dcsimg

Jointer Rebuild/Tune-up

This topic contains 38 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Well, today I got sick of fiddling with my jointer trying to get it to give me a straight, flat surface. There seemed to be a sweet spot where it would work properly but I didn’t have much control over depth of cut. After running it for a while the bearings begin to let me know they are not happy, too.

Anyway, this is what it looks like now. The cutterhead came out very easily. The infeed and outfeed tables gave me a bit of grief but finally came apart.

I plan to repaint the whole thing before reassembly. The ways and the gibs were crusted with old grease and gunk. I’m part way through a thorough scraping and wire brushing to clean them up before paint. That’s probably the cause of the table misalignment that has plagued me.

The jointer is a Delta/Rockwell model 37-220 made in Guelph, Ontario likely during the 70’s. The motor has been upgraded to a Doerr 3/4 HP farm duty unit.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

Well, today I got sick of fiddling with my jointer trying to get it to give me a straight, flat surface. There seemed to be a sweet spot where it would work properly but I didn’t have much control over depth of cut. After running it for a while the bearings begin to let me know they are not happy, too.

Anyway, this is what it looks like now. The cutterhead came out very easily. The infeed and outfeed tables gave me a bit of grief but finally came apart.

I plan to repaint the whole thing before reassembly. The ways and the gibs were crusted with old grease and gunk. I’m part way through a thorough scraping and wire brushing to clean them up before paint. That’s probably the cause of the table misalignment that has plagued me.

The jointer is a Delta/Rockwell model 37-220 made in Guelph, Ontario likely during the 70’s. The motor has been upgraded to a Doerr 3/4 HP farm duty unit.

A 6″ by the looks, no? I love messing about with stuff and making them run nice. Going to change the bearings while it is apart?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

A 6″ by the looks, no? I love messing about with stuff and making them run nice. Going to change the bearings while it is apart?

Oh, yes, they have been telling me they aren’t happy.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

The cleanup work should make a huge difference with that unit. It probably has years of build-up. Good luck with the rebuild.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

It should look and run like new when you’re done.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

It looks like you have something to keep you busy for awhile. This will make it like a new machine when you done.
    I have 4 inch Craftmaster jointer without motor. I have planning getting set up to use. But I have also thought about selling as I have good 6 inch.

Greg

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I love seeing rebuilds. Post lots of pictures if you think of it – I’d love to see the insides of that machine!

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very nice unit to rebuild. Looks like it is good and sturdy and when done will be a focal point in the shop. Thank you for sharing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

peter this could’ve been your video break out, would’ve been cool to see video or perhaps a time lapse video.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

peter this could’ve been your video break out, would’ve been cool to see video or perhaps a time lapse video.

LOL the way I work, I don’t think that would be a good idea.

Right now, there are parts spread all over the shop waiting for paint to dry. Did I say I hate waiting for paint to dry!

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Right now, there are parts spread all over the shop waiting for paint to dry. Did I say I hate waiting for paint to dry!

You never know Peter until you try. Maybe @jimdaddyo could give some pointers.

Greg

You never know Peter until you try. Maybe @jimdaddyo could give some pointers.

I would…knowing Peter he has it well in hand though. Pretty clever guy he is.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Well, paint is finally dry. i was frustrated it took so long so I went and made 20 lb of sausages to keep busy. Got a good start on the BBQ season anyway.

Reassembled the jointer and mounted it on the cabinet. I will replace the bearings tomorrow and put the cutterhead back in place, replace the belt and remount the fence.

Checking the infeed and outfeed tables and adjusting the gibs, it appears that they are back in proper alignment so all should be ready for the final assembly and test.

Attachments:

Well, paint is finally dry. i was frustrated it took so long so I went and made 20 lb of sausages to keep busy. Got a good start on the BBQ season anyway.

Reassembled the jointer and mounted it on the cabinet. I will replace the bearings tomorrow and put the cutterhead back in place, replace the belt and remount the fence.

Checking the infeed and outfeed tables and adjusting the gibs, it appears that they are back in proper alignment so all should be ready for the final assembly and test.

I have a surface gauge that is great for setting the knives if you are in need.

Looks great by the way.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Looks pretty good. Homemade sausages sound good.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I have a surface gauge that is great for setting the knives if you are in need.

Looks great by the way.

Thanks, Jim, I may take you up on that offer. The plan so far is to set the knives in the cutterhead before installing it in the machine. I have a pair of magnetic jigs with vernier gauges that I will use to do an initial set. Steve over on the CWW forum gave me some guidelines to do that (the Rockwell manual says to send the cutterhead to a repair depot to have knives changed).

Once the knives are in and the cutterhead is in place, I’ll see how parallel the knives are with the tables. I don’t know yet, I may need to do some tweaking and your surface gauge would be just the ticket. I recall it from your jointer setup video.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well, paint is finally dry.Reassembled the jointer and mounted it on the cabinet.

Wow that looks really nice. Very nice machine. Nice match on the paint too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Looks pretty good. Homemade sausages sound good.

Thanks, Greg, yep can’t beat the flavour of homemade!

Well, paint is finally dry.Reassembled the jointer and mounted it on the cabinet.

Wow that looks really nice. Very nice machine. Nice match on the paint too.

Thanks, Bill. The paint match was easy; Tremco gloss grey in a rattle can for the cabinet and for the cast parts I just brush on the same product from a can.

Cutterhead goes for bearings today. I will have a chance to clean up the fence as well. Almost done!

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Looks great @smallerstick. The base is the same as the one that my Rockwell Bandsaw is mounted on.

Now you gone and made me hungry, when is dinner? should I start driving now? 😀

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Looks great @smallerstick. The base is the same as the one that my Rockwell Bandsaw is mounted on.

Now you gone and made me hungry, when is dinner? should I start driving now? 😀

The base is one of the better features of the jointer IMO. Excellent working height; it places the jointer below the table of the TS next to it. The built in dust chute makes DC easy and the footprint makes the jointer very stable.

You’re welcome anytime, I think there is enough sausage now to last til maybe July LOL

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.789 seconds