dcsimg

Keeping hacks from using your tools…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I work alone so it’s not an issue for me, but I realized something beneficial that could come from the Milwaukee One Key and similar software. The tools could have a setting where they only work while connected to your phone via Bluetooth. With the addition of a private passcode, this could make it impossible for other guys to use the drill or circular saw you set down to use the restroom or grab a cup of coffee, and burn up your bit or ding your blade with a nail.

Bluetooth range is fairly limited, so you could pass a tool back and forth between you and your helper and have it work fine, even on opposite ends of the room, but if you walk away the tool could automatically lock itself. It would be easy to turn the feature off if you wanted to loan it to someone or didn’t want to have to carry your phone in your pocket.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Great idea, just don’t lose your phone lol

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

the tool could automatically lock itself. It would be easy to turn the feature off if you wanted to loan it to someone or didn’t want to have to carry your phone in your pocket.

Are you saying that this is an actual feature or that it’s just s possibility?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

the tool could automatically lock itself. It would be easy to turn the feature off if you wanted to loan it to someone or didn’t want to have to carry your phone in your pocket.

I don’t know if it’s out yet but I’ve heard of it and it’s coming or out already.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

That would have its limitations. Lose your phone, employers that force you to turn off your phone while on the job, forget your phone one day at home, dead batteries, etc…

What about voice recognition mic/chip? There’s a company I deal with fairly often, and rather than go thru an identity process everytime I call, I just say a specific sentence each time into an autamated attendant and it bypasses all that lengthy crap and when the rep comes on the phone, it’s straight to business. Be nice maybe if tools on jobsites had that capability.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Is this technology in the battery? or Tool?

If in the battery, what’s from stopping the perp from swapping in one of his own and using your tool?

@woodman_412
    Dan has a good tip on marking your tools with your name.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Milwaukee One Key

I saw where this has come out. It is probably the next step in tool evolution pairing the tool with your phone.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

this would be a very interesting feature for the one key if it is already in place. It would effectively stop people from abusing your equipment. Heck if bosch made something like that for their lboxxes, that would be ncie too, they can’t even get into your lboxx without your permission.

woodman_412

That’s an interesting technology. There would have to be some sort of over ride though in case something went wrong or like some of you guys have said you forget your phone. I certainly wouldn’t upgrade my tools just to get that feature but it would be a cool feature to have as you buy new ones.

Here is the tip on marking tools that Frank mentioned.

Dan

danpattison.com

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

It is in the tool. It is some pretty cool technology but it is also just something else to go wrong…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I keep a set of my own tools and a set that the crew uses. I want to keep one set that is not all bent up with cords cut and the like, so that is the only way I have figured to do it.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

This is a double edged sword yes it can keep unwanted people from using it bit also it could keep you from using it in certain circumstances. I haven’t ever had a problem with people ruining my power tools, I do a good job of that myself lol. But the tools people have screwed up were hand tools. Like a Cuban labor using my dovetail saw to cut drywall 😬

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I’m leery of it because it’s a faux innovation that does not make the actual tool better. A saw with this technology would not be a better saw. A drill would not be a better drill. It would not improve the performance, efficiency, quality, or durability of the tool. It would only be an extra feature to add cost to the tool. And as companies strive to keep their prices competitive, something else in the tool might be cheapened to make up the cost difference.

I want quality and performance, not features.

guess i am pretty lucky so far , never had to work on a big enough job to have mulitple people , basically was just me and my partner , plus if any extra bodies , it was always our friends / guys we use all the time , plumber or electrician , so far never had issues .

and here at the plant , if you are a sub coming into the building , they have to go through a security check of inventory coming in and out ,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It is in the tool. It is some pretty cool technology but it is also just something else to go wrong…

Yup, batteries get dropped and such.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I have to second Chad’s thoughts, battery based tools are disposable enough as it is adding another thing to fail and a dependency on a specific technology which will likely be replaced with something better (Bluetooth next generation or whatever) does not seem like the best idea to me.

Will

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I just use my naturally unpleasant attitude to keep the other tradesmen on my jobsite in line. Most people who know me, wouldn’t want to piss me off with any kind of regularity.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

From what I’ve seen the One Key technology is built into the tool, otherwise you could just buy the batteries and use them rather than the kit. I agree that it’s not worth it for a lot of guys, but if it becomes the future that all tools are paired with Bluetooth, it would make sense to add a security setting to it. It wouldn’t cost anything extra or require physical parts, it’s just a software setting.

There would obviously be an override, for those who aren’t familiar with Bluetooth, any device within range can “see” the item like a wifi network, and then you can choose to have a 4 digit security or pin code so that only authorized people can connect. If you lost your phone or it died, it would be easy to use another phone to connect to it and turn the security setting off. The password allows anyone who knows it to use it, it is not permanently paired to one phone like a chipped key.

Regardless of a security feature, I’d image all One Key or similar tools would need an override option. If you set your impact to 25% torque to run some delicate fasteners in and then your phone dies and you want it back to full power, it should be easy to do a “factory reset.” I’d just include a couple of small keys with the kit that you can insert into the tool somewhere and turn. You could keep one on your key ring and one in the tool case. There would only need to be a dozen or so different keys to make getting a replacement easy.

The idea isn’t to completely prevent theft, though it may discourage it if guys know they can’t use the tools, but they would probably still be pawned anyways. It would just be a nice way of keeping people from abusing your tools if you aren’t around for a few minutes.

Something similar could be developed for power tools, basically a power strip that has a lid with a combination lock.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

My son is the only person I trust with my tools , anyone else can forget it 🙂

My son is the only person I trust with my tools , anyone else can forget it 🙂

Better man than me, I don’t teust my middle son with my tools. But he is 13 and add, maybe in a couple of years

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.481 seconds