dcsimg

Keeping holesaw from getting stuck on mandrel

This topic contains 56 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I have a set of holesaw with screw on mandrel, and every time I use one of the bigger sizes the damn thing gets stuck, and need a wrench or impact driver to separate them. Tried to oil the threads but didn’t help at all.

Other than getting a set with quick attach mandrel, any ideas on keeping it from happening to begin with?

Clev08
    Pro

So your mandrel doesn’t have a sliding collar like this?

Attachments:

I have a set of holesaw with screw on mandrel, and every time I use one of the bigger sizes the damn thing gets stuck, and need a wrench or impact driver to separate them. Tried to oil the threads but didn’t help at all.

Other than getting a set with quick attach mandrel, any ideas on keeping it from happening to begin with?

Same darn issue here. I have two hole saws permanently set up because the mandrels seized a long time ago

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

No I don’t have the collar and the two pins to hold hole saw in place, the mandrel screws onto the hole saw until it bottoms out.

Same darn issue here. I have two hole saws permanently set up because the mandrels seized a long time ago

Try an impact driver with right sized socket for the hex shaft, makes removing it a lot easier.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

No I don’t have the collar and the two pins to hold hole saw in place, the mandrel screws onto the hole saw until it bottoms out.

That type just gets tighter when you use them…nature of the beast. The quick connect type a better about this, but the plug can still get stuck.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

woodman_412

I used to have the same issue with an older hole saw set that I used but ever since I switched to the DeWalt set I haven’t had any issues since it has the pin system and seems to release pretty easily. Having said that I haven’t been super impressed with how the DeWalt set cuts, the teeth clog up pretty quick. I’ve borrowed a Lennox set before and really liked that.

Dan

danpattison.com

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Having said that I haven’t been super impressed with how the DeWalt set cuts, the teeth clog up pretty quick. I’ve borrowed a Lennox set before and really liked that.

Do you drill relief holes to let the sawdust fall out? If not that could help.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I do the same thing with that style hole saw. I got fed up using a vise and a big bar to get the mandrel free. The pin type is so much easier. I think the screw on style is the “economy” version for some mfg’s.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

woodman_412

Having said that I haven’t been super impressed with how the DeWalt set cuts, the teeth clog up pretty quick. I’ve borrowed a Lennox set before and really liked that.

No I haven’t but I should try that. The Lennox set that I used was by far my favorite, it cut super quick and no plugging with sawdust. I’ll try the relief holes next time I use my set and see if it helps, thanks for the tip.

Dan

danpattison.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

No I haven’t but I should try that. The Lennox set that I used was by far my favorite, it cut super quick and no plugging with sawdust. I’ll try the relief holes next time I use my set and see if it helps, thanks for the tip.

I have to agree about the Lenox saws. They are top notch. If a plug gets stuck in the saw it is easily leveraged out with a screwdriver…other brands claim that they are easy to clear, but only the Lenox actually makes good on that claim, IMO.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

That design is the only one that won’t stick . It’s the best way to change hole saw bites . I only buy Lenox .

Always willing to learn .

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have the Milwaukee set and the pins keep it from seizing up but evryonce and a while the pin slides back and it tightens up

Doobie

This is one area where you truly get what you pay for.

Does anybody have any Bosch hole saw sets?

Clev08
    Pro

That type just gets tighter when you use them…nature of the beast. The quick connect type a better about this, but the plug can still get stuck.

Yes, the fix to this problem is the new arbor with the two pins.
    I have the Milwaukee hole saws, they have a lifetime tooth warranty so if I break a tooth I get a new saw.
    @doobie I just got some recently but have not had the chance to use them yet. The multi constructions saws I got have a 1/2 inch quick change arbor with no threads.

Doobie

@doobie I just got some recently but have not had the chance to use them yet. The multi constructions saws I got have a 1/2 inch quick change arbor with no threads.

I was gonna redeem for some of their sets at one point, but I ended up seeing a good deal on a Milwaukee set a few months back.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’d love one of those carbide multi-construction sets, but they are super expensive and very limited in sizes.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’d love one of those carbide multi-construction sets, but they are super expensive and very limited in sizes.

Bosch does have a bi-metal set.

I have a set of Milwaukee hole saws with the pins in the collar, sold the olds ones at a lawn sale after getting them.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Clev08
    Pro

I found a couple sizes on eBay for pretty cheap, I think they were less than $20

You can try a small dab of anti sieze lube on the threads but in reality you just need to go buy the better quick release arbor. It was invented to solve this exact issue.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

I wouldn’t mind one either. Bosch does make good cutting tools of all types.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.594 seconds