dcsimg

Jigs and Fixtures

This topic contains 467 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 1 day, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 468 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Hope he truly doesn’t share my email address as he claims!

I’ve been signed up for several months now and have seen no evidence of anything funny going on. It’s my understanding he earns quite a bit of his income from his work online so I’m sure he doesn’t want to jeopardize that.

That’s good to know. Thanks!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I’ve seen several versions of this design; this is, by far, the best one I have encountered.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’ve seen several versions of this design; this is, by far, the best one I have encountered.

Peter Thanks for that. It looks like that jig can come in handy for some projects.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Maybe I’ll sign up just to see what kind of interesting links he finds. Thanks!

I singed up too.

I actually didn’t sign up til just now. Went for the weekly update option.

Hope he truly doesn’t share my email address as he claims!

No real concern these days. Mailing lists are essentially worthless these days unless they come with some real data attached, like age/gender/location, and even then most people give so much info away on social media that scraper software can assemble the info you give out on your own in public settings

A lot of email providers (gmail being one) allow +X to be added to your email, and it still goes to you. So if your email was doobie@gmail.com, you could fill out the form as doobie+jigmailinglist@gmail.com or something and you would still get it. If you ever get spam sent to that email address, you know who sent/shared it.

Also works for free samples and trials where the email address is checked to see if its your first time.

this worked well when it first came out but the those guys have smartened up to it now. They take out the .1 or + 1 portion now when the resell your email address.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Pretty slick jig.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/7j4vGS4HY-8?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”433″ width=”770″></iframe></figure>

Thank you for posting the video. Slick design.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice jig @smallerstick. Thanks for sharing. Time to check out more of Spagnulo’s videos.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Nice jig @smallerstick. Thanks for sharing. Time to check out more of Spagnulo’s videos.

Funny, I forget about him for a while, then something pops up with his name on it. Then I’m back following him again.

Facing the plywood with hardwood strips and jointing them makes such good sense for making jigs. That tip was worth the price of admission alone. Looking around the shop, I can see a few jigs that could benefit from that tip.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I saw that video last year. Some one posted it when I asked about a dado jig. I ended up making one out of melamine. I think dabbs did one with it. Cant say I was happy with it, could have used a playing card as a spacer so it rolls through the work piece.

One thing that frustrates me is the amount of tools used make these jigs. I dont own a router table and that very tool allows you a higher level of accuracy.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

His site is great. I am friends with him on Lumberjocks, and it’s always interesting to see what he makes.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s a fantastic jig.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

One thing that frustrates me is the amount of tools used make these jigs. I dont own a router table and that very tool allows you a higher level of accuracy.

It’s kind of a vicious circle; you buy a tool, the make a dozen or more jigs just to be able to use it to its potential. Seems every time you do another job, you need yet another jig.

Here is a gap in my trivia knowledge…..

When you use power tools it is a jig
    When you use hand tools it is a fixture

Anyone know how that came about?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

All about which moves

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It’s kind of a vicious circle; you buy a tool, the make a dozen or more jigs just to be able to use it to its potential. Seems every time you do another job, you need yet another jig.

You are right…jigs make things easier and more precise, so I feel like it’s worth the effort to make a proper jig.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Oh absolutely….built in cabinetry is something I would enjoy but not something I want to be doing for work at this point. Saying that I have so…..many tools for so many different areas of construction I have been feeling weighed down by them lately. So as tempting as a router table and more clamping tools are I am not up to it….yet.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Thanks, I didn’t know that.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Does anybody have a good jig that can index spacing for a router??

I am doing cut out slots for radiator vents and the bottom of a custom gun rack. Both are similar but one is obviously bigger.

The slot or oval is easy. So is the depth from the edge of the board. What I am looking for is something faster to index the side movement for the next slot. Some thing that is repeatable AND adjustable if possible.

I am using the good old tape measure and a mark. It’s OK but not perfect. OK on the gun rack but I chucked one cover as I was a hair over on one slot and a hair under on the next and it was noticeable…

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I made this for making our toe kick vents…I used shelf pins to hold the jig in place and then drilled index holes so I can move the jig for each slot.

Is this what you mean @thedude306?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That’s exactly what I was meaning! Thanks @overanalyze

I am gong to steal that if you don’t mind. I will do a couple different set of holes for the spacing. Should work slick. I’m off to pick up my drill press on Wed so that should make drilling easier.

I like the split vent as well. The first one I did ran the slots the short way and went the full length of the vent but I think I like the way your layout looks better.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 468 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 5.279 seconds