dcsimg

JS260 shaft orientation

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I hate to say it, but I think I the issue is that the js260 is China built and its a low end model. If you upgrade to the js572 for example, it will track much better.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@cmeyer25

You shouldn’t be encountering that much deflection, but have you tried just chasing the line instead of using a straightedge?

If you were to twist the blade in the holder, do you audibly and visibly see it shift side to side (And hit whatever limit there is)?

Also what blade did you use and which blades do you have, listing the numbers out would be helpful.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I hate to say it, but I think I the issue is that the js260 is China built and its a low end model. If you upgrade to the js572 for example, it will track much better.

Man I have lots of chinese tools that work good. I have a chinese jiggy too and it works well.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That seems to be consensus – to be fair, it was one of my first ever Bosch purchases so I didn’t drop the big bucks on it.

@cmeyer25

You shouldn’t be encountering that much deflection, but have you tried just chasing the line instead of using a straightedge?

If you were to twist the blade in the holder, do you audibly and visibly see it shift side to side (And hit whatever limit there is)?

Also what blade did you use and which blades do you have, listing the numbers out would be helpful.

I do chase the line, but even then, it just seems determined to wander. I’ll post a picture of the blades I use in the morning. Maybe that has something to do with it, but I wouldn’t think so…

Charlie

Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Man I have lots of chinese tools that work good. I have a chinese jiggy too and it works well.

Valid point. My concern was that the rest of the Bosch lineup is build in Europe (Switzerland) and this one is Chinese. That screams “keep the cost down” to me and could have something to do with the performance…or not. Perhaps the specific saw in question is just a dud.

On the other hand, on the interest of keeping manufacturing costs down, the blade guide mechanism is likely cheaper than the top of the line models as well. This would explain why it doesn’t track perfectly.

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Valid point. My concern was that the rest of the Bosch lineup is build in Europe (Switzerland) and this one is Chinese. That screams “keep the cost down” to me and could have something to do with the performance…or not. Perhaps the specific saw in question is just a dud.

On the other hand, on the interest of keeping manufacturing costs down, the blade guide mechanism is likely cheaper than the top of the line models as well. This would explain why it doesn’t track perfectly.

I understand but do you understand how sensitive some are on here about the chineses thing??? Yea I’ve have been pegged as a racist because of a typo and the term ” I wouldn’t work for won tons” Event tho I speak a Asian langue in my house so we must be careful. I now say the far east.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I don’t think that is the issue, it is either operator error or a defect in the saw. No matter where the saw is built it is built to Bosch specs and they have Bosch reps on site to ensure quality control.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

That seems to be consensus – to be fair, it was one of my first ever Bosch purchases so I didn’t drop the big bucks on it.

@cmeyer25

I do chase the line, but even then, it just seems determined to wander. I’ll post a picture of the blades I use in the morning. Maybe that has something to do with it, but I wouldn’t think so…

Try a clean cut blade, i.e. something with less or no set in the teeth.

Oh and if you can, take a photo of how much it wanders.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@cmeyer25

Try a clean cut blade, i.e. something with less or no set in the teeth.

Oh and if you can, take a photo of how much it wanders.

I think I found the problem 🙂 Thanks to all the conversation on here I’ve been really paying attention to all the details as I cut. This morning I tried cutting against a straight edge again, and it definitely deflects, but in only 1/2 ply, it’s not hugely noticeable, I think my problem has been trying to follow a line using a straight edge and that small amount of deviation was driving me crazy, so of course correct and throw things off more instead of just rising out the small deviation. I think you all are right, and I’m just expecting too much out of my tool 🙂

I attached my test run and the different blades I have on hand.

Charlie

Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Well it looks on par with what a jigsaw straight cut. Mind you I don’t have one of those super expensive ones either so my expectation isn’t really high.

@cmeyer25

That cut doesn’t look that bad at all. If you want to try a cutting strategy, use one side of the blade and cut right up against the line instead of chasing it down the center.

The T234X you have is a good blade. I’ve posted a lot of stuff on another forum about the various Bosch blades (In my Mafell P1cc) and I put it on a top favorites list.

Another recommendation is the T308BFP, the blade is very rigid compared to the T234X.
    https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/t-shank-jig-saw-blades-for-wood-t308bfp-43106-p/

There’s also one non Bosch jigsaw blade I recommend: The Spyder Skeleton jigsaw blade. It also seems to be fairly rigid as a blade. it also has very little set so it won’t scroll very easily which may aid in your case.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@cmeyer25

That cut doesn’t look that bad at all. If you want to try a cutting strategy, use one side of the blade and cut right up against the line instead of chasing it down the center.

