dcsimg

Introduce Yourself V2

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    keltorak
    Pro
    Gatineau, QC

My name’s Guillaume, I now reside in the Ottawa region in Canada, though I spent most of my life in Montreal.

I got into woodworking when I got my first appartment, over 12 years ago, building furniture as needed, starting with a flexy rack for my massive tube TV.

When we were expecting our first kid, I built a changing table. We used it twice as intended, the spawn hated being changed lying down. We have used it as a dresser for the boys since, my first experience with repurposing.

I made a raised planter bed for ourselves as well as one for my mom (see attached, prior to the 2nd height of fence being installed). Guests liked it so much that I got a few commission out of it. Living in the downtown core and carpal tunnel surgery quickly made me realize that was not a viable career at the time.

When we were expecting our second kid, living in a small appartment, I figured I’d plan ahead and make a bunk bed from the get go (see picture). At first, the higher level was storage, then the oldest moved in when we were expecting our third kid.

It was built so that it would be easy to flat pack it in the case of a move. That turned out to be a great idea when we moved to the Ottawa region, although we lost our wonderful 10′ ceiling in the process of moving into a 100+ years old house, and the bunk bed wouldn’t fit. I converted it in two singles.

The house came with a 12’x18′ shed all wired up for woodworking, which is a significant improvement from having to work outside, I can now work all year round.

At this point, with our oldest starting pre-school in the fall, time is very limited to work on commissions by clients, but it gives me time to set up the shop and teach my kids how awesome woodworking can be while I ramp it up as a paying hobby. They’re my biggest “clients” now, their latest request is a play table saw, they love the quick and dirty chainsaw I made as an Evil Dead disguise last Halloween.

I plan to transition into woodworking as a second career once I retire from my federal .gov job.

I can’t wait to learn from all the members of this community!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Welcome to BTP keltorak.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello and welcome, @keltorak.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Welcome @keltorak.
    I’m always happy to see others that ‘repurpose’ good wood. I built my kid’s first bed, changed it a little as he grew, and now it’s a coffee table with storage.
    You’re off to a great start with pictures!

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Welcome to the Forum @keltorak! Your going to find a plethora of information with the Members here concerning woodworking and woodworking tools. Enjoy!

A Working Pro since 2004

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Welcome to the new members of BTP !

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

Hi keltorak. Welcome to the forum. I am new here as well.

BryanT

@keltorak welcome to BTP enjoy the forum, its a great place.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Welcome @keltorak You will find this is a great place for learning and sharing.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

@keltorak welcome to BTP enjoy the forum, its a great place.

Brian just said it all,

welcome to BTP

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Welcome to the forum, nice to see that you like to tinker. You will fit right in here.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

Hi keltorak. Welcome to the forum

monman1
    Pro

Welcome to BTP keltorak!

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

Welcome Guillaume! Lots of good people and information here.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I was thinking it was some kind of secret BTP backroom PMing society of some sort myself as I don’t recall being called out or anything like that?

Oh gossip,,,, I never heard any of it. I think you’re a great addition the the site.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Welcome keltorak, great intro and some nice stuff you built there. I think you’ll like it here.

Doobie

My name’s Guillaume, I now reside in the Ottawa region in Canada, though I spent most of my life in Montreal.

Welcome Guy! Great place here.

Doobie

I was thinking it was some kind of secret BTP backroom PMing society of some sort myself as I don’t recall being called out or anything like that?

Oh gossip,,,, I never heard any of it. I think you’re a great addition the the site.

Thanks Dirty! Your stamp of approval is about as good as it gets!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Welcome to BTP Guillaume. You will find we are friendly bunch.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

welcome @keltorak, montreal!! I LOVE montreal, my god shwatz is the place to be. Ottawa is still good, I’ve yet to visit though. My buddies are all in Montreal this weekend while I slave away. It will be great to have you here, loads of Canadians.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 1,017 total)
  • The topic ‘Introduce Yourself V2’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.197 seconds