dcsimg

Jim's Watertone videos

This topic contains 634 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Greg GTokley 1 day, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 635 total)
  • Author

I can’t remember where or when I post these things. I hope you don’t mind if I just put them in here to share with you. I just finished editing and posting the second video to You Tube today, and I don’t know if I put it in here. This is the build of the essential oil cabinet that I made for my son for Christmas. There are pics in the Christmas Projects thread.

So the first one:

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

And the second one I finished today:

Enjoyed the video. You do some nice work. One thing that amazes me is the table top that you work on. The smooth surface would drive me crazy, but it certainly doesn’t hurt the quality of your work. Thanks, for the videos

Profile photo of Andy
    yellaD
    Pro

Thanks for the vids! I like your hand tools, I have the same Narex chisels. What rabbet plane do you have? Is that a Stanley #4?

Enjoyed the video. You do some nice work. One thing that amazes me is the table top that you work on. The smooth surface would drive me crazy, but it certainly doesn’t hurt the quality of your work. Thanks, for the videos

The table top drives me nuts too. I am dreaming of a new workbench.

Thanks for the vids! I like your hand tools, I have the same Narex chisels. What rabbet plane do you have? Is that a Stanley #4?

It is a Record 078….I have a video on it around the forum somewhere, may as well put a copy here where it is handy.

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Blocked
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man at 2:15 the big hand saw that came out and ripped that board was sometin

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Man at 2:15 the big hand saw that came out and ripped that board was sometin

One of my 50 cent specials. I picked up 4 saws at a yard sale for $2. 2 were Distons and the other 2 I refiled to a rip pattern. They are about 7 ppi, so a little fine, I am thinking of re toothing one to about 4 or 5 ppi

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Thanks for sharing, Jim. I didn’t realize how much hand work you do in your projects. Now I understand why you like the saw bench so much.

And I will echo Ed’s comment about the shiny top bench.

Good tutorial on the rabbet plane tune-up.

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Jim,
    Don’t mind you posting video’s at all. Always enjoy the your quality work you do.

And for the record, you have not posted the the first two video’s. 🙂

Dis your son enjoy his essential oil cabinet?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Bill
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JDO excellent videos. I really enjoyed all the work you were doing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yah i love now there is a central location for all your videos. i can easily reference them when I need to see a certain one.

Jim,
    Don’t mind you posting video’s at all. Always enjoy the your quality work you do.

And for the record, you have not posted the the first two video’s. :)

Dis your son enjoy his essential oil cabinet?

yeah, he was pretty stoked about it. Thanks about the posting info on the other videos. I am active in a few communities and things sometimes get muddled.

Thank you everyone for all the comments. I am still learning and trying new things and enjoying it all.

Profile photo of Andy
    yellaD
    Pro

Yes I remember that video. THanks again, very informative. BTW, do you sharpen your chisels to 35* also?

Yes I remember that video. THanks again, very informative. BTW, do you sharpen your chisels to 35* also?

I sharpen just about everything with a 25 degree primary bevel, then a 1 degree micro bevel. I use a veritas MKll jig to get these. I touch up often, and I just do that by hand. The only exception is my #5 plane which I use mostly as a fore plane and that is at 30 degrees.

I still experiment with it a lot and have thought of going back to sharpening by hand just to save time. I think I have reached a compromise of methods I like. I am also thinking of adding a strope to the process. My finest stone is the 4000 grit one you get with the mk ll in the set from LV.

I have an old hardware store oil stone I use for roughing out and changing primary bevels on older things I have just bought, the axes, etc. It has 2 grits and I have no clue what they are. I use chainsaw bar oil with it.

I just put a short one together today. A bit of a change in pace on project videos. I will get back to editing the oil cabinet build video in a while. Variety is the spice of life they say, so I might as well mix it up a bit. I have to give a big shout out to Jim for helping me out and shipping the part directly instead of dealing with UPS claim service, which kinda felt like the inquisition.

Profile photo of Charles
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I just put a short one together today. A bit of a change in pace on project videos. I will get back to editing the oil cabinet build video in a while. Variety is the spice of life they say, so I might as well mix it up a bit. I have to give a big shout out to Jim for helping me out and shipping the part directly instead of dealing with UPS claim service, which kinda felt like the inquisition.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ctpxaMpEqQs?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Good to hear you got the part so quick and it was an easy fix.

Profile photo of Andy
    yellaD
    Pro

I sharpen just about everything with a 25 degree primary bevel, then a 1 degree micro bevel. I use a veritas MKll jig to get these. I touch up often, and I just do that by hand. The only exception is my #5 plane which I use mostly as a fore plane and that is at 30 degrees.

I still experiment with it a lot and have thought of going back to sharpening by hand just to save time. I think I have reached a compromise of methods I like. I am also thinking of adding a strope to the process. My finest stone is the 4000 grit one you get with the mk ll in the set from LV.

I have an old hardware store oil stone I use for roughing out and changing primary bevels on older things I have just bought, the axes, etc. It has 2 grits and I have no clue what they are. I use chainsaw bar oil with it.

Cool, I sharpen everything to 35 degrees, on my MKII as well, but without a micro bevel. I’m just starting to experiment so I need a common ground to start. Already I know that I’d like to keep my #4 Record at 35 or lower, and my Krenov smoother higher at around 40. For chisels and LOB plane, I’d like to try your 25.

Awesome videos! Love the hand tool work. DO you use mostly hand tools? I saw you used a power drill for a brief moment in one of the videos. I noticed you used a chisel to clean up the dado bottoms. I started using a small router plane for that type of work and it does an amazing job and perfectly flat bottoms. Not sure if you have tried that technique. Good stuff and I just subscribed to your channel!

Orange County, CA

Awesome videos! Love the hand tool work. DO you use mostly hand tools? I saw you used a power drill for a brief moment in one of the videos. I noticed you used a chisel to clean up the dado bottoms. I started using a small router plane for that type of work and it does an amazing job and perfectly flat bottoms. Not sure if you have tried that technique. Good stuff and I just subscribed to your channel!

Thanks for the kind words and subscription. I use both hand tools and power tools. It depends on what I am doing. Sometimes I just feel the urge to be close to the wood and keep it to the hand tools. I want a router plane, it is on the wish list. I don’t think I will ever give up my power tools though. They are fun too!

Cool, I sharpen everything to 35 degrees, on my MKII as well, but without a micro bevel. I’m just starting to experiment so I need a common ground to start. Already I know that I’d like to keep my #4 Record at 35 or lower, and my Krenov smoother higher at around 40. For chisels and LOB plane, I’d like to try your 25.

25 to 30 degrees is pretty common. I have not heard too much of people going outside of those angles for a bevel.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 635 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 4.924 seconds