dcsimg

James Hardie Siding Discussion.

This topic contains 145 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

But I did want to throw this out there to you pros, what temps have you installed JH siding down to in cold temps?

As low as the low 70s…..

We have done a lot of work with Hardi. It is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

I have sided dozens and dozens if not hundreds of homes with all kinds of hardie and I’ve never heard of a dog dying lol!!!! This is a good example of trim guys verses framers.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I have read that their trim and soffit products are challenging to work with. I didn’t go with either. Just the lap siding.

Just got the HD email that my order is ready and to call them to arrange delivery.

Kevin.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Just got the HD email that my order is ready and to call them to arrange delivery.

Turns out the driver calls me before I even had a chancce to call them and was here in ten minutes dropping my order.

Pallet of 120 boards was somewhat smaller than I thought. I had him lay it on some old block skids that I was actually about to put in my garbage pick-up for tomorrow just to help keep it off the ground better.

They did a good job wrapping it up from the weather as the HD manager had offered to do for me should they need to stay there over the course of the winter before I get to installing them which I strongly suspect will likely be the case. Just ran out of season todo this kind of work. We’re supposed to get super cold over the next two weeks per the forecast. Minus 20C in a couple of days. They really aren’t taking much room in my driveway anyways. Nowhere near as cumbersome looking as I thought.

Kevin.

Stilla
    Pro

The people i have been around who install it don’t use much caution. The dust gets all over my car, they use a leaf blower to clean up the dust. I am happy to hear that those who have experience with the material and know what they are getting into with it, and take the time to be responsible.

People might say well its not that bad. I work around Azek dust, spray foam chemicals, hardwood dust, pressure treated material dust, drywall dust, paint vapors, ply wood resin and glue dust, hardwood floor coating vapors. I am a finish carpenter, this dust and vapor is locked in the home i work in., i spend a lot of time on a job. For me hardy board is just another obstacle i need protect myself from. OR i am dead before 50.

redwood
    Pro

@stilla

I guess I should be dead then, I’m 63 and worked around all those items you mentioned for over 40 years. In the early years, we probably stupidly didn’t concern ourselves with to much of the safety aspect of those items. As I got older, we did improve on our safety concerns, but probably never to the degree that you probably aspire to.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Stilla
    Pro

@stilla

I guess I should be dead then, I’m 63 and worked around all those items you mentioned for over 40 years. In the early years, we probably stupidly didn’t concern ourselves with to much of the safety aspect of those items. As I got older, we did improve on our safety concerns, but probably never to the degree that you probably aspire to.

So you are telling me that i shouldn’t be concerned. I’ll say you are lucky, i know a few dead carpenters, who had no chance at a second life, the cancer took over their bodies. I say it happened because our our jobs are toxic, and it gets worse everyday. hardy board is the next asbestos.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

On a similar note with respiratory concerns, I’ve watched every stone/paver contractor in and around my neighborhood the last few years just go right ahead with no dust mask at all cutting pavers and such. Just last summer, my neighbor next door had a huge backyard job done where they were at it for two weeks. Tons of pavers being cut and never a dust mask. Frankly I think that’s nuts, especially with what we know nowadays. I’m sure some of these guys WILL end up with silicosis or other respiratory problems later.

Kevin.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

OSHA has really changed the regulations on silica dust in the last year. contractors will be really chancing it not wet cutting or not using dust masks.

The OSHA changes are what have prompted all of the new dust collection devices that manufacturers have introduced in the last year or two.

I will have to say that the dust from Fiber cement boards is not that bad if you use the fiber cement blades and shears when possible. the small number of teeth on the blade take bigger bites and do not create the bug dust storms. I have seen guys using standard carbide blades and even diamond blades and creating serious dust storms.

It has been a few years now since we have done a fiber cement job. we have pretty much switched over to LP Smartside. Longer pieces mean fewer seams and you do not need special tools to cut it. Better warranties also.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I am a finish carpenter

I am a carpenter, Finishing is just one aspect of what I do.

OR i am dead before 50.

I have framed with PT lumber all my life. I think you are very sacrd and finish is the best place for you… I am over 50 and RedWood is almost as old as dirt. We are still kicking.

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

On a similar note with respiratory concerns, I’ve watched every stone/paver contractor in and around my neighborhood the last few years just go right ahead with no dust mask at all cutting pavers and such. Just last summer, my neighbor next door had a huge backyard job done where they were at it for two weeks. Tons of pavers being cut and never a dust mask. Frankly I think that’s nuts, especially with what we know nowadays. I’m sure some of these guys WILL end up with silicosis or other respiratory problems later.

You should have seen what I did today with out a dust mask

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

You should have seen what I did today with out a dust mask

I shouldn’t talk to some extent as I’m a cigaret smoker, and doing nasty dust every so often is likely not that big of a deal for the majority of people. The guys sucking it in almost every work day in a cloud of it like paver guys? That I just don’t get.

