dcsimg

James Hardie Siding Discussion.

This topic contains 145 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 141 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • Author

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If your siding is laid out correctly cut the 1″ piece off and set the rest of the pieces aside. the piece you cut the 1″ off of should work for your top piece if you are laid out to have an even exposure top to bottom.

We have also used cedar or treated rips for a starter. As for being exposed on the bottom, the main piece of siding will cover the ripper and the bottom of the two pieces should line up. We have also used Tamlyn or Versatex trims for starters.

http://tamlynstore.com/VCSS.aspx

https://versatex.com/installing-stealth-skirtboard

You could also mill a starter out of the Boral true exterior material and they make one also

http://www.boralamerica.com/TruExterior/About/boral-truexterior%C2%AE-siding-trim-accessories

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Received my carbide tipped 3 pack of Hitachi fiber cement blades from Amazon yesterday. This was pretty well the last item I needed for that job coming up soon finally.

Glad to see you have all the tools. Looking forward to seeing the siding going on.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

redwood
    Pro

I’ve used everything for my starter strip, except the kitchen sink. As far as I know, no issues. I did buy a box of PVC starter strip, I think it was Tamlyn, out of Texas. There were a lot of strips in that box, so it lasted many years, but it was pretty costly in my eyes. No sweat, as the owner of the apartment complex that we were siding paid for it.

Do you have your flashing tape for behind any joints? run it up over the lower course. Seal those cuts.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Long overdue getting back to this thread with replies and further progress on my siding install setup and its implementation. Let me get started….

Btw, thanks for the replies guys!!!

If your siding is laid out correctly cut the 1″ piece off and set the rest of the pieces aside. the piece you cut the 1″ off of should work for your top piece if you are laid out to have an even exposure top to bottom.

We have also used cedar or treated rips for a starter. As for being exposed on the bottom, the main piece of siding will cover the ripper and the bottom of the two pieces should line up. We have also used Tamlyn or Versatex trims for starters.

http://tamlynstore.com/VCSS.aspx

https://versatex.com/installing-stealth-skirtboard

You could also mill a starter out of the Boral true exterior material and they make one also

http://www.boralamerica.com/TruExterior/About/boral-truexterior%C2%AE-siding-trim-accessories

I looked at those products and just couldn’t find any places local that carried any of them or that in one case not available at all in Canada. Would have been nice to not have to do my own starter strips and save some time, but that’s what I ended up doing. I made them out of cedar with a tapered face so as to minimize the potential for breakage at the bottom if anything bangs into it.

I put a collage together of my making of the starter strips. I found the correct angle of 3.75 degrees, ripped them at that angle on my TS, then did the straight cuts on my bandsaw.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=KGFvCXBvStk

Do you have your flashing tape for behind any joints? run it up over the lower course. Seal those cuts.

Hardie says I can just use cut squares of of house wrap at the butt end joints. Is that what you are referring to Mark?

I was gonna use coil stock cut into 6X6 pieces, but I’m deciding not to unless someone tells me otherwise. I just figure coil stock pieces will create unevenness in the run where it is under the butt joints.

Now for some of the things I’ve done since a while back…..

I bought a very somewhat unorthodox mobile stand on clearance last fall for $50 not truly knowing what I might want to use it for although I kinda thought it may be a home for my Bullet Tools siding shearer. Well I did conjure up a way to get it to work for me with my shearer.

It’s not like the shearer is heavy and needs a stand due to its weight, it’s just that I knew when it would come to bevel cuts it was gonna be a PITA maybe constantly turning/re-orientating it to make cuts.

I also made it so that the shearer’s platten is at the same height as my two Keter tables that I will use for external support along with a couple of pop-up roller stands when appropriate.

The beauty of this is that I have basically created a ‘lazy susan’ portable stand for my shearer. I can spin it in any direction to do any angle of cut. I’m quite pleased with this effort and it didn’t take a huge amount of time and other than the $50 on the stand, everything else was stuff I had lying around.

But one of the PITA things I found was locating studs from the exterior. None of my two stud finders were any good at this and even trying to use a story stick wasn’t working out efficiently for me. It’s gonna be especially hard to use a story stick at some of the higher points along the structure as well just because of the way it is built and because I already have a shitload of crap in this shed already. Lol!

So today I went and bought three additional different ones and set up an experiment to see which type would work best. I also compared my really old Zircon, a newer one that I picked up last year at Costco (can’t recall the name), both those were useless frankly. Two that I bought today were the Zircon L550 and the HD900 and also the Bosch GSM120. I also wanted to see how effective using metal detectors/sensors I already have on hand were maybe finding nail or screws but that also proved to be useless. Not accurate/pinpoint enough.

The Zircon L550 came out on top with the least amount of false readings, in fact it was pretty well flawless. The problem with showing its results in the video below of that model is you can’t see the red screen imaging that shows on the display in the video like you can for the other Zircon which has a blue imaging screen. You can see its red ‘center’ indicator flashing onto the housewrap though.

I set up the test to replicate what I’m dealing with. Half inch exterior ply sheathing covered with housewrap. I also raised the carcass and placed a scrap piece of 2X4 to rest 15mm away from the bottom surface. This would also give some false readings for the two main contenders. The idea of the scrap piece was to replicate objects leaning up against the wall and in between studs already in my shed and how it may affect readings. I also picked some of the 2X4 pieces that had imperfect naturally beveled edges. The beveled edges did prove to be troublesome for all but the L550.

https://youtu.be/98jpK8YAj-M

Another thing I did was build a carrying and install jig for the lap siding and starter course solo install tool. This took forever to build frankly. I think I spent the better part of three days conjuring this thing up and at times, my brain was hurtin’. It is basically designed to be able to carry the siding vertically, or simply rest it while waiting for its final travel but more importantly, it is designed to make the install of the starter course a solo job. I placed my first piece yesterday with it and along with my TASK pole thingies, it worked great.

I might look to patent this thing. Needs a few tweaks though, but it works. I can use it to also bring further full pieces from my pile, go up a ladder or scaffolding holding the carry jig and the harnessed full length of siding in one hand and place subsequent courses directly into the grooves of my Gecko gauges. The way it is designed allows me to release each piece by sliding it down and away. I’m just starting to use it, but so far so good. I paid particular attention to weight. It probably weighs a couple of pounds at the most.

Pics of the siding install jig to follow.

EDIT: I’m not sure if some of the videos I linked are showing up. Can someone let me know?

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

That is some jig you made there to help
    You hold up the siding @doobie . Nice to see you getting progress on your garage .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

That is some jig you made there to help
    You hold up the siding @doobie . Nice to see you getting progress on your garage .

Thanks! It is really great at installing the first course. Thoughts to use it for lugging boards from the pile are pointless, even for when my 13 yo son is helping me out. But for setting the first course solo, it’s primo imo.

I have so much else to report on my actual first ever siding install using Hardie planks and my findings on usages of different pieces of equipment I acquired for it insofar as what works and what doesn’t, but you guys know me….I’m gonna need to get some long winded post composed at some point and dig up appropriate pics. Looking for a rain day to do such. Patience, a good update is coming. Thing is, unlike most of this summer, there’s no real rain days in sight right now….Doh/Lol!

Here’s where it’s at right now. Still to do is the dormer part, the face of the entrance overhang, and lastly the backside. Saving the backside for last to use shorts leftover on its lower part where nobody will see it.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

Viewing 6 posts - 141 through 146 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.183 seconds