dcsimg

It's Official– Rikon/Lee Valley

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

But a 13 inch inch resaw would be sweet.

I checked for side flex, and it wasn’t super sturdy solid. There was some flex to it, but I didn’t double check whether it was clamped/screwed down to what it should be.

I heard we had a Rockler in the Toronto area. There website says that too.

I can’t find that on their website nor have I heard that they did. Do you have a link possibly to that info you could post?

I’m not sure I overly care frankly. My impression of Rockler is not overly favorable from what I’ve digested over the years reading about what Americans have had in their experiences with them. I myself have never been to one of their stores when visiting the states.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

But a 13 inch inch resaw would be sweet.

I checked for side flex, and it wasn’t super sturdy solid. There was some flex to it, but I didn’t double check whether it was clamped/screwed down to what it should be.

I heard we had a Rockler in the Toronto area. There website says that too.

I can’t find that on their website nor have I heard that they did. Do you have a link possibly to that info you could post?

I’m not sure I overly care frankly. My impression of Rockler is not overly favorable from what I’ve digested over the years reading about what Americans have had in their experiences with them. I myself have never been to one of their stores when visiting the states.

I have never been to there stores either. I have saw some of the You Tubers I watch have got free stuff from Rockler. I also know Elite Tools in Quebec sell a few Rocker items.
    Here is the Rockler store in Toronto. I don’t know much about it. This link was sent me.

http://www.rockler.com/retail/stores/ca/ontario-store

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

This is the guy, from what I have heard, to listen to when setting up a bandsaw. (note the cool magnetic fence right at the beginning)

There should be no drift if the saw is set up right from what I understand.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

This is the guy, from what I have heard, to listen to when setting up a bandsaw. (note the cool magnetic fence right at the beginning)

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/wGbZqWac0jU?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I forgot all about this video. I have watched it a few times over the years. The magnetic fence looks pretty nice. Most likely not too cheap.

Greg

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/wGbZqWac0jU?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Yah I followed this when I set up the exact same bandsaw in the video, it works great. it takes a few times to get it just right, but once you do it is very easy to get perfect cuts.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Yes I must give a try on my bandsaws. Yeah he makes it look easy. It is interesting what he said.

Greg

There werent any set up yesterday at the Ottawa store – for the best, I probably would have left with one….

Doobie

This is the guy, from what I have heard, to listen to when setting up a bandsaw.

That’s a good video. Didn’t see it all the way thru, but I’d never seen it before. Thanks for posting it.

(note the cool magnetic fence right at the beginning)

That is neat. LV sells something similar made by MagSwitch.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=66980&cat=1,240,66980

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That is neat. LV sells something similar made by MagSwitch.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=66980&cat=1,240,66980

This mag switch looks like pretty handy device. Lots of attachments. May put this on the wishlist.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks for putting this up, Jim, he’s the boss when learning how to set up a bandsaw. I have watched this video at least half a dozen times and there’s still something new to learn.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/wGbZqWac0jU?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Thanks for putting this up, Jim, he’s the boss when learning how to set up a bandsaw. I have watched this video at least half a dozen times and there’s still something new to learn.

Oh, you’re welcome. It’s funny how that video sticks in my mind yet I don’t even own a band saw……well, until the wood show when you and Allen buy me one for my birthday….lol.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@JimDaddyO If you are wanting a band saw keep a eye on Kijiji you might find a deal. The 2 bandsaws I own I bought for less the $100.00. They are out there. Both bandsaw were working condition. They needed alittle work.

Greg

@jimdaddyo If you are wanting a band saw keep a eye on Kijiji you might find a deal. The 2 bandsaws I own I bought for less the $100.00. They are out there. Both bandsaw were working condition. They needed alittle work.

I could do that, likely will, but until then I want to torture Peter a while longer…lol.

This is a pretty good video – great tips on set-up. I need to try one of those snakes…pretty cool.

I think that some blades can have drift – it is with sharpening. That has been my experience with them.

Orange County, CA

Doobie

This mag switch looks like pretty handy device. Lots of attachments. May put this on the wishlist.

I have a real old version of a MagSwitch table saw featherboards. Thing is, I’ve rarely ever used them. I wouldn’t mind the fence for my drill press though. Never did make or buy one yet, and if I’m not mistaken, I think their prices came down from the last time I looked at that stuff a long time ago.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I still reference that video from the first time I seen it posted on BTP.
    I followed along after installing the 6″ riser. Lots of great information in there.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@jimdaddyo If you are wanting a band saw keep a eye on Kijiji you might find a deal. The 2 bandsaws I own I bought for less the $100.00. They are out there. Both bandsaw were working condition. They needed alittle work.

I could do that, likely will, but until then I want to torture Peter a while longer…lol.

I guess you got have funny until you get one. Good Luck!

Greg

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I was just at leevalley’s yesterday and noticed the nice new rikon gear they have set up on the floor. The rikon is like 1300 canadian, for that price i’d throw in a few more bucks and get the laguna 14 12. I think they might of priced themselves a little high.

I was just at leevalley’s yesterday and noticed the nice new rikon gear they have set up on the floor. The rikon is like 1300 canadian, for that price i’d throw in a few more bucks and get the laguna 14 12. I think they might of priced themselves a little high.

The 14-12 is definitely the one I would get

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Man you guys up north get the shaft on pricing. The Rikon sells for $1000 here. And Woodcraft has the 14-12 on sale 10% off right now $987.30

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.464 seconds