dcsimg

It's all about the $$$$ :-)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Here are a few custom things I did . Every now and then someone is willing to pay for a good product.

Ron, that’s some pretty nice work.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Very nice work, Ron.
    One of the trends I’ve noticed recently is a proliferation of, hmmm, “maker+folk+artsy” woodworking. I think the demographic attracted to it is mostly younger and urban. They have money to spend, don’t know how to make things themselves but are intrigued by the process of creating, and want something that doesn’t come from a mainstream store. Pieces are mostly repurposed materials assembled in a very basic manner. Some sort of artistic philosophy by the builder and the retailer seems to be part of the deal. Most of it has no appeal for me. It may rebuild, over time, a market for handcrafted woodwork if the current buyers are truly interested in the craft aspect. This new store in Ottawa sells the type of work I’m talking about:
    http://www.makerhouse.co/password
    I saw some beautiful furniture made from salvaged and new wood combined with repurposed industrial metal parts when I was in Seattle a few years ago. Can’t find the pics now but will post them if I do.

It’s a trend that has momentum, and is therefore probably easier to market than the type of work Ron showed.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Yes sir…regardless of the price point, I try to over deliver

Yes, always under promise and over deliver. Nobody likes feeling they got the short end of the stick and giving something away for nothing or next to it, no matter how small, earns a lot of good graces.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Great discussion. To me the joy in working with wood is making something that is quality. Otherwise, why do it? I believe you stated this was a secondary income Brad so you don’t absolutely have to rely on it. Make what you want and enjoy the heck out of making it. Make sure you are not doing it for free but at the same time if one is only concerned with how much money they are going to make, the enjoyment goes away.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Yes, always under promise and over deliver. Nobody likes feeling they got the short end of the stick and giving something away for nothing or next to it, no matter how small, earns a lot of good graces.

Sand bag. I live by that 🙂 Even with these benches. The customer gave me pretty much the freedom to do what I wanted. And honestly they where expecting a much simpler design. That’s not to say it would be less work, but def simple. It’s why they wanted a second….

Here are the pair awaiting paint tomorrow. Altogether I am going to have 5 hours into them. So not getting rich, but paying the bills. And I enjoyed doing them. I’m trying to run on that “maker+folk+artsy” woodworking. It suits me. And Our life style. As crazy as this sounds, but when the clients came into my shop, saw it’s layout and tools, heard the jazz playing on CBC radio2 and smelled the cedar in the air, they would have paid double. I think it’s a first good project for me. I think OA said it, sell myself, the rest will work itself out.

IMG_3311 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Sand bag. I live by that :-) Even with these benches. The customer gave me pretty much the freedom to do what I wanted. And honestly they where expecting a much simpler design. That’s not to say it would be less work, but def simple. It’s why they wanted a second….

Here are the pair awaiting paint tomorrow. Altogether I am going to have 5 hours into them. So not getting rich, but paying the bills. And I enjoyed doing them. I’m trying to run on that “maker+folk+artsy” woodworking. It suits me. And Our life style. As crazy as this sounds, but when the clients came into my shop, saw it’s layout and tools, heard the jazz playing on CBC radio2 and smelled the cedar in the air, they would have paid double. I think it’s a first good project for me. I think OA said it, sell myself, the rest will work itself out.

with the hipsters its all about selling the lifestyle, they probably take one look at you and your shop and think to themselves wow it is a deal, this is the real deal . This guy is almost like a mennonite lol

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

My Father in Law used to do some work for “high end” clients. He always said he estimated a decent profit and then charged 5x that for them. It is much better to be selling to the upper crust. Folks who are worrying about making their kids tuition or about a downturn in the economy “might” affect their job are more cautious about buying things. High end clients just know they want something and are willing to pay for it. Once you have their trust, and continue with giving them quality, it just goes from there.

I also worked for a lady who once told me that the richer they are, the less they can do for themselves. Which, I think, is pretty much true.

Bottom line is, if you want to make money, sell to people who have it. I do a bit of work fairly cheap around the neighbourhood. Just to cover my costs. sometimes I make a little bit, other times I do a favour.

The plan for the shop is to build really good things that I am interested in building. There is a shop in the next town over that sells locally made items and will rent you a space for $40/month. They take care of the sales and manning the store. I am hoping to make some pieces to display there. I want a good mixture of things at various prices first though. None will be “cheap” but they will be made well and some will be smaller more affordable items. All of them will have my name on them though, so they will all have to be up the standard that I will be proud to put my name on them.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Sand bag. I live by that :-) Even with these benches. The customer gave me pretty much the freedom to do what I wanted. And honestly they where expecting a much simpler design. That’s not to say it would be less work, but def simple. It’s why they wanted a second….