Kevin.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I rarely wear a mask either. We do a lot of demo, and the mask always causes my glasses to fog. I try to wear one when cutting Hardi, but I probably keep it on less than 50% of the time.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I had a superintendent on a job once who would get guys coming in looking for work. We would be at the beginning of a large job forming and pouring concrete for a few months yet and they would say they were a finish carpenter. As the finish work would not be happening for months, he would look at hem with a straight face and say “sorry, Today we are only hiring Norwegians and Swedes”

He had the philosophy that if you busted your but through the heavy work, you deserved to see the finish work also. (as long as they had the ability to do the trim work)

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Man, when I started here in the shop, we used to grind down the big fiber glass shells with just a little dust Mas, should have seen some of the guys, sick like dogs, and red like a lobster, things have definitely become more health conscious,
    And I don’t know how many jobs I have done in paving stones and tiling with out a mask,
    One thing for sure, with the information I know now, I will definitely take more precautions in doing this type of work.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Here’s a shot of a pro cutting hardie for the hall ceilings.
    You can see the blue squirrel cage fan blowing the dust away and he uses a scarf over his face.

Attachments:

Dirty

redwood
    Pro

I am over 50 and RedWood is almost as old as dirt. We are still kicking.

I get your drift Dirty, but come on, :old as dirt”. Dirt has been around since before man inhabited this earth.

The big thing is, there are so many things out there that are supposedly bad for us out there that we might as well crawl into sterile boxes. Everyone take care of themselves as they see fit. Know the dangers, but don’t let it consume you.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

but come on, :old as dirt

I said almost,,,, no humor tonight???

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING FROM OP.

How useful is it to get these Hitachi Fiber Cement Blades for my jigsaw?

https://www.amazon.ca/Hitachi-725397-4-Inch-Blades-Cement/dp/B0002VM25S/ref=pd_rhf_yast_s_qp_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002VM25S&pd_rd_r=MJ0RHPSEG2SF3WNQ72NR&pd_rd_w=ueZHe&pd_rd_wg=TJ7Qm&psc=1&refRID=MJ0RHPSEG2SF3WNQ72NR

I’m on the cusp of putting up Hardie siding on my shed build having never dealt with Hardie yet, but for which I have a host of other fiber cement board paraphernalia otherwise and am well equipped. I just thought for some tasks like cut outs that maybe having some fiber cement blades for my Bosch jigsaw might be wise in advance.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hitachi-725397-4-Inch-Blades-Cement/dp/B0002VM25S/ref=pd_rhf_yast_s_qp_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002VM25S&pd_rd_r=MJ0RHPSEG2SF3WNQ72NR&pd_rd_w=ueZHe&pd_rd_wg=TJ7Qm&psc=1&refRID=MJ0RHPSEG2SF3WNQ72NR

Just so the audience knows in advance on this old thread I re-started as the OP on Hardie related stuff…

I’ve got a fiber cement shearer attachment accessory thru Malco that can affix to one of my better drills, but I figure that’s for straight runs mostly.

http://malcoproducts.com/product/roofing-siding-gutter/siding-fiber-cement/backerboard-tools/turboshear-backerboard

I also have a 20 in Bullet Tools shearer for snapping off most of my cuts.

https://www.bullettools.com/siding/

I also have a CMT fiber cement blade for my Festool TS75 track saw and a Festool CT36AC for proper dust extraction as well.

http://www.festoolproducts.com/cmt-236-190-04m-fiber-cement-blade-190mm-x-4-teeth.html

Any PRO on Hardie vertical lap siding advice is welcome.

Kevin.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The Hitachi jig saw blades are great for cutting arches and corners on cutouts of windows and the like. that said, if you are only doing one job, they are probably not necessary. you may tear up a couple of cheaper blades but they will work. if you have a lot of curves and arches, then I would go with the Hitachi fiber cement blade.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

The Hitachi jig saw blades are great for cutting arches and corners on cutouts of windows and the like. that said, if you are only doing one job, they are probably not necessary. you may tear up a couple of cheaper blades but they will work. if you have a lot of curves and arches, then I would go with the Hitachi fiber cement blade.

Thanks Kurt.

Kurt, I’ve been meaning to ask you something else somewhat related from a post a vaguely recall some months ago, but I can’t recall if it was yourself who posted it. I ‘think’ you had posted a pic of some kind of what looked like a premolded saddle for fixtures/mechanicals for siding installation. It looked white and was obviously designed to prevent water infiltration for where one has like an electrical outlet on an exterior wall. Was that you, and if so who makes them? I’ve asked at my BB stores about these and nobody knows what I’m asking about.

Kevin.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.517 seconds