dcsimg

Journeyman's New Projects …

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 203 total)
  • Author

This was how I spent my day yesterday, preparation for setting a home on the foundations. The home owners had lost their house to a fire some months earlier. They were on site with coffee for all the workers and sat well out the way watching their new home being lifted in to place. After the house was set we quickly put a temporary set of steps up to the front door so as the family of four (one on the way soon too) could properly visit their new home.

Slings on …

Lifting the first section …

Back section set down …

Front lifted …

Gentle maneuvering …

Almost there …

Both set down and stitching together under way …

Now we have approx 3 weeks work ahead to finish the house off and get the family in properly before the new baby arrives.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s quite a project. I have been impressed with the quality of the factory homes I have seen.
    They are much more common in northern Ontario than here in the south.

After seeing all the crane mishaps on the PSA thread, I’m glad the lift went well for you. lol

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ll bet that was fun! There a quite a few remotely built homes around here. Some even less assembled that what you are showing above. How long did this process take?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

That’s a nice project, a couple of contractor’s here started building like that , its amazing , one day you see a foundation , by the end of the next day , presto a home is up.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This was how I spent my day yesterday

Mervyn now that is a neat project. Wow only 3 weeks and it will be done. Nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Those are great pictures. Almost an instant house. There is more work to complete it I see. How much longer does it take to finish it up?

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Looks like it came together well. Crane days can be stressful and fun at the same time.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Very nice Merv. What’s the size of the prefab home?

There are some companies I see in my area that say they guarantee three weeks to put up a second story. Then it’s just a matter of finishing the interior.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I’ll bet that was fun! There a quite a few remotely built homes around here. Some even less assembled that what you are showing above. How long did this process take?

The house arrived approx 8 am along with the crane and a full crew of approx 8-10 men if you include the supervisors. My buddy and I were there only to oversee the house being dropped and to meet with our supervisor from the house builder (Quality Homes). It’s Kevin and I’s task now to bring the house to completion to the point where it meets with the final occupancy permits. Electrical and plumbing are done by other contractors.

The house was lifted in to place by 12 noon then the crew set about tying it down to the foundation and closing off the gable ends. All work was completed by 2 pm and the crews were gone by 2.30. To them this was a small lift and an easy one at that.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

Very nice Merv. What’s the size of the prefab home?

There are some companies I see in my area that say they guarantee three weeks to put up a second story. Then it’s just a matter of finishing the interior.

It’s a modest 3 bedroom home with a living room, kitchen/dining area.

There is more work to be done outside than inside … a porch/deck with 6 x 6 posts all dressed in white plastic then white handrails/spindles. Siding to be done on gable ends and repairs to sidings damaged from the journey etc.

I will post more photos of the project as it progresses.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

Clev08
    Pro

I have some relatives who had a house put together like this, the timeline from start to finish was very short, and the house has held up really well.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Here is an example of one of the better “factory built” home manufacturers. This one in northwestern Quebec.

http://champouxhomes.com/

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

There are a few manufacturers of homes like that. My parents had one, a Quebco, and said it was the easiest house they ever heated. They had it on the Manitoulin Island, it came across the bridge with one section only 6″ narrower than the bridge structure. Once on site one of the sections had to be turned around, so they jacked it up with only 3 big jacks, two on one side at either end, and one in the middle on the other side. The truck pulled out from under it, went around the block, and backed under it from the other side. Pretty rigid structure I would say. I remember finishing the basement with my dad the day the shuttle Challenger blew up.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Sad to hear they lost their previous house to a fire, looks like you will have them back in a home in short order. Well done!

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Wow, that is fast, having now participated in a build would you ever recommend it?

Will

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nicely done. We dont have many prefab homes over here.

Wow, that is fast, having now participated in a build would you ever recommend it?

Sure I would … it’s a fast and convenient way to build a house in workable segments helping to cut costs of modern day building while meeting with local by-laws and building permits. It may not suit everyone’s needs or wants however this way of building has a place.

Because of height restrictions on while on the delivery route the roof on each segment came hinged half way up … all ready pre-shingled but with a separating membrane at the hinged section to prevent the shingles from sticking. The complete roof was then wrapped in plastic to prevent blow off damage on the road.

You can see the roof section laying flat here and the white wrap still in place before the lift begins.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Because of height restrictions on while on the delivery route the roof on each segment came hinged half way up … all ready pre-shingled but with a separating membrane at the hinged section to prevent the shingles from sticking. The complete roof was then wrapped in plastic to prevent blow off damage on the road.

Looks like the Co. has thought this through and probably learnt from past experience on how to deliver these types of homes.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m thinking about the advantages of building a home in a controlled environment in a factory; constant temperature, no rain, no wind. Machinery and jigs to assemble components precisely.

What’s not to like about that compared to a construction jobsite.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

nice! i haven’t seen many prefab homes in the south here. I wonder if it is starting to be more common.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 203 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.499 seconds