dcsimg

Is this mold behind the wall?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I need some advice on mold. I will be making a few successive posts because I can only embed one picture per post until the site is fixed.

I also see another mold related thread on BTP dating back to 2013 here:

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/black-mold-behind-shower-wall/page/3/#post-739485

I made an opening on a kitchen wall (behind the dishwasher) where the sink vent is in order to lower the trap arm to accommodate a disposer properly.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes, it’s mold.. Most of the time behind the dishwasher in the wall is mold. Seems to be a wet spot in most older kitchens.
    We remover drywall, bleach let dry and then spray heavily with mold killer.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Yeah it does look like mold.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Upon opening the wall (cement board) I see a vertical crack that’s leaking water down the old cast iron below the sanitary tee.

No idea how long this has been going on, and I will be replacing the pipes so the source of the moisture will be gone.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

What concerns me is as I removed the wall board I saw quite a bit of flasky black spots on the wood studs. Is this mold? looks dry but I didn’t try to touch or scrap it.

I used an OMT to make the cut of the cement board, and has dust control an inch below the blade connected to a vac with a HEPA filter.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Next I went below into the crawlspace directly underneath to see what’s down there, and as suspected wood rot from the leak.

The question is what to do with the mold. I am pretty sure there are mold down there. Smells musky – but most crawlspaces are. Above where the kitchen studs are exposed I do not smell anything but that black spots I am guessing is mold?

Any advice? Should I spray them with Concrobium – leave to dry and repeat? I understand bleach do not work, I have seen some suggested vinegar + borax + baking soda. I have a few jugs of Concrobium around. How about from below?

Should I get a mold test? Those DIY mold test kits? I thought about getting a mold test pro out but I hired two before during other real estate transactions, they came in with their test kits and collected samples and left and results sent in by email in 3 days, for $500 is this basically the same as the DIY mold kits?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Yes, it’s mold.. Most of the time behind the dishwasher in the wall is mold. Seems to be a wet spot in most older kitchens.
    We remover drywa

What kind of mold killer do you use?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Bleach does kill the mold so you aren’t exposed to live mold. Bleach does not kill the spores that new mold will come from. We use what ever mold killer the nearest hardware store is selling.
    https://moldpedia.com/mold-removal

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Bleach does not kill the spores that new mold will come from.

Did not know that, Thank you for the tip DWB.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.343 seconds