dcsimg

Keen work boots review

This topic contains 538 replies, has 60 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 539 total)
  • Author

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

The Best Construction Work Boots from KEEN

Keen Boots LogoI am writing this KEEN work boots review as I recently bought a pair and am very happy with them.  I’m one of those guys that has a problematic foot to fit for boots, sneakers and shoes. When I need new footwear I have a really hard time finding something that not only fits but is comfortable and the arch is in the right spot. The reason being is that I have a very wide foot that is almost square at my toes. Added to that, my right foot has a collapsed arch which causes my knee to buckle inward if I don’t have proper support.

I had heard about the New line of Keen work boots not only online from a couple of different professional construction trade forums, but also from my neighbor who is the regional rep for Keen, Saucony and Rockwell. I have seen a KEEN work boots review or two in the states that were basically saying that KEEN work boots are a “BEST BOOT – MUST HAVE”.  So of course I couldn’t wait to see them. Unfortunately I had to wait until May to see them in person in Canada.  They were available in the U.S last year however the Canadian Federation of Construction Safety Associations found a couple issues with KEEN work boots so they had to go back for a minor redesign.  Those issues are now fixed.

KEEN work boots review of styles

These are the KEEN Pittsburgh/Hamilton work boots that I am writing my KEEN work boots review on.So a month ago I got the notification from Murphygear.com that they now had 3 different styles of Keen boots in stock.  The Oshawa low, Oshawa mid and the Hamilton.  I picked up the Hamilton.  In the US its known as the Pittsburgh.

Upon first glance these boots really jump out at you. In my opinion, they are very stylish.  They are a hiker style which is becoming more common. I prefer this style of boot as they are much easier to move around in compared to traditional boots which tend to be more clunky especially when up on a roof.  When I first put them on they were extremely comfortable and had a ton of support in the ankle. This is something most hiker style safety boots don’t have.  There’s very little chance of rolling your ankle in these but they are still flexible enough to be able to move around in odd positions.  I was going to hold off on buying them until I got paid as they have a price tag of $240 which is quite a bit higher for a hiker style.   After seeing them, I couldn’t say no.   I’ve had been waiting 8 months for them and I wasn’t going to wait any longer.

My KEEN work boots review of their on the job performance

After one month of wearing these boots on the jobsite, I’m more than impressed.   No aching feet at the end of the day even with three 12 hour days working on concrete floors.   There are no signs of wear or any seams coming apart, and they haven’t stretched out which causes a reduction in support.  These are things that have happened to me 3 times in under a year with different boots which have had to be returned in under 3 months of owning with a different brand.

All in all I love these boots, easily the best I’ve owned in 10 years in the construction industry.  Not only that Murphy Gear where I bought them has a 1 year warranty on them that they honor in store with a full replacement.  On top of that, Keen has their own 90 day comfort guarantee which allows for a replacement or money back if you find any comfort issues with the boot.  After this KEEN work boots review I will be buying more Keen boots in the future.  I would buy their standard hikers for casual wear if I could get them locally . Just one small note for those in Canada the full line of keen boots aren’t available yet compared to in the U.S. as of right now I believe only 5 styles are available opposed to in the states which has about 20 styles/variations.

Here is the link to the Canadian site: https://pro.keenfootwear.com/ca/en/pro/
    Here is the link for the US site: https://pro.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pro/

I want to thank murphygear.com for the great service they provided.   As of right now they are the only retailer in Nova Scotia that is selling Keen industrial footwear that I know of, and they are the only dealer of Blaklader workwear.

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is a great review Jeff ! I really like their designs . I always have a hard time finding shoes that are comfortable and durable . I,m glad they sell them in Canada too .Now I want a pair 🙂

redwood
    Pro

Yes, great review Jeff.

I also have probmatic feet and hate shoes. I’ll wear sandles to work, if I can, for certain jobs.

I wonder if they need beta testers?

What’s the deal with the Canadian Safety Assoc.? Do they have to approve shoes for work? I don’t think that we have anything like that in the states, unless maybe it is tied to the unions.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cranbrook2
    Pro

In Canada it has to be CSA approved 🙁

redwood
    Pro

Does your underwear have to be CSA approved as well? Where do they stop?

Does have something to do with your health care system? Can you bring a pair of shoes in from the states that are not approved? Are you arrested for wearing non approved footware?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

from what i understand, the issue the csa people found had to do with a small void in teh midsole where the steel plate is.. the plate was shifting around.

as for beta testors.. i think they might be past that point where they have been on the market in the usa for about 8 or 9 months.

last year i bought a pair of CAT hiker saftey boots that lasted a mere 3 weeks then the stiching at the sides of both feet were comiong apart,, then i had a pair of Dakota Mammoths which are a $200 boot, the heal was coming apart on those.. the boots i had replaced for hte mammoths stretched out in no time so they have little support for working in. i still have them but im keeping them for casual wear as their a hiker style.. mainly for wet days

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I live in my Keen tenis shoes and sandlas, I will haye to give the boots a tru, they sound great.

cranbrook2
    Pro

Mark if they are not up to code they just give you a stiff fine for thousands of dollars and they shut the job down .They can be pretty anal here 🙂

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I also have a wide foot and almost flat arches so I know what it’s like to find the perfect boot. Jeff, glad to here these Keens fit the bill for ya. I also found boots that were really comfortable but didn’t hold up for long

woodman_412

Great review Jeff! I was thinking about getting the low cut Keens for shop work but it was going to be more of a hassle to get them since I wasn’t going to be in Halifax again for awhile. I ended up going with a pair of Dakota’s for now and they’ve been working well.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Jeff
    how would you compare these to some of the bigger boot makers? I wear Red Wings and Wolverine. Are they waterproof? The last few weeks, my feet always get wet in the morning and then that makes for a long day, working in wet feet.

I am more and more impressed with everything that I hear about keen – from work boots to their outdoorsy hiker stuff… Still deciding between buying a pair of sandals vs. work boots from them… Odd debate, I know, haha, but I only have so much bday cash

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

brian, they are waterproof, ive never had a pair of redwings, i had a pair of wolverines a while back but i wasnt that impressed.. so far these are prob my favorite boots. my 2nd favorite is a pair of hikers made by cofra that are no longer sold locally but still available

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Wolverines have been the most comfortable I have worn and their customer service is unmatched, however they do not hold up that well, they have sent me 3 replacement pairs free of charge.

I am really intrigued by the idea of the KEEN Utility Men’s Tacoma 6″ Steel Toe Work Boot – anybody ever have a pair of these?

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

tim uhler did a reviw of them over at http://www.toolsofthetrade.com

Maybe it was in the magazine but I can’t seem to find it online Jeff…

John S

kzcarp
    Pro

Try this one http://Toolsofthetrade.net I think that’s the correct address for the magazine, here’s the link for the boots
    http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/work-wear-and-gear/keen-work-boots.aspx
    kevin

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

They sound great I have other Keens I wear regularly and really like them. Worth a look next time I am in need of a pair of boots.

I found that Kevin but it didn’t review quite the same model keen’s I was interested in… Oh well – good to know they think highly of keens in general 🙂

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 539 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.868 seconds