dcsimg

Japanese Hand Saws

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Instead of clogging up the other thread I’ll get this one going for discussion on the different Japanese Hand saws and which to use for what.

58chev congrats on the BBQ spatula lol
    That looks like a very nice saw. Looking forward to seeing it in use Frank.

58chev congratulations on the saw!You gonna do some Japanese joinery with it?

@
    58chev
    those saws are perfect to cut under the jambs when you doing flooring. What you planing to use it on.

congrats on your new tool. what a nice japanese saw…I only hear good things about those

58chev nice saw, I’m jealous! I’d love to have a few Japanese saws.

ThanX folks,
    It will definitely be used for joinery, I don’t have a good selection of saws at this point but am trying to better my collection.
    Next on my list is a Dozuku Saw.

Congrats on that saw 58chev. I’m looking forward to your comments as well. My only Japanese saw is a LV dovetail saw which is just a joy to use. It makes me think I need more of them so I’m ready to learn all about them.

I certainly want to hear your impressions. I want to try Japanese saws, but I dont know where to start, and their names are all, well Japanese, to me

oh they are fantastic, I use mine quite a bit, I eventually want to get into western type saws but at the moment the japanese ones are significantly cheaper in price. I am using a construction style ryoba and it works amazing and fast.

Here is a good link posted up by @brianpeters

@Montreal_Medic here is a link that may be of use to you.
    http://www.japanwoodworker.com/resources/articles.aspx?ArticleId=14
    I don’t know much about Japanese saws either, but looks like a good read.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Which one can I get to make stuff like this?

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Those saws are awesome, my dad had one he got years ago. We would use it for a lot of things that we use the omt for now.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

where are you buying your japanese saws from, im a huge fan of them but havent broken into the higher end saws yet

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I used to have Vaughn Bear saw, kind of a cheap American version of a Japanese saw I think. Used it for cutting off shims when hanging doors.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

where are you buying your japanese saws from, im a huge fan of them but havent broken into the higher end saws yet

@jkirk
    Jeff the one I have came from Amazon and is shipped in from Japan. They do have others that I have been looking at ordering. Typically shipping is free or next to nothing.

— Glenn Botting

Thanks for this!

Bookmarked!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

A quick thanks for this thread. I’ll be following closely. Going to watch the videos now; I’ll be full of questions after, no doubt.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Nice japanese hand saw you got there. looking forward what others have to say about it and with what this thread gets filled up with.
    I’ve seen this saw in many shops…woodworker and contractor

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

@58chev nice congrats. What you planing to cut with it. I used simular baldes to cut under the door jambs when I didn’t have a any other power tools to cut with. Does the job.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve been carrying a Gomboy Sliky in my bags for over 25 years, I wouldn’t work with out it.

Attachments:
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ill take a look on amazon soon for some.. im gonna start messing around more with japanese joinery. the tooth pattern on hte japanese saws is so much better than a western style backsaw

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve been carrying a Gomboy Sliky in my bags for over 25 years, I wouldn’t work with out it.

For trim work it probably comes in very handy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

58chev nice congrats. What you planing to cut with it. I used simular baldes to cut under the door jambs when I didn’t have a any other power tools to cut with. Does the job.

@masterbosch
    I have an old double sided Stanley saw that I use for the bottoms of door jambs.
    This one will live in my shop and be used for tenons and other wood cutting.

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

ill take a look on amazon soon for some.. im gonna start messing around more with japanese joinery. the tooth pattern on hte japanese saws is so much better than a western style backsaw

https://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/

is another great resource for japanese style saws and japanese tools. I’ve bought a few things from them before and its always great service.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have a modern Ryoba from Lee Valley. I have a hard time bonding with it. I guess I am too accustomed to western style saws but I pull it out and try it again now and then.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I have a modern Ryoba from Lee Valley. I have a hard time bonding with it. I guess I am too accustomed to western style saws but I pull it out and try it again now and then.

I have a full collection of western saws, but almost everyone talks about the japanese saws as though they are magic. I want to try them out of curiosity mostly

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

is another great resource for japanese style saws and japanese tools. I’ve bought a few things from them before and its always great service.

Good site, I have it bookmarked for later. Prices appear to be very good compared to LV and some others.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

For trim work it probably comes in very handy.

I can get blades with all different teeth configurations on them for all different kinds of work.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Good site, I have it bookmarked for later. Prices appear to be very good compared to LV and some others.

Some interesting stuff on that site.

@r-ice
    , do you know if they sell and ship to Canada? Prices seem to be all in Yen.

— Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.280 seconds