dcsimg

James Hardie Siding Discussion.

This topic contains 145 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

We do use the Malco support, it is quick and easy and half the price of the Gecko gauge and quicker. you can hang one end and the middle of the piece in the gauge then adjust the height as you go and remove the gauge. It replaces the string noted above. the gecko gauges will also replace the string and hold the siding in place.

I think I found their stuff here. I’m gonna read up on it later when I have time. Looks interesting at first glance. Thank you for posting it.

http://malcoproducts.com/product/roofing-siding-gutter/siding-fiber-cement/siding-tools-fiber-cement

They have a lot of interesting tools gizmos there for all sorts of things. Very unique and specialized stuff. Never heard of this company before. My wallet may be in peril! I may be cursing your name at some point. lol!

Kevin.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

we always just had a benchmark course which we measured off of and then snapped lines. we never used any jigs if it was a full wall to be sided we had 2-3 guys on the wall one of which would do all the cutting.. long pcs two of us would handle anything 5′ or less you did solo.

for butt joints in the field we just put a peice of tar paper or tyvek behind them

as for nailing the ends. using a siding nailer it almost never split. if hand nailing with roofing nails then yes it will, so you have to predrill it, same with using screws. for ripped peices for under windows or soffit we use the 15 gauge and put dabs of color match caulking on the under side to act as glue

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Flash ALL but joints with a color matched flashing, you’ll appreciate it in the event that a joint opens up.

Jon that is the best tip I have read in a long time. Thank you

No problem! The install looks like crap when the joints open up and you can see house wrap that is a completely different color.

I had a HUGE repair job at an apartment complex a while back that involved every single error you could possibly make. Open/unflashed but joints, blind nailing with a 16ga nailer ( I know, I know), and a host of other issues. This repair included 11 3 story buildings that housed about 700 people…I spent about 2 weeks on a 60′ lift…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Been reading some of their install directions to nite. I also signed up for access to their instructional videos. I’m getting my head wrapped around what’s involved a lot better now.

I also looked at what kinds of things Malco offered that Kurt had mentioned. Their stuff is readily available up here in Canada which is good for me.

Kevin.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I had a HUGE repair job at an apartment complex a while back that involved every single error you could possibly make. Open/unflashed but joints, blind nailing with a 16ga nailer ( I know, I know), and a host of other issues. This repair included 11 3 story buildings that housed about 700 people…I spent about 2 weeks on a 60′ lift…

Amazing sometimes the quality of work you find out there. It comes from the lowest bidder mentality. The problem with that is everyone assumes that all bids are of the same quality of work and the difference in price is labor and profit.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Amazing sometimes the quality of work you find out there. It comes from the lowest bidder mentality. The problem with that is everyone assumes that all bids are of the same quality of work and the difference in price is labor and profit.

True. Many people just don’t know what kinds of questions to ask to ensure that all of their bids are equivalent.

I try to be as thorough as possible and write a step by step detailed scope of work with each estimate. It lets the client know that I know what I’m doing and tells them exactly what they are paying for. No surprises later on!

Jon P.
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I try to be as thorough as possible and write a step by step detailed scope of work with each estimate. It lets the client know that I know what I’m doing and tells them exactly what they are paying for. No surprises later on!

When I was doing restoration work we included pictures of like projects so the customer had an idea of what kind of work we did. It is one thing to tell them what you will do but showing them examples of your work helps especially if you are not the lowest bidder.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

When I was doing restoration work we included pictures of like projects so the customer had an idea of what kind of work we did. It is one thing to tell them what you will do but showing them examples of your work helps especially if you are not the lowest bidder.

I like that idea. Most of my pictures end up on the Facebook page, but I never know if the client sees them.

And I can’t say that I’ve ever been the lowest bidder, so physically presenting photos might be a nice thing to do.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I was trying to do some research as to what it costs for installing JH siding. One place seemed to indicate about $10 or so per square foot, and another source showed that prices for the installation can run from 75 to 200 percent of that of the material cost.

Some of the sources I looked at…..

http://home.costhelper.com/fiber-cement-siding.html

http://www.remodelingexpense.com/costs/cost-of-hardiplank-siding/

You don’t know what to believe???

I think the most common range I find seems to be in the $10 per sq foot. I assume it would be more here in Canada.

Kevin.

I have installed my fair share of fiber cement siding. I have also replaced a couple of bad Certainteed cement fiber. One we used the Certainteed again because they semt us the product for free. The other we used Hardie because the client was not about to use Certainteed again.

We keep a copy of the instructions in the file of the year we install the siding. This saved our butt on one job because they tried to tell us we didn’t install it correctly. They were right, it wasn’t installed according to the current set of instructions. We whipped out the instructions from the yewr we installed it and guess what?…it was installed correctly. Ha…!!

