dcsimg

IWK Children's Hospital Woodshop

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 920 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

Just wanted to update everyone on the recent donations to the IWKwoodshop account. There have been several donations recently and the new account total is 242,905 points! I won’t publicly announce who the donors were since the trend lately has been back to being more anonymous but a huge thanks to all those that have contributed! All of the donation history is available on the points history for the IWKwoodshop account too. I’m thinking that for the new year a ROS65 sander as well as another 12V starter kit for the FL12 lights would be a huge help. There may be more router related needs as well for the template system for the chairs as it continues to develop so there will be more points left over for that. Thanks to all the help from BTP and Bosch, the IWK shop has been able to step up to the next level for what we are able to produce and how fast we are able to produce it. Thanks again to all!

Dan

danpattison.com

woodman_412

I just logged into the IWK account and noticed that there was a Christmas donation from BTP. A huge thanks to @bethepro for yet another generous donation!

We’ll be back in the IWK shop this coming Tuesday night after the break for the holidays. I’m going to go through all the new gear with the volunteers and give a run down on how to use everything. I’ll have a chat with everyone on Tuesday to see what their thoughts are but I’m thinking that an ROS65 and another 12V starter kit would be good additions to the shop. The FL12s have been getting a lot of use so some extra batteries would be a big help. Thanks to everyone’s generous donations we have enough points for both of those items plus more.

Dan

danpattison.com

woodman_412

We were back in the IWK shop last night with both the Monday and Tuesday night crews. I spent most of the evening giving an information session about all of the new donated tools and how they work. I also gave everyone a rundown on the direction I’ve been going with the new template system so that they have an understanding of where things are going with that. Everyone found the information and demonstrations very helpful and said they have a much better understanding of all the new gear. There were also a few questions about BTP and how it all works so I filled them in on that as well. I was hoping to get a group shot last night with all the volunteers and the new tools but people left too fast when we were done so it didn’t happen. I’ll try and get a pic next time. All the donated gear has really taken things to the next level in the IWK shop and everyone was very excited about moving forward with it on new projects. Thanks again to everyone that has contributed and made this possible!

Dan

danpattison.com

This is great to hear @woodman_412. Sounds like everyone is energized and ready to rock. It is neat that so many pitched in.

woodman_412

I just put in a request yesterday for some additional gear for the IWK shop. The list of new stuff on the way includes a 12V starter kit, ROS65 6″ sander, 5″ backing pad and 25 pack of 120 grit sanding discs. Jim has it all on order now so we should be getting it in the shop before long. Thanks again to everyone that made the donations to make these new tools possible!

Dan

danpattison.com

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Alright Dan,
    More tools to make the woodshop run smoother (pun intended) 😀

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Dan, good to hear your shop is getting back to normal. It must be a pleasure for you to see such enthusiasm.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

@woodman_412 good to hear about the new tools helping out, thanks for all the updates,

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I just put in a request yesterday for some additional gear for the IWK shop. The list of new stuff on the way includes a 12V starter kit, ROS65 6″ sander, 5″ backing pad and 25 pack of 120 grit sanding discs. Jim has it all on order now so we should be getting it in the shop before long. Thanks again to everyone that made the donations to make these new tools possible!

That’s awesome Dan. I know the crew will get good use of the new goodies.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Thats great! Those are great choices!

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wow your really have that shop in full swing. I remember when you first started and it’s amazing how far it has come. Your a good man sir, keep up the amazing work!

A Working Pro since 2004

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Great work Dan! Such an amazing progression. I will be making a donation soon as I need to get in on this great story besides just reading about it. Love the updates and pictures of the newest happenings. How far do you think this shop can go? Can/will it ever reach a point where things that are made could be donated to other groups/places that are in need or is there enough demand just from the childrens hospital?

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

woodman_412

Great work Dan! Such an amazing progression. I will be making a donation soon as I need to get in on this great story besides just reading about it. Love the updates and pictures of the newest happenings. How far do you think this shop can go? Can/will it ever reach a point where things that are made could be donated to other groups/places that are in need or is there enough demand just from the childrens hospital?

We would need a bigger volunteer team to go beyond the IWK hospital Jim. I don’t think we would ever go beyond since the IWK serves all the Atlantic provinces so anyone that is in need of what we make in the surrounding area would be at the IWK anyway. Right now with the team that we have of volunteers we do well to keep up with the orders that we get. Things should speed up quite a bit though too once the new template system is in action.

I didn’t go in to the IWK tonight since I’m going to try and go every two weeks now. It’s a much longer drive than it used to be since we moved so on the weeks that I don’t go I’ll work on my current project in my own shop. I made some progress tonight on the templates. I got the template for the legs made and just need to drill out the holes for the adjustable height hardware. I sketched out what I need for a jig to make a dado and hardware holes in the chair sides. The templates for the chair sides are done now. When the new system is done it will make everything very quick and consistent when making the adjustable chairs.

Dan

danpattison.com

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

It’s a much longer drive than it used to be since we moved so on the weeks that I don’t go I’ll work on my current project in my own shop. I made some progress tonight on the templates.

Dedication?
    So even though you didn’t go in, you still had time to make templates, from home?

— Glenn Botting

woodman_412

I was in to the IWK shop last night and have some update photos. There have been a batch of step stools made and were in the process of getting sanded and a coat of clear finish applied last night. I got more work done on the template system and got some things figured out for it. I also picked up a Kreg clamp from Lee Valley for the shop to use with the new Kreg jig as well as general clamping. There’s also a pic of a commercially made chair to give you an idea of generally what we are working towards with the new template system. The new dust extractor is such a huge help in keeping the dust down when sanding all of these projects!

Dan

danpattison.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That chair looks like it will offer a huge amount of flexibility.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

you can definitely build that chair in the shop with all the tools the shop has in there.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

There’s also a pic of a commercially made chair to give you an idea of generally what we are working towards with the new template system.

Should be quite easy to make templates for that chair.
    Good to see that the dust extractor is a big help in keeping down the dust.

— Glenn Botting

@woodman_412 wow, something very special you and the other volunteers are doing, so that’s the chair you will be duplicating? , looks like it will be very practical, thanks for the update Dan, keep up the great work

woodman_412

woodman_412 wow, something very special you and the other volunteers are doing, so that’s the chair you will be duplicating? , looks like it will be very practical, thanks for the update Dan, keep up the great work

That’s not the chair that we’re duplicating exactly Brian but it’s similar. The new templates that I’m working on are based on the existing chair design that we’ve been using for quite some time but with some refinements and slight changes. The goal is to make everything uniform and repeatable through every step of the process.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 920 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.364 seconds