dcsimg

Issue after insulation basement

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

My guess would be the foam insulation board you glued to the wall. It is trapping moisture in that was previously was able to evaporate.

my thought as well, only other thought would be bottom plate fasteners allowing water to come through the floor, but i would lean more towards above

@crotalusco
    Another good thought.
    If Jonathan’s home is on a high water table this can be a cause of the issue also.
    I live in an area where the table is high and when my neighbour finished his basement the water table was actually higher than the slab when he opened it up.

@themagicone
    As kevin mentions and I mentioned previously.
    Do you have a sill plate gasket in place?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well right now I am thinking just doing a 2 to 3″ spray of closed cell foam over everything. Including the rimjoist. This will basically seal the foam board to the concrete.

and leave a space between the foam board and the concrete where moisture will collect and have no where to drain. Big bowl of not good. Strip off the foam board and put the foam directly on the concrete.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Well right now I am thinking just doing a 2 to 3″ spray of closed cell foam over everything. Including the rimjoist. This will basically seal the foam board to the concrete.

and leave a space between the foam board and the concrete where moisture will collect and have no where to drain. Big bowl of not good. Strip off the foam board and put the foam directly on the concrete.

I don’t think he’s listening. Has basically been advised of such already a few times, but just likely doesn’t want to redo the work and is trying to convince himself it’s OK anyways as is to go forward.

How is the drainage around the basement walls . Later one it’s a commons mistake after basements are finished and the leader drops all the water at edge of wall cause leaks in future .

Always willing to learn .

No, I fully understand what everyone is saying. But my first thought was we were having water issues. That proved to not be the case. It was just wet lumber drying out.

In reality this basement is only a half basement – 2 to 3 feet are above ground. So I don’t have ground water to worry about.

If I can run the dryer and get it nice and steamy in there, then not see a drop on the walls, the foam or anywhere I think we are good. There is no AC to cool the place in the summer so not worried about then.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

keko
    Pro

I live in Wisconsin where we have the same weather here we insulate the outside foundation wall 1 inch 8 feet down 2 inches 4 feet down because after about 50 inches down the ground temp remains the same year round the way I do basement walls is measure out 4 1/2 inches from the foundation wall use a green treated bottom plate put your wall up that way there is a 1 inch air space behind the wall insulate with your choice do not use plastic the air space will allow the foundation wall to still breathe make sure the insulation does not touch the foundation wall I have ben doing this way for 27 years never a call back but I would take the foam off the inside wall anyway because you are just trapping moisture.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

That proved to not be the case. It was just wet lumber drying out.

Don’t want to beat a dead horse here but…puddled water from wet lumber drying out? When lumber dries the moisture (for the most part) simply evaporates into the air – not gush out like a squeezed sponge. I still have to believe that the issue you had was caused by moisture trapped between the insulation and the block wall.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Uhh I don’t think so. Trust us lumber drying out will not leave moisture puddles on the floor.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Uhh I don’t think so. Trust us lumber drying out will not leave moisture puddles on the floor.

Don’t want to beat a dead horse here but…puddled water from wet lumber drying out? When lumber dries the moisture (for the most part) simply evaporates into the air – not gush out like a squeezed sponge. I still have to believe that the issue you had was caused by moisture trapped between the insulation and the block wall.

Maybe he used some of those reclaimed river logs? 😉

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

What is the update on this project. I m gonna do 2 bsement myself and i thing best way to get redy the issue is foam insultion but forst you need to 100%sure no water comes from the walls use membrane type of waterflooring you could suspend 1000$ and youll be sure no water will ever come from the walls. Foam insulation also traps moisture overtime so making the basement fully sealed should be done first then foam

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

We haven’t seen any more dampness since the 23rd of December. It wasn’t that much water. I have finished framing all the walls and have no more signs of moisture. So I think we are good.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Don’t want to beat a dead horse here but…puddled water from wet lumber drying out?

I guess the wood is dry if the puddles stopped…

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.481 seconds