dcsimg

Keeping batteries on the tools will drain/damage batteries?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I saw a few references on the web that claims one should not keep batteries engaged on the tools when not in use, or risk the batteries draining, discharging and damaged.

Thoughts? I keep the batteries on my drill and driver.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I keep the batteries on my drill and driver.

Same here. I do try to not leave them in chargers for extended periods though.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive never heard keeping the battery on the tool causing issue.. however having them on the charger can and will kill hte battery if its not plugged in.. my first drill was a 18v nicad it died do to this

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive never heard keeping the battery on the tool causing issue.. however having them on the charger can and will kill hte battery if its not plugged in.. my first drill was a 18v nicad it died do to this

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Mine never sit long enough to lose juice! If you are concerned about it, just pull them off of the tool.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

never noticed this myself, I just seem to put them away with dead batteries to often.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I a long time ago would hear a buzzing nose while driving home??? It took me a long time to realize it was a tool in a boXX getting the trigger pressed and making that buzzing noise so now I always take off the batteries.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I never think about taking the batteries off the tools after use. Never had an issue because of it either.

I agree, I don’t leave them on the charger once charging is complete.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I a long time ago would hear a buzzing nose while driving home??? It took me a long time to realize it was a tool in a boXX getting the trigger pressed and making that buzzing noise so now I always take off the batteries.

Every once in a while I have that happen where a drill moves in a tool bag and the trigger gets pressed and I hear the spinning. Usually a hit to the bag and it stops. At some Point we will probably have to have saftey triggers on our cordless drills also.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

At some Point we will probably have to have saftey triggers on our cordless drills also.

Oh, I sure hope not…

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I leave mine on the tool all the time and never had any issues…there’s nothing I know that draws from them while they’re just sitting there, so that doesn’t seem to make sense. But, I was just reading the manual for my blower a while ago and it had a notice saying it is best to store batteries not fully charged for optimal life and longevity.

Charlie

Instagram

Same here. Never had a problem with any battery left on a tool. Leaving them on the charger after being charged is not something I will do.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

At some Point we will probably have to have saftey triggers on our cordless drills also.

Oh, I sure hope not…

Same here. On circ saw or something similar, they are a necessary evil. But on a drill….that would just be a PITA to do deal with all the time.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

This is the first I’ve heard of this, I have noticed that one of my older Milwaukee drills drains unused on the drill slightly faster than by themselves.

Will

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Every once in a while I have that happen where a drill moves in a tool bag and the trigger gets pressed and I hear the spinning. Usually a hit to the bag and it stops. At some Point we will probably have to have saftey triggers on our cordless drills also.

Most drills I have or have used before have a locked position between the forward and reverse settings, so unless that gets bumped, it usually does the trick for that problem, right?

Charlie

Instagram

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Where I read about it was a batch of Milwaukee 18v driil/driver kits on clearance sale and almost all of the batteries wouldn’t charge out of the box.

They came in hard cases with the batteries engaged in the drill & driver. Speculation is having the batteries engaged to the tool, unused for close to a year, could cause the premature death of the batteries. There were “experts” that said Milwaukee should not have made the hard cases to fit the tools with batteries attached because people would store it that way.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Where I read about it was a batch of Milwaukee 18v driil/driver kits on clearance sale and almost all of the batteries wouldn’t charge out of the box.

They came in hard cases with the batteries engaged in the drill & driver. Speculation is having the batteries engaged to the tool, unused for close to a year, could cause the premature death of the batteries. There were “experts” that said Milwaukee should not have made the hard cases to fit the tools with batteries attached because people would store it that way.

Was that over 10-12 years ago that was happening and related to the older NiCads? If so, I know more to that story.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Same here. Never had a problem with any battery left on a tool. Leaving them on the charger after being charged is not something I will do.

Never a problem here either. I keep my Bosch Tools stored with batteries and never had a problem.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Most drills I have or have used before have a locked position between the forward and reverse settings, so unless that gets bumped, it usually does the trick for that problem, right?

No,, mine don’t and it’s best to take out the batteries because tools coming on while driving isn’t good.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Over the last 25 years, I am sure I have had hundreds of cordless tool batteries. I have always kept them on the tools, and can only remember 2 or 3 that died prematurely. All of those were covered under warranties, so nothing lost. I also keep them on the charger at times and have noticed no ill effects. I have had more issues with batteries losing contact, or getting cracks from too many on/offs of the tools. I usually just chalk it up to wear and tear, as it generally takes years to notice. Pulling them off the tool every night would certainly speed that process up though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.031 seconds