dcsimg

Keeping batteries on the tools will drain/damage batteries?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Over the last 25 years, I am sure I have had hundreds of cordless tool batteries. I have always kept them on the tools, and can only remember 2 or 3 that died prematurely. All of those were covered under warranties, so nothing lost. I also keep them on the charger at times and have noticed no ill effects.

Do you not maybe think that was the reason they pre-maturely died but you just did not discern it as such as the reason why?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I a long time ago would hear a buzzing nose while driving home??? It took me a long time to realize it was a tool in a boXX getting the trigger pressed and making that buzzing noise so now I always take off the batteries.

Every once in a while I have that happen where a drill moves in a tool bag and the trigger gets pressed and I hear the spinning. Usually a hit to the bag and it stops. At some Point we will probably have to have saftey triggers on our cordless drills also.

Most drills I have or have used before have a locked position between the forward and reverse settings, so unless that gets bumped, it usually does the trick for that problem, right?

that is correct, putting the reverser switch in the intermediate position would keep them from running if the trigger is bumped,

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yes almost all Bosch tools have the intermediate position that locks the trigger to save the batteries.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I never thought of that. I have had mine running in the case quite a few times . Good idea!

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Over the last 25 years, I am sure I have had hundreds of cordless tool batteries. I have always kept them on the tools, and can only remember 2 or 3 that died prematurely. All of those were covered under warranties, so nothing lost. I also keep them on the charger at times and have noticed no ill effects.

Do you not maybe think that was the reason they pre-maturely died but you just did not discern it as such as the reason why?

Not NiCads. This is recent lithium ion 18v Milwaukee batteries.

But then again, I pick up my drill and driver daily. I don’t know if you were to plug a charged battery into a drill and let that sit for 2 years, what would happen.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I haven’t had any issues with my batteries. Only the NiCad ones after a period of time didn’t hold a charge.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Not at all. Two or three out of a couple hundred is a pretty good test. I would imagine the odds of it happening to a typical battery in any conditions are probably that much. I know I have had at least that many or more that failed to
    snap on to a tool in the same time frame. Sometimes it damaged the tool, and sometimes the battery.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Not NiCads. This is recent lithium ion 18v Milwaukee batteries.

But then again, I pick up my drill and driver daily. I don’t know if you were to plug a charged battery into a drill and let that sit for 2 years, what would happen.

And I don’t know for sure either. It may also vary from one brand to another.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.540 seconds