dcsimg

Jim's Watertone videos

This topic contains 788 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 789 total)
  • Author

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I just put a short one together today. A bit of a change in pace on project videos. I will get back to editing the oil cabinet build video in a while. Variety is the spice of life they say, so I might as well mix it up a bit. I have to give a big shout out to Jim for helping me out and shipping the part directly instead of dealing with UPS claim service, which kinda felt like the inquisition.

Jim,
    Great to hear that BTP-Jim hooked you up and all is fine in the Watertone woodshop.
    My Axial missed delivery yesterday because of damage to the “shipping label”, I hope they did not play soccer with mine as they did with yours.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I just put a short one together today. A bit of a change in pace on project videos. I will get back to editing the oil cabinet build video in a while. Variety is the spice of life they say, so I might as well mix it up a bit. I have to give a big shout out to Jim for helping me out and shipping the part directly instead of dealing with UPS claim service, which kinda felt like the inquisition.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ctpxaMpEqQs?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Thanks, Jim, always enjoy your videos.

Router plane is on my wish list, too.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

Well, first day of the year and I spent it editing video. Took most of the day and uploading it takes another hour and a half. So much for what they call high speed internet….lol

Happy New Year!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ctpxaMpEqQs?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

It is always nice to watch someone else work 🙂 How well does the dust collector work on that saw ?

It is always nice to watch someone else work :-) How well does the dust collector work on that saw ?

Not too bad. There is some in the bag anyway. I will be trying to make an extension on the bottom to see if it catches more. There is quite a gap, as you can see, between the bottom of the chute and the top of the table.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice well done video.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Another great video. Hand cut half-laps came out looking nice. Not easy to do.

Orange County, CA

yellaD
    Pro

I’ve never seen a homemade router plane jig like that! I might try that. 🙂 Any tips you can give?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Well, first day of the year and I spent it editing video. Took most of the day and uploading it takes another hour and a half. So much for what they call high speed internet….lol

Always enjoy watching, Jim. Your router plane seems to work well.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Happy New Year!

ThanX for the video, Jim. The Essential oil cabinet is coming along.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I’ve never seen a homemade router plane jig like that! I might try that. :) Any tips you can give?

Use a piece of softwood, it seems to grip better. I also found that a bit larger piece is easier to hold and manipulate. It would also be better if you had an older chisel with no handle. I wasn’t about to take it off my good Narex. The handle weight makes it a bit awkward. Other than that, watch Paul Sellers videos on it. I have seen a few of them hand built using an Allen key (hex wrench) for the blade. Also known as a “hags tooth” or “grandmas tooth” plane.

On new years eve I found out I won one (a Stanley # 71) from a channel I subscribe to on YT. Matthew Morris at the MM Wood Studio got a new Veritas one for Christmas and so he gave it away. I sent him a link to my second video and he was sufficiently confident that I would use it like it should be, instead of sitting on a shelf. I looked it up and the Veritas blades will fit it if I need them. I think the narrower ones will be most useful. Easier to push through the wood and I can make several passes if needed to get the wider slots done.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I’ve never seen a homemade router plane jig like that! I might try that. :) Any tips you can give?

Use a piece of softwood, it seems to grip better. I also found that a bit larger piece is easier to hold and manipulate. It would also be better if you had an older chisel with no handle. I wasn’t about to take it off my good Narex. The handle weight makes it a bit awkward. Other than that, watch Paul Sellers videos on it. I have seen a few of them hand built using an Allen key (hex wrench) for the blade. Also known as a “hags tooth” or “grandmas tooth” plane.

On new years eve I found out I won one (a Stanley # 71) from a channel I subscribe to on YT. Matthew Morris at the MM Wood Studio got a new Veritas one for Christmas and so he gave it away. I sent him a link to my second video and he was sufficiently confident that I would use it like it should be, instead of sitting on a shelf. I looked it up and the Veritas blades will fit it if I need them. I think the narrower ones will be most useful. Easier to push through the wood and I can make several passes if needed to get the wider slots done.

Man, you’re having some good luck lately!

yellaD
    Pro

Softer wood makes sense! Thanks for the inspiration, I will try this until I get a “real” router plane.

In order to make the table saw move in the directions I need it to, I need casters on all 4 corners. I am not a fan of this arrangement, it gives less control than having 2 wheels fixed. But I have to make compromises in order to get the shop arranged (or rearranged) the way I want it.

So, starting with getting the Bosch saw, and needing a place to put it, began a series of events that lead to the whole shop changing. This is just one of the events along that path.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JDO that came out pretty nice and being able to get it where you need it is a big help.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Oh, I should mention, before someone points it out. There were plywood spacers above the old wheels too. I put new ones in because of the change in bolt pattern, so that is not the reason the saw was out of level with only one side changed.

JDO that came out pretty nice and being able to get it where you need it is a big help.

Thanks, it works as I had planned, there is more to the story and you will see the reason why I needed all 4 to be casters…..maybe on the next shop update video. I think the next one will be more on the essential oil rack when I get it edited.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

In order to make the table saw move in the directions I need it to, I need casters on all 4 corners. I am not a fan of this arrangement, it gives less control than having 2 wheels fixed. But I have to make compromises in order to get the shop arranged (or rearranged) the way I want it.

So, starting with getting the Bosch saw, and needing a place to put it, began a series of events that lead to the whole shop changing. This is just one of the events along that path.

A shop is always a work in progress. This should make yours a little more flexible.

A shop is always a work in progress. This should make yours a little more flexible.

Yes, I am well pleased with how things are coming along. I am going to get the camera out and do another shop tour because so much has changed. It will be a while until it comes out though. I have a couple more to edit first. Going to try to get another out this week.

Looking forward to more progress updates.

Orange County, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am going to get the camera out and do another shop tour because so much has changed.

JDO looking forward to it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 789 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 4.772 seconds