dcsimg

It's Official– Rikon/Lee Valley

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author

I was just at leevalley’s yesterday and noticed the nice new rikon gear they have set up on the floor. The rikon is like 1300 canadian, for that price i’d throw in a few more bucks and get the laguna 14 12. I think they might of priced themselves a little high.

Man you guys up north get the shaft on pricing. The Rikon sells for $1000 here. And Woodcraft has the 14-12 on sale 10% off right now $987.30

Thats about the same when you factor the exchange rate
    Really miss parity. Hope to see it back with the pipeline going ahead.

Doobie

I was just at leevalley’s yesterday and noticed the nice new rikon gear they have set up on the floor. The rikon is like 1300 canadian, for that price i’d throw in a few more bucks and get the laguna 14 12. I think they might of priced themselves a little high.

The 14-12 is definitely the one I would get

The Laguna is a one year warranty versus a five year warranty on the Rikon. The Laguna is made in Taiwan. Anybody know where the Rikon is made? I dunno.

I’ve never been a big fan of Laguna due to their long history of extremely poor customer service. That alone keeps me away from that brand although I am being tempted by one of their CNC machines possibly, but that is also due to the limited offerings in CNC machines up here in Canada.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Man you guys up north get the shaft on pricing. The Rikon sells for $1000 here. And Woodcraft has the 14-12 on sale 10% off right now $987.30

Yup it seems like we get shafted on the pricing on everything.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Honestly Rikon has included 110 volt outlet for a task light. But for $1300.00 they couldn’t include a light. The first bandsaw I bought was 9 inch Ryobi which has task light. The best feature of the saw. The rest was no good.

Greg

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Honestly Rikon has included 110 volt outlet for a task light. But for $1300.00 they couldn’t include a light. The first bandsaw I bought was 9 inch Ryobi which has task light. The best feature of the saw. The rest was no good.

The Laguna 14-12 has a 110V outlet also. But you must purchase the light separately. Oh and the 14-12 doesn’t come with a blade ether.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Really I would hate to see what they would cost if all was included. I guess I don’t feel bad paying $90.00 for my 12inch 2300 Beaver with a task light or the 110 outlet. I may have add those.

Greg

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/vpxc4QawByQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

my powermatic even came with the whole light set up. I can’t remember but another company makes the exact same bandsaw as rikon.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

my powermatic even came with the whole light set up. I can’t remember but another company makes the exact same bandsaw as rikon.

Craftsman has a copy of the smaller 14″ Rikon.

Ron

Craftsman has a copy of the smaller 14″ Rikon.

Shame that Sears Canada doesn’t sell Craftsman besides the small handheld stuff

They also sell a clone of the Rikon 10 inch benchtop, that is supposed to be a lot better than the 9 inch models everyone else sells a clone of

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/vpxc4QawByQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Did you buy you Powermatic new?

Greg

Doobie

Yup it seems like we get shafted on the pricing on everything.

It’s largely related to the exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and the Greenback. Right now it’s about 30% more in our Canadian dollars to match the US price.

So considering the Rikon is priced here around the same price it is in the US is actually a good price up here. It’s when our prices are significantly more than the exchange rate is when we start to truly be getting the shaft.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

My Rikon 14″ came with the light but in reviews I has seen that the flexible arm on the light was considered to short which I would have to agree with.

I can attest for their customer service, within a couple weeks, mine broke a tire and they sent me a new one. I ws putting it on the way they said to and the new one broke. I called them and they sent a new one with different instructions on how to install it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/vpxc4QawByQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

no, i lucked out and found it on kijiji, poor guy was separating from his gf and was moving in to a place that had less space. He already had it set up with the riser and everything, it was great.

no, i lucked out and found it on kijiji, poor guy was separating from his gf and was moving in to a place that had less space. He already had it set up with the riser and everything, it was great.

Even without knowing what you paid, that has to be one of the best grabs around

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I see. It sounds like a sweet deal.

Greg

Doobie

My Rikon 14″ came with the light but in reviews I has seen that the flexible arm on the light was considered to short which I would have to agree with.

I can attest for their customer service, within a couple weeks, mine broke a tire and they sent me a new one. I ws putting it on the way they said to and the new one broke. I called them and they sent a new one with different instructions on how to install it.

I used an old discarded wall mounted light that had a swing arm and swivel head I had bought at a garage sale for a dollar and integrated it onto my bandsaw. Makes a huge diff when cutting to be able to see exactly what needs to be seen.

I have a similar repurposed light for my drill press as well.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Even without knowing what you paid, that has to be one of the best grabs around

I think I ended up paying 750 for it, it was a great deal since I think he paid like 1500 canadian for it . They guy was a furniture maker and had all the tools at work so he could part out with the bandsaw he had at home. He was going to start a shop at home then all that happened.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I used an old discarded wall mounted light that had a swing arm and swivel head I had bought at a garage sale for a dollar and integrated it onto my bandsaw. Makes a huge diff when cutting to be able to see exactly what needs to be seen.

I have a similar repurposed light for my drill press as well.

I’m going to do something similar. Can’t see paying $100 for the light for my Laguna.

Ron

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.418 seconds