of the saw and wind itself up and out.

Doobie

I saw a tip in fine homebulding magazine once that said to run a screw through the plug. Then it will hit the back of the saw and wind itself up and out.

There’s all sorts of ways to get them out. Some easier than others.

For some reason I’m the hard knocks way . Hammer and slotted screw driver hit that baby out .

Always willing to learn .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Problem is most of them take time and require you to stop what your doing and then spend time cleaning out the plug and moving on to the next hole. Easier cleanout in a hole saw is nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Something just occurred to me, how tight the plug stucks probably depends on how much set the hole saw teeth has. If it has more set then the plug would be undersized and easy to remove, if it has less set the plug would be barely smaller than hole saw inside diameter and thus hard to remove.

If you have a set that’s hard to get plugs out and also have a teeth setter for hand saw, perhaps bending the inset teeth a bit more would make the plug comes out easier. Of course this is just speculation, haven’t tested it yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.630 seconds