dcsimg

Is there many wood turners or threads on here

• This topic has 51 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by r-ice.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I was just wondering if there any wood turners on here or is any Turnering threads. I need to learn more about turning. I haven’t started turning as I still to get my lathe ready.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

@chrisk1970 has a lathe and already made a couple pens

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@PI_woodworker makes pens! Probably other things as well I’d imagine.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Yessir I did! Although truthfully my last attempt was zebra wood and it splintered into a bazillion pieces 🙁

Attachments:

Oh…ignore the Kate Spade iPad cover…….it’s my wife’s!!!!! Honestly!!!!

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

you should not have mention it 😀 prolly most don’t even know what that is.
    i had to google it to find out what it is.

great pens chris

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

you should not have mention it 😀 prolly most don’t even know what that is.
    i had to google it to find out what it is.

great pens chris

Ha. BS Chris! Nice pens though!

Jon P.
    Instagram

Doobie

I was just wondering if there any wood turners on here or is any Turnering threads.

There really isn’t any turners here. Yet!

I know from being on other forums that turning is pretty addictive and is why I’ve never used yet a lathe I bought over 10 years ago. I’ve got too many other things to do before I get sucked into that vortex. 🙂

Hahahaha…..yeah. Didn’t think that one through. What can I say…..a boy has to have accessories!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

a few of us make pens and other things. I don’t do bowls but i regularly use my wood lathe, and once i get a chance to i am going to be playing with my metal lathe.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@woodman_412,
    Dan has shown us what he can do turning wood. He did a really nice side table that was just gorgeous.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Hahahaha…..yeah. Didn’t think that one through. What can I say…..a boy has to have accessories!

I typically stick to sawdust myself. Adhesive residue is cool too…grease, not so much.

Speaking of turning…what does one need to get started? A lathe of course, but how do you go about choosing a decent model?

Jon P.
    Instagram

The_Grizz
    Pro
    Rome, GA

I have a Craftsman lathe that is probably at least 40 years old. Haven’t used it too much, but probably should. My dad made me a baseball bat on it when I was playing little league. Got a decent set of Grizzly knives from a guy I used to work with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

@gtokley, if you’re only starting out, the Valley Woodturners offer beginner classes. It’s a bit of a drive but might be worth it. Or ask them about members in your area – certain there are some from Kingston.
    http://valleywoodturners.userworld.com/index.html

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I have a Jet WL-1220 that I found on Craigslist for a steal. I’d love to do more turning, but I don’t have much free time these days with two kids and my job. I have made pens before (great gifts!), as well as some handles for tools (shop and gardening tools mostly). I’d love to get into more serious turning someday. It’s very addicting.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Yessir I did! Although truthfully my last attempt was zebra wood and it splintered into a bazillion pieces :(

There are great looking pens. Was one of the reasons I got a lathe is to make pens from some of my scrap wood.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I was just wondering if there any wood turners on here or is any Turnering threads.

There really isn’t any turners here. Yet!

I know from being on other forums that turning is pretty addictive and is why
    I’ve never used yet a lathe I bought over 10 years ago. I’ve got too many other things to do before I get sucked into that vortex. :)

Yes I have saw that it can be very addictive. I know what you mean about too many things too. I bought my lathe in July 2015 and haven’t turn anything yet. But the lathe was ready to use when I but it.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I typically stick to sawdust myself. Adhesive residue is cool too…grease, not so much.

Speaking of turning…what does one need to get started? A lathe of course, but how do you go about choosing a decent model?

I like making sawdust also. But I thought turning could add something to some of projects being made while making sawdust. Plus I thought making a bowl from a block of wood would be kinda cool. Mine you I never turned wood yet so I have alot to learn.

I am not sure if I know everything about what you need for turning.

Lathe, chisels, face shield, lathe accessories 4 jaw chuck, face plate . Maybe a few books on Turning and maybe join a Turners club

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have a Craftsman lathe that is probably at least 40 years old. Haven’t used it too much, but probably should. My dad made me a baseball bat on it when I was playing little league. Got a decent set of Grizzly knives from a guy I used to work with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Beaver lathe is about 60 years old.I looking forward to using when I get done. Making a baseball bat sound like alot fun make for first project.

Greg

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I also have an old Craftsman that I have made a few upgrades to. I added stiffer rails and recently upgraded the live center. I made an Ice cream scoop for my daughter for Christmas. it was the first thing I have turned in years. I have a mallet ready to start. I just need a little tome to get to it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.525 seconds