dcsimg

Jointer Rebuild/Tune-up

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

The base is one of the better features of the jointer IMO. Excellent working height; it places the jointer below the table of the TS next to it. The built in dust chute makes DC easy and the footprint makes the jointer very stable.

You’re welcome anytime, I think there is enough sausage now to last til maybe July LOL

@smallerstick,
    I do have a question and that is “What paint are you using?” It looks very close to the original Rockwell/Beaver. I plane to paint both my bandsaw and jointer one day.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The base is one of the better features of the jointer IMO. Excellent working height; it places the jointer below the table of the TS next to it. The built in dust chute makes DC easy and the footprint makes the jointer very stable.

You’re welcome anytime, I think there is enough sausage now to last til maybe July LOL

@smallerstick,
    I do have a question and that is “What paint are you using?” It looks very close to the original Rockwell/Beaver. I plane to paint both my bandsaw and jointer one day.

Tremclad gloss grey. Easy to get both in a rattle can and conventional. I usually spray the cabinet and brush the castings.

You’re right, it is very close to what would have been the original colour.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@smallerstick,

Tremclad gloss grey. Easy to get both in a rattle can and conventional. I usually spray the cabinet and brush the castings.

ThanX, I will have to pick up a few cans.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@smallerstick,

This colour should work fine when I redo my 2300 Beaver Bandsaw.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Tremclad gloss grey

Never heard of it, where did you buy it?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Tremclad gloss grey

Never heard of it, where did you buy it?

Tremclad is a primer and paint combined intended for rusty surfaces. Manufactured by Rustoleum in the US.

It’s widely available in Canada; CTC, the big box stores, Home Hardware.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Got the cutterhead back yesterday with new bearings. Remounted the cutterhead and set a new set of blades. Replaced the guard and the fence and gave it a test drive. Couldn’t be happier! Tables are co-planar with no shimming required and it cuts straight and true.

Attachments:

Got the cutterhead back yesterday with new bearings. Remounted the cutterhead and set a new set of blades. Replaced the guard and the fence and gave it a test drive. Couldn’t be happier! Tables are co-planar with no shimming required and it cuts straight and true.

Awesome! The machine looks great. I bet it runs a lot smoother with the new bearings too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Reassembled the jointer and mounted it on the cabinet. I will replace the bearings tomorrow and put the cutterhead back in place, replace the belt and remount the fence.

You’re in the home stretch now. Looks good and should run good for another few decades.
    ooooh… just saw the finished Jointer. Yup, that does look good !!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice job on the jointer. Should run as good or better than new now.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Looks like a new jointer! Probably better than any new one you would buy these days. Great job !
    Maybe some pin striping ? lol

Doobie

Nice job Peter. You gonna put it on a mobile base?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks all, it was a job long overdue. For a 50 year old machine it does good work.

I like the idea of pinstripes lol and no, I won’t be using a mobile base. The floor in my shop just doesn’t do well with casters. I haven’t found mobile bases to be very solid either. Especially with heavy machines, I like to find a place for them that suits my work flow and leave them there. With the jointer set up next to the TS, I have 8′ of infeed and outfeed available and no interference with work on the TS.

You did one fantastic job there Peter so let me throw in my congrats too. I would bet you are feeling quite proud of yourself and rightly so.

Thanks all, it was a job long overdue. For a 50 year old machine it does good work.

I like the idea of pinstripes lol and no, I won’t be using a mobile base. The floor in my shop just doesn’t do well with casters. I haven’t found mobile bases to be very solid either. Especially with heavy machines, I like to find a place for them that suits my work flow and leave them there. With the jointer set up next to the TS, I have 8′ of infeed and outfeed available and no interference with work on the TS.

Its a good thing when old iron gets put back to work. Congrats

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, Lon and Eric. For me it’s also a matter of affordability. A new 6″ jointer would go probably $800 or so, more with the helical head. This one even with new knives and the rebuild is still under $300 invested.

I don’t make a living with tools like this but I do enjoy using them especially when they are running the way they should.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

It really is nice to get parts to rebuild these older machines. I know usually bearings are not that hard to get. It nice see this older iron still running. Not like things we buy today we have throw away when it breaks. Good job Peter!

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It really is nice to get parts to rebuild these older machines. I know usually bearings are not that hard to get. It nice see this older iron still running. Not like things we buy today we have throw away when it breaks. Good job Peter!

The shop had no problem getting bearings for it but one thing surprised me. Both bearings are the same quality, one is maybe 1/2″ larger OD than the other. The smaller one was $10 and the larger was $40. Go figure.

Did some work with it yesterday; what a difference. Much smoother running than before and it doesn’t protest when I run it for more than half an hour lol

Good for another 50 years.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

The shop had no problem getting bearings for it but one thing surprised me. Both bearings are the same quality, one is maybe 1/2″ larger OD than the other. The smaller one was $10 and the larger was $40. Go figure.

Did some work with it yesterday; what a difference. Much smoother running than before and it doesn’t protest when I run it for more than half an hour lol

Good for another 50 years.

I wondering if the bigger bearing isn’t a common bearing is why the price was higher. I know bought parts before and was that if the part is a common part isn’t usually that expensive. Nice here it running smooth for you and you are happy with rebuild. Makes it all worth while.

Greg

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.385 seconds