All that aside, we use the Malco helpers. They work pretty good. Flashing, flashing, flashing! It is very important to use it and install it properly. Clearances are also key.

I don’t really like cement fiber but I still can’t get warm and fuzzy about the LP. I have torn off a fair amount of the older stuff that failed and have seen some newer stuff getting soft at the edges too. It is painted OSB. I think it may be fine in southern climates, but freeze/thaw is hard on products.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I was trying to do some research as to what it costs for installing JH siding. One place seemed to indicate about $10 or so per square foot, and another source showed that prices for the installation can run from 75 to 200 percent of that of the material cost.

Some of the sources I looked at…..

http://home.costhelper.com/fiber-cement-siding.html

http://www.remodelingexpense.com/costs/cost-of-hardiplank-siding/

You don’t know what to believe???

I think the most common range I find seems to be in the $10 per sq foot. I assume it would be more here in Canada.

@doobie,

I take it that you’ll be hiring someone to do the siding? Why not just have some contractors come out and give an estimate? There’s no better way to get an idea of what you would pay than that.

The online estimators are inherently flawed because they don’t take into account all of the intricacies of YOUR personal home. If the siding is all cut up, it will cost more to install it, and the potential for additional waste material goes up. While the software might be a good starting place, they can only get you so far.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I take it that you’ll be hiring someone to do the siding?

No, I am doing this all myself.

Today in fact I received this stuff from JH.

Kevin.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

In that case, the cost will be much lower. Its just a bit of math and adding some waste.

What did JH send you? Install information?

Jon P.
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Looks like a bunch of homework you have to do ha. I guess that’s all the info to follow so the product will be warranted.

Clev08
    Pro

We use to install a lot of hardie siding, but now we mostly install this. Very easy to work with and looks great. We have a great local supplier that can get special orders in 2-4 days depending what day you order.
    http://www.diamondkoteprefinishing.com/Pages/Products_LapSiding.aspx

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

They have a lot of interesting tools gizmos there for all sorts of things. Very unique and specialized stuff. Never heard of this company before. My wallet may be in peril! I may be cursing your name at some point. lol!

You don’t need any of that stuff but the blade.
    Doobie If you want to know about just tag @maynard that guy has done thousands of homes with Hardie.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Doobie If you want to know about just tag @Manard that guy has done thousands of homes with Hardie.

Thanks Dirty! I’ll do that. 👍

Kevin.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Doobie If you want to know about just tag @Manard that guy has done thousands of homes with Hardie.

Thanks Dirty! I’ll do that. 👍

I just did the edit and got his name right.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Maynard
    Pro

Hey doobie we pretty much install like jkirk. We do side new two story homes. We worked off of pump jacks (alumapole). Three man crews. One cut man and two hangers. Siding gun with 6d and 8d coil nails. Tyvek house wrap moist stop aroundthe windows (all put on according to specs and the developers hire a company that inspects our workmanship but they don’t inspect every house so we continue on whether they are there or not. Flash the joints with tyvek and all joints are caulked. We blinded nailed a few homes a few years ago but the icynene pushed it out. Problems big time. Cost to send a crew back to renail the whole house. We also switched to the hardie trim from the miratec.Heavier. The best blade so far the Diablo 7 1/4 blade. Used the Hitachi for many years. Doesn’t s scream as loud, finer cuts also. Make sure you wear a proper rated respirator-n95. We have a dust collecting vaccum. Ask your hardie supplier about the Roan tools dust collecting saw. Hope this helps alittle

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Hey doobie we pretty much install like jkirk. We do side new two story homes. We worked off of pump jacks (alumapole). Three man crews. One cut man and two hangers. Siding gun with 6d and 8d coil nails. Tyvek house wrap moist stop aroundthe windows (all put on according to specs and the developers hire a company that inspects our workmanship but they don’t inspect every house so we continue on whether they are there or not. Flash the joints with tyvek and all joints are caulked. We blinded nailed a few homes a few years ago but the icynene pushed it out. Problems big time. Cost to send a crew back to renail the whole house. We also switched to the hardie trim from the miratec.Heavier. The best blade so far the Diablo 7 1/4 blade. Used the Hitachi for many years. Doesn’t s scream as loud, finer cuts also. Make sure you wear a proper rated respirator-n95. We have a dust collecting vaccum. Ask your hardie supplier about the Roan tools dust collecting saw. Hope this helps alittle

Thanks very much for chiming in @maynard. Much appreciated.

That Alum-A-Pole is giving me an idea on how to deal with a side of a structure where I can’t position scaffolding because of a fence, but it’s something that will involve me building a similar contraption as it would be for a one time use only.

http://www.alumapole.com/alumapolemain.html

Thanks again Maynard and Dirty!

Kevin.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.371 seconds