dcsimg

Job site pens and markers

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  roninohio 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I started this thread with a title of “who’s pen is the best?” but I don’t know if that will break any forum rule that would send me to a virtual jail so I rephrased it.

So who makes the best, long lasting, non fading marking instrument on rough, dusty, dirty surfaces like concrete, plaster, stucco, that one can draw a line or mark a location with, that will stay at least a few days in the hot sun and rain?

I have used various versions of sharpies, Milwaukee inkzall, regular carpenter pencils. What else is out there?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

In my shop I use various colours of chalk, pencils and markers depending on the material and the degree of precision required. I also us a utility knife and a marking knife, again, depending on precision required.

Most rough marking is done with chalk or pencil.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

We have had quite the discussion on the Inkzall.
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/milwaukee-inkzall-markers/

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve wondered about the Pica Visor Marking Crayons on the bottom of this page at LV for some time.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=71121&cat=1,42935,42936,43509,71121

Anybody ever try them? They’re not cheap and I can’t find them anywhere but at LV. They’re made in Germany.

This one though, would be one I’d be most interested in…

https://www.pica-marker.com/en/pen/pica-classic-590-pro-lumber-industrial-marking-crayon

Problem is, I don’t think you can get them here in NA. Seems it can write on just about anything wet or dry.

PICA has a lot of different cool marking pencils and markers.

https://www.pica-marker.com/en/products-0#

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I carry a carpenter pencil and a Inksall on me daily.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CB
    Pro

A scratch awl makes a more precise mark in wood than

So who makes the best, long lasting, non fading marking instrument on rough, dusty, dirty surfaces like concrete, plaster, stucco, that one can draw a line or mark a location with, that will stay at least a few days in the hot sun and rain?

I have used various versions of sharpies, Milwaukee inkzall, regular carpenter pencils. What else is out there?

A scratch awl, scribe, soapstone, sharp pointed punch, utility knife… any or all of the foregoing instruments will meet your “rough, dusty, dirty surfaces like concrete, plaster, stucco, that will stay at least a few days in the hot sun and rain” requirements.

I bought a bunch of Milwaukee Inkzalls. Once. The best thing I’ve noticed about them is how clever their product name is. Leveraging their stellar reputation with their class defining Sawzalls, by making an artful play on words with the name Inksall. Smart. Very smart. It worked, too. I bought them. But as marking pens, I’ve found better at the Dollar store.

I had a small pile of Inkzalls ready to return to Home Depot… I just never got around to returning such a piddly group of items, and now that 90 days has passed, my loss. They are useless as marking pens. When I reach for a marker that I know will work, I reach around the Inkzalls to get to the Sharpies. Or a pencil. Plenty of carpenter’s pencils on hand, and a quck slice with a utility knife can shape and sharpen the lead for more precise marking if required.

But the thinnest, most precise mark is a scratch, made by a sharp metal instrument. That scratch will last through sun and rain, dust and rough. Maybe even longer than you want it to.

Clev08
    Pro

I have an Inkzall and a pencil but sometimes I use my utility knife to mark a cut line

Doobie
    Pro

I picked these two Pica ‘Visor’ Markers today. Been curious about them for some time and decided to buy a couple of them at LV today.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I usually just use a regular pencil . I got pretty used to using them in the cabinet shops. A carpenter pencil was never fine enough for precise marks. I am going to find a light color marker for the vinyl planks we have been using. I can’t see pencil lines on the dark color flooring.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.303 seconds