dcsimg

Jobsite Etiquette For Beginners

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I feel for a lot of the guys on this forum. You’re all regularly facing all sorts of challenges having to go from place to place with the tools you have to make a living. That can’t be easy.

Then on top of it they don’t want to pay you enough to make a living or operate a truck to carry all the tools you need.

50 bucks usd an hour is pretty good. I wished I made 50 bucks an hour.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I feel for a lot of the guys on this forum. You’re all regularly facing all sorts of challenges having to go from place to place with the tools you have to make a living. That can’t be easy.

Then on top of it they don’t want to pay you enough to make a living or operate a truck to carry all the tools you need.

How many times have you heard…”he’s a contractor, he must have money”, or “contractors rip people off”…etc? I spend so much money JUST doing the job, that there usually isn’t a ton left over. I realize that’s my pricing and scheduling, and it’s getting better, but I don’t agree with many people’s idea of a contractor.

great list. we have a 20 year old punk on our crew who needs this list tattooed on his face. can’t tell him nothin’. patiently awaiting the day he gets laid off.

Why hasn’t the boss dealt with this? I’ve experienced the problem first hand and it’s really bad for the morale of the team. One bad apple really messes with the rest.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

it is a good list. One would think that people would have enough common sense that they wouldn’t have to be told the simple rules.
    My biggest pet peeve is people on cell phones all the time. Makes me crazy. Unless it is a emergency or business leave the phone in the truck at work.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Where do you see anything about 50 bucks an hour??

Where do you see anything about 50 bucks an hour??

Thought you got a job in the high 40s a few weeks ago

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Excellent list and additional suggestions. Some people will get it, and some just won’t. For some reason there seems to be a lot of young people who think work is all about getting paid, not about actually doing anything.

Excellent list and additional suggestions. Some people will get it, and some just won’t. For some reason there seems to be a lot of young people who think work is all about getting paid, not about actually doing anything.

As a “not-young-anymore” guy, I work to get paid. That is all. I love what I do, so it is pleasant. I work hard to get paid again tomorrow

How many times have you heard…”he’s a contractor, he must have money”, or “contractors rip people off”…etc? I spend so much money JUST doing the job, that there usually isn’t a ton left over. I realize that’s my pricing and scheduling, and it’s getting better, but I don’t agree with many people’s idea of a contractor.

great list. we have a 20 year old punk on our crew who needs this list tattooed on his face. can’t tell him nothin’. patiently awaiting the day he gets laid off.

Why hasn’t the boss dealt with this? I’ve experienced the problem first hand and it’s really bad for the morale of the team. One bad apple really messes with the rest.

it’s a tough situation, really. when he was sent from the hall he was 18 and it was his very first job. coupled with the fact that the hospital was slow at the time and there wasn’t a ton of real work going on he floated by and got a pass for his age. now that we’re busy and there’s other guys as cheap or cheaper than he is(like me) who are better carpenters/employees/co-workers than he is its glaring and everyone on the crew has had enough of his shit. but we’re super super busy and he knows his way around the million square foot hospital, knows where all the material is, knows how to do everything we do(though not well) that bringing in someone new and getting them up to speed would be more of a hassle than keeping him on til we slow down enough to lay him off.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

My first full time job out of high school, was learning to be a mechanic at a trucking company. I spent my first pay cheques on getting some reasonable tools together and as time went on, I saw them start disappearing. Turns out, some of the truckers, who made loads more than I did, thought nothing of going into your box and taking a screwdriver or something to fiddle with something and then just drop it anywhere (usually on the floor of the truck). There was no way I could afford to keep replacing them at the rate they were going. It got to the point that I would go to the box, unlock it, take what I needed, and lock it back up before going back to where I was working.

I heard a shout one day “Hey” and when I looked up, one of the drivers were standing in front of my box and he said “How come this is locked? I need a screwdriver”. I answered him with a profanity laced tirade about the fact that they were MY tools (he knew that too), and the box was locked specifically to keep HIM out of it and that I couldn’t afford to be a free supply of tools to people that were making four times what I was. If they had come back, I would have probably let it go, but I was young, broke, just starting out, and putting everything I had into that job. I never lost a tool after that (at that job). The box stayed locked. I was totally stunned at the guys nerve and that sent me off the deep end.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I’m not working on a jobsite now, but a lot of these definitely apply for me even in my new context with maintenance guys. Thanks for sharing – I am definitely trying to be a self-starter and work hard.

John S

Holy Crap @JimDaddyO I can’t believe the nerve of some people. I would have gone off on him too.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

perhaps you should show this page to the guy and have him hear from other people that his stuff isn’t tolerated and maybe he needs to reflect on himself.

@r-ice and @Montreal_Medic go back and read up on the thread on DirtyWhiteBoy. He is not doing that job anymore. Check out the thread

@r-ice and @Montreal_Medic go back and read up on the thread on DirtyWhiteBoy. He is not doing that job anymore. Check out the thread

Didn’t see that – hope it was by his choice

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes,, I quit that job.

Doobie

Yes,, I quit that job.

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out Dirty. Some things are not meant to be and moving on is the only reasonable option.

Have to go catch up on your other thread. Haven’t read it in a while.

Cheers!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I was referring to this comment.

So they are paying some at that rate to afford the tools and trucks.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No that was a union job. No need for tools, just your bags and a bike to get to work.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

No that was a union job. No need for tools, just your bags and a bike to get to work.

so it was even better? lol you don’t have to pay for anything and you get paid more than the regular joes?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

so it was even better? lol you don’t have to pay for anything and you get paid more than the regular joes?

No they are the regular Joes.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.451 seconds