dcsimg

Is there many wood turners or threads on here

• This topic has 51 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by r-ice.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author

I am an occasional turner. Mostly turn stuff when I need it for a project. Such as I turned a bunch of drawer knobs for my router table cabinet. I have turned some ornaments and pens.

The one thing with turning is that to get started, it can be fairly expensive.

Mike Mader

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am an occasional turner. Mostly turn stuff when I need it for a project. Such as I turned a bunch of drawer knobs for my router table cabinet. I have turned some ornaments and pens.

ahh it can be expensive if you buy top of the line stuff. You can get away with just regular midi table, and regular chisels you sharpen yourself.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

LOL Too true! I have found turning to be like a drug; very habit forming and very costly. I have owned several lathes and ended up selling them all. There is too much other woodworking I need to focus on first.

Perhaps one day the bug will really bite.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

I do some turning from time to time , like Mike I turn mostly for projects or shop tools . When I first started turning I did the pen thing then got into bowls . Bowls for me are by far the most fun to do .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I do some turning from time to time , like Mike I turn mostly for projects or shop tools . When I first started turning I did the pen thing then got into bowls . Bowls for me are by far the most fun to do .

I’ve never done bowls, whats the setup required for this. I have ton alot of pens and am definitely bored of doing pens now lol.

I’ve never done bowls, whats the setup required for this

You need an appropriately sized face plate and adjustable jaw chuck along with the proper bowl gouges or carbide tipped tools. Bowl gouges are sturdier than spindle gouges. Scrapers help with the interior. A bowl definitely takes longer than a pen. Green wood turns easier but you have to leave it thick and then age in a bag of shavings for 6 months or longer to let it dry out before your final turning to true it up. Give it a whirl r-ice. You could easily get addicted to it.

Bowls are fun to turn. PI Woodworker covered the tools well. One thing to add about green wood, if you keep your eye out, you can get it free! If you know of neighbor cutting down a tree, or see some RECENTLY cut logs, they are a great source of wood for turning.

Also, a face shield is an ABSOLUTE must when turning bowls (should always wear one any way).

Mike Mader

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

You need an appropriately sized face plate and adjustable jaw chuck along with the proper bowl gouges or carbide tipped tools. Bowl gouges are sturdier than spindle gouges. Scrapers help with the interior. A bowl definitely takes longer than a pen. Green wood turns easier but you have to leave it thick and then age in a bag of shavings for 6 months or longer to let it dry out before your final turning to true it up. Give it a whirl r-ice. You could easily get addicted to it.

I do have an adjustable jaw chuck i bought a while ago but i guess i’ll need some bowl gouges and scrapers. hmm.. and access to green wood is going to be pretty easy with @utopia78 around.

Bowls are fun to turn. PI Woodworker covered the tools well. One thing to add about green wood, if you keep your eye out, you can get it free! If you know of neighbor cutting down a tree, or see some RECENTLY cut logs, they are a great source of wood for turning.

Also, a face shield is an ABSOLUTE must when turning bowls (should always wear one any way).

yah i should pick up a nicer full face shield for this.

Depending on the piece of wood, you can actually get wet.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I do have an adjustable jaw chuck i bought a while ago but i guess i’ll need some bowl gouges and scrapers. hmm.. and access to green wood is going to be pretty easy with @utopia78 around.

OK now I have to stop reading this thread or spend some money. LOL Turning is truly an addictive thing.

Some really good information here.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/wnv0DAR_gWA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    <figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/FTRzDfWzg5Y?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

yah i picked up the wolverine grinding jig from lee valleys too, its a great jig to help you sharpen your gouges. However i ended up switching to carbide bits and haven’t touched my ss gouges in a while lol.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.484 seconds