dcsimg

Introduce Yourself V2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Let the introductions continue. I figured I would copy and paste the original opening thread here also:

“Many of you have been asking for this recently so I wanted to get this up and running as soon as possible. I’ve been very impressed with how well the forum has grown, and especially seeing the online relationships formed through the forum. Now you have a place to formally introduce yourself and welcome new members to the forum.

For new members, feel free to share as much or little as you like. I know you’ll find the Pro Forum a place where you not only can learn from other construction professionals, but also a place that encourages friendly and respectful discussions. Enjoy!”

Also, a reminder to new members to read the forum rules sticky – http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/the-rules-of-bethepro-please-read-before-posting/

And, finally, here is the link to the old thread.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/the-new-introduct-yourself-sub-forum/

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Doobie

Heck, I never did introduce myself anywhere since I’ve been here, albeit a little late in doing so. So here goes.

Hi, my name is Kevin and no, my @Doobie handle does not mean I’m a pothead. It’s a takeoff on my last name. People have been calling me Doobie since high school and my wife affectionately calls me “Dooooobie”!

I’m not in the trades, but I must admit I’ve tinkered with doing so in the past. I just love tools and building things ever since I took shop in high school for which i even elected to take double shop for a couple of years I loved it so much. Afterwards, I started watching New Yankee Workshop and I always dreamed of building my own shop like Norm worked in. When I bought my house 15 years ago, I convinced my wife of the benefits of converting our one car garage into a dedicated woodworking shop. Besides, we had two cars. Which one of us gets to park their car in the garage? Problem averted.

I am self-employed working from home in a totally unrelated field to the trades/woodworking for the past 25 years and am pretty good at what I do. I am not rich, but we’re in good financial shape. I pride myself on honest work and attention to detail in everything I do. I’m a bit of a perfectionist which can be hindering at times. I do my own renos pretty much 90% of the time, and as I mentioned, I have built a dedicated woodworking woodshop out of my one car garage which I’m very proud of.

I was reluctant to join this forum as I thought it was solely dedicated to trades persons and contractors. John Looser @carnbrook2 led me to this forum from a Canadian site and I thank him every chance I get. Thanks again John!

What I did come to discover was that ‘wannabees’, but nevertheless somewhat skilled and knowledgeable individuals like myself are indeed welcome here. And while at first one is hesitant to think that there is a lot of chatter and no value to the information here if one wanders in too many babble babble type threads, there is a great bunch of knowledgeable people in this forum and it is truly a great place to park one’s knowledge and to get reliable knowledge from others. It’s more than I can say for a lot of other forums out there I’ve been on where you get 20 different voices with 20 different solutions. I came up with something in a post yesterday that I thought nails it, ‘This forum is for sharing and not just staring’. I’m glad to have stuck around long enough that I was not a gawker but a contributor.

Welcome to newcomers reading this, and while the forum takes a while to get used to navigate around efficiently, you won’t be sorry you stuck around and that’s not just for the free tools. Free tools is only part of the thrill of being a member on this great forum. FWIW

Couple of pics of my shop. Many of you have seen these before. Yes, they do STRONGLY encourage pics and videos on this site. Personally, I have never done videos, period. Maybe one day.

Thanks to all memebers who have made me feel welcome on this great forum, and thanks to Bosch, BTP, and of course Jim for everything!

Anonymous
    Inactive

John Loser @carnbrook2 led me to this forum from a Canadian site and I thank him every chance I get.

I believe it’s “Looser”, at least technically. 🙂

Edit: You misspelled “misspelt”, below. 🙂

Doobie

John Loser @carnbrook2 led me to this forum from a Canadian site and I thank him every chance I get.

I believe it’s “Looser”, at least technically. :)

Doh! I knew that, just didn’t realize I mispelt it. Thanks Dana!

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Well, welcome Kevin. The knowledge that you have shared here has been valuable, and I appreciate it. You really gave me something to plan when we were talking about dust collection. I guess with the new thread and new people here, I can repost my little into.

Wanted to stop by and say hi. Name is Sven, grew up in Vermont, and the did a world tour with the Army. After a little over 20 years playing Soldier, I decided that I need to get a real job, so My wife and I started our own business. I install, repair, and manufacture rolling shutters to cover windows and doors now in Colorado Springs, CO (last stop with the military before getting out). Have a a typical family, and lately all my spare time has been spent working on the house and humble shop that I have. Looking forward to interactions here and learning little tips and tricks.

This place has helped me a lot during the time I have been here. From tools to simple things like wetting a finger while caulking. It’s a great place to share informaiton, that’s for sure.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wow, I didn’t know you had such a serious shop there Kevin! I could have lots of fun in there. Thanks for sharing so many pics and your setup, it’s great to see.

A Working Pro since 2004

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

This place has been invaluable to me! I learn more about my trade on site everyday but would never have built up my tool knowledge the way it is now without BTP. I’m known for constantly talking about tools and advancements with crews I work with.
    It’s like being a member of BTP is a certificate on its own. BTP Certified member 😀

A Working Pro since 2004

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Kevin, thanks for sharing that. I couldn’t have said it better! This is a truly good place for both information sharing; I mean REAL information sharing, and good friendly chat….. What a forum should be!

….and thanks to John as well for the introduction.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

GOOD POINT. nice to know..

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Welcome Doobie, It’s great to have you here. Thank for all that you contribute.
    I love your shop.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

Thanks everybody for the welcome, it’s a pleasure to be here.

Phil Green