The T234X you have is a good blade. I’ve posted a lot of stuff on another forum about the various Bosch blades (In my Mafell P1cc) and I put it on a top favorites list.

Another recommendation is the T308BFP, the blade is very rigid compared to the T234X.
    https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/t-shank-jig-saw-blades-for-wood-t308bfp-43106-p/

There’s also one non Bosch jigsaw blade I recommend: The Spyder Skeleton jigsaw blade. It also seems to be fairly rigid as a blade. it also has very little set so it won’t scroll very easily which may aid in your case.

Thanks! That’s some good information – I’ll keep your recommendation in mind the next time I need to purchase blades!

Charlie

Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve been really paying attention to all the details as I cut. This morning I tried cutting against a straight edge again, and it definitely deflects, but in only 1/2 ply, it’s not hugely noticeable, I think my problem has been trying to follow a line using a straight edge and that small amount of deviation was driving me crazy, so of course correct and throw things off more instead of just rising out the small deviation. I think you all are right, and I’m just expecting too much out of my tool

Which blade made this cut @Cmeyer25? It looks a bit rough, but that could just be attributed to the plywood itself. Are you Pushing the saw through the wood or letting it cut? What orbital setting are you using? I find that it is much easier to get a “perfect” cut with a lower orbital action and little to zero forward pressure.

Jon P.
    Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve been really paying attention to all the details as I cut. This morning I tried cutting against a straight edge again, and it definitely deflects, but in only 1/2 ply, it’s not hugely noticeable, I think my problem has been trying to follow a line using a straight edge and that small amount of deviation was driving me crazy, so of course correct and throw things off more instead of just rising out the small deviation. I think you all are right, and I’m just expecting too much out of my tool

Which blade made this cut @cmeyer25? It looks a bit rough, but that could just be attributed to the plywood itself. Are you Pushing the saw through the wood or letting it cut? What orbital setting are you using? I find that it is much easier to get a “perfect” cut with a lower orbital action and little to zero forward pressure.

It was the T234X – what I hoped was one of, if not the, stiffest blade I have. It was on no orbit, and I held steady, light pressure throughout the cut, mostly directed toward the straight edge to maintain contact as well as I could. It’s not exactly a clean cut blade, but also not purely for ripping through material either.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The plywood is full of glues and causes a lot of friction and heat. I would wax the blade to reduce the friction and heat.
    I use paraffin wax I buy in the hardware store.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think you all are right, and I’m just expecting too much out of my tool 🙂

You may be happier with a cordless circular saw when you need a long straight cut. The jiggy is just not made for that.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

The plywood is full of glues and causes a lot of friction and heat. I would wax the blade to reduce the friction and heat.

That’s an interesting idea, I haven’t ever tried that – but the wax helps to keep the blade aligned? I love learning new tricks, thanks!

I think you all are right, and I’m just expecting too much out of my tool 🙂

You may be happier with a cordless circular saw when you need a long straight cut. The jiggy is just not made for that.

I would definitely love a cordless circular saw. I gotta get on Bosch’s 18V platform…I’ve only got a few cordless DeWalt drills, otherwise everything I own is corded. If I ever save up the points or cash, that’ll be the direction I head for sure!

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s an interesting idea, I haven’t ever tried that – but the wax helps to keep the blade aligned? I love learning new tricks, thanks!

The wax helps the blade work with less friction therefor keeping the heat down. The heat is what makes any kind of blade deflect.

Dirty

I have waxed my hand tools, I guess I should apply the same to some of my power tool blades as well, thanks!

Will

@cmeyer25

That’s a pretty rough cut with the T234X, I’ve had good luck with decently clean cuts with it but I consider it one of the more flexible Bosch blades I have. The cut is square to the surface right?

Curious question: What setting are you running your jigsaw at? I’ve had good luck using my Mafell with various blades at reduced speeds instead of running it at max. You might have better luck if you use the speed limiter on the JS260 something between 3 to 4 and reducing your feed rate to keep the chipload the same.

Edit: This might be better advice
    If you have some scrap of similar material, make some cuts about 1-3 inches deep and try doing this:
    Put the other T234X blade in that you haven’t used yet

Orbit set to 0
    Speed 3
    Stop the cut
    New cut at speed 4

Orbit set to 1
    Speed 3
    Stop the cut
    New cut at Speed 4

Orbit set to 2
    Speed 3
    Stop the cut
    New cut at Speed 4

If you do this you might find the “sweet spot” of speeds and feeds for your JS260 with the T234X. Just keep that down in your notes for that ply. I found that changing species of softwood will change the speeds and feeds for specific Bosch blades when I am using them in my Mafell to get extremely clean cuts.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.415 seconds