Good observations, Brad. The mood of the workspace does have an impact, for sure. It conveys the authority you have with your work and the value of it. No one will question your price when you present it in your shop.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My Father in Law used to do some work for “high end” clients. He always said he estimated a decent profit and then charged 5x that for them. It is much better to be selling to the upper crust. Folks who are worrying about making their kids tuition or about a downturn in the economy “might” affect their job are more cautious about buying things. High end clients just know they want something and are willing to pay for it. Once you have their trust, and continue with giving them quality, it just goes from there.

I also worked for a lady who once told me that the richer they are, the less they can do for themselves. Which, I think, is pretty much true.

Bottom line is, if you want to make money, sell to people who have it. I do a bit of work fairly cheap around the neighbourhood. Just to cover my costs. sometimes I make a little bit, other times I do a favour.

The plan for the shop is to build really good things that I am interested in building. There is a shop in the next town over that sells locally made items and will rent you a space for $40/month. They take care of the sales and manning the store. I am hoping to make some pieces to display there. I want a good mixture of things at various prices first though. None will be “cheap” but they will be made well and some will be smaller more affordable items. All of them will have my name on them though, so they will all have to be up the standard that I will be proud to put my name on them.

This is all so true. We paid our dues with the small wood decks, customers that had to watch their budgets, and questioned any cost in my estimates. In the past 2 years, the clientele has completely turned around. I pulled off a couple of big jobs by a miracle, and since, I’ve been booked by a more high end customer. Even though, I don’t have to rush so much anymore….I don’t have to build ten decks to get to 50K, I can just build one now to get that payday. But, what Jim said about the rich lady is true. I do have to work more for the richer clients…they truly can’t make decisions for themselves. I do the shopping for them so to speak, and they trust what I tell them, or show them. On my current covered deck, the husband did ask me to not talk to his wife anymore 🙂 I could’ve sold her the grass off her front lawn.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I had a woman rip me to shreds over a 15 dollar charge on my bill- I finally was able to explain it to her so she felt okay about paying me.
    The next day on the job i noticed that she was not there and I asked the housekeeper when she would return. She said, “She won’t be back till late tonight, she took her friends on a private plane to the beach (Miami) for a birthday lunch”.
    Here’s what I learned- It is easier to sell a 100K dollar job than a small one, because people can’t put the higher numbers into perspective.
    She knew what $15 was worth, she had no idea what it took to make 100K.
    (That plane trip would have cost about 12K)

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sweet toy train Brad…and the benches look nice too!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i totally agree with this, and think this is the way to go. If people know your ability and skill level, they are willing to pay more. Besides you don’t want those lowballers to come tire kicking so you just price it out of their range. The rich know they want to spend that much so they can impress their friends.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

The plan for the shop is to build really good things that I am interested in building. There is a shop in the next town over that sells locally made items and will rent you a space for $40/month. They take care of the sales and manning the store. I am hoping to make some pieces to display there.

Peter, this sounds like a great opportunity to get your work out there. You have shown us that your work is top notch and would have no problems selling it.
    Good Luck.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

The plan for the shop is to build really good things that I am interested in building. There is a shop in the next town over that sells locally made items and will rent you a space for $40/month. They take care of the sales and manning the store. I am hoping to make some pieces to display there.

Peter, this sounds like a great opportunity to get your work out there. You have shown us that your work is top notch and would have no problems selling it.
    Good Luck.

Jim……lol

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

The quality of work presented on this site is top notch. None of you should be under selling yourselves.
    Brad, I think it’s true that people buy who the maker/craftsperson is as much as what s/he produces. Bringing prospects to your shop is a great way for them to get a sense of who you are. That was also noted in the thread about Dan’s old shop.

yellaD
    Pro

The quality of work presented on this site is top notch. None of you should be under selling yourselves.
    Brad, I think it’s true that people buy who the maker/craftsperson is as much as what s/he produces. Bringing prospects to your shop is a great way for them to get a sense of who you are. That was also noted in the thread about Dan’s old shop.

YES! If clients saw some of the shops I see on here, they’d be very impressed. It’s all part of the package for “branding” yourself.

The_Grizz
    Pro
    Rome, GA

I’m sure I do different type of work than most of the replies on here (I don’t have a money making “shop”), I do all of my work at the customer’s house, but I came to my current pricing structure after about a year of under charging and over delivering. I sat down and looked at the little stuff that I would just throw in, like caulk and anchors and screws, without formally charging for that specific item, and looked at all the tools that I brought to every job and what I had invested in them and got to where I am today.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I bet she brings baking or perogies over this week.

The perogies sound good for the repair on the chair. 🙂

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I bet she brings baking or perogies over this week.

The perogies sound good for the repair on the chair. :-)

She brought cabbage rolls and buns. Like 6 dozen buns…. 🙂

Thanks for all the great advice. I thought I would post up the finished product. The pictures don’t do the tops justice. They are beautiful.

IMG_3320 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

@thedude306, wow they look great , love the color , good luck on your future buisness

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.441 seconds