dcsimg

Is there many wood turners or threads on here

• This topic has 51 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by r-ice.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    The_Grizz
    Pro
    Rome, GA

I’ve got a customer that wants me to custom make a rustic console table, so I might find an opportunity to use mine soon.

I have a little midi lathe that I dabble with, but nothing serious, however I am interested in what others are doing.

Will

woodman_412

woodman_412,
    Dan has shown us what he can do turning wood. He did a really nice side table that was just gorgeous.

Thanks Frank. I’m really not much of a turner though. I used my duplicator on that project and very rarely use my lathe anymore. I didn’t bother setting it up in my new shop since it doesn’t get used often enough.

Dan

danpattison.com

Hahahaha…..yeah. Didn’t think that one through. What can I say…..a boy has to have accessories!

I typically stick to sawdust myself. Adhesive residue is cool too…grease, not so much.

Speaking of turning…what does one need to get started? A lathe of course, but how do you go about choosing a decent model?

Jon, I have the Rikon Midi 70-220VSR and it’s an absolute beaut. I also started getting a few (I have three) Gasp….cough….gasp Easy Wood lathe tools. They are fantastic tools! The lathe has three belt positions and an electronic speed control. Just a great machine, love it!

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_70-220VSR.html

I do a fair amount of turning when I have time. Finished (8) bolt-action pens, a bowl and a pepper grinder this weekend. From an equipment standpoint I have a Jet midi-lathe and a Powermatic full size lathe. The Powermatic is one sweet machine. I go with Chris on the Easy Wood tools. There are a ton of videos and books on turning which can help someone get started and improve their skills. I will be happy to talk turning with anyone. Here are pics of 4 of the pens I made this weekend plus the bowl and pepper grinder.

Here are some pics of past items I have turned. The figured maple just blew me away when it was done. The figure is amazing.

Doobie

Some nice stuff there Lon. Love the mechanism on the grinder. Never seen one like that before. Where’d you get it?

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have a Jet WL-1220 that I found on Craigslist for a steal. I’d love to do more turning, but I don’t have much free time these days with two kids and my job. I have made pens before (great gifts!), as well as some handles for tools (shop and gardening tools mostly). I’d love to get into more serious turning someday. It’s very addicting.

I too got a great deal on my lathe. I just need to do alittle work to get it set up to where I would like it.I too don’t get much shop time with my work and family. I sure more shop time will come soon enough. I would like to turn handles for tools. I have some files that need handles. Plus I really like to make some bowls someday.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I do a fair amount of turning when I have time. Finished (8) bolt-action pens, a bowl and a pepper grinder this weekend. From an equipment standpoint I have a Jet midi-lathe and a Powermatic full size lathe. The Powermatic is one sweet machine. I go with Chris on the Easy Wood tools. There are a ton of videos and books on turning which can help someone get started and improve their skills. I will be happy to talk turning with anyone. Here are pics of 4 of the pens I made this weekend plus the bowl and pepper grinder.

Here are some pics of past items I have turned. The figured maple just blew me away when it was done. The figure is amazing.

I heard Easy Woods tool were good. You are right there lots of books & videos on Turning. The projects you made are really nice. Great Job! The figured maple is amazing.

Thanks for sharing

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have a special place for figured maple especially tiger striped maple. It is the most spectacular.

Flame cherry and birch are worth considering as well. Much softer effect but very pleasing to the eye.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@gtokley, if you’re only starting out, the Vally Woodturners offer beginner classes. It’s a bit of a drive but might be worth it. Or ask them about members in your area – certain there are some from Kingston.
    http://valleywoodturners.userworld.com/index.html

@whitehill I checked out the Valley Wood Turners website. I was pretty impressed with their site. The beginner classes is something I might be interested in once I get my lathe set up. The distance is alittle far. But I sure it would be worth it. A google search turned up 3 turner clubs alittle closer.

Thanks

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Well it looks like there is a Turners in this fourm. That’s great. Hopefully soon I will be another.

Greg

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

after seeing that grinder, i went to my local shop to see if i could pick one up, turns out they were all sold out. I gotta wait till they are in stock to buy em.

Some nice stuff there Lon. Love the mechanism on the grinder. Never seen one like that before. Where’d you get it?

Penn State Industries is the source @Doobie. They have a bazillion different pen kits and other turning parts. They are located in Philadelphia.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Some nice pieces of work being shown!
    Good you found some closer clubs, @gtokley. Keep an eye on the Valley Turners site, they have special events such as guest turners and an annual show.

Doobie

Penn State Industries is the source @Doobie. They have a bazillion different pen kits and other turning parts. They are located in Philadelphia.

Thanks Lon. Found their site although I couldn’t find that grind mechanism.

http://www.pennstateind.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Those are some beautiful pojects you do. I love the bowls.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

@Doobie, try this page (although they are out of stock): https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKGRIND-4B.html

@DirtyWhiteBoy, thanks Dirty. Bowls are a great project. Definitely take some time to get done. You know I love Koa and someday I will pony up enough for a bowl blank to make one out of that gorgeous wood.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thanks Lon. Found their site although I couldn’t find that grind mechanism.

http://www.pennstateind.com

there are two places near and around Toronto that sells this mechanism. I will mention penblanks.ca as they are a pleasure to deal with but i won’t mention the other place unless you really want to know and DM me.

That was my first project on a lathe as well..many years ago. Wish I still had it to show you had it turned out. I was pretty happy with it.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.497 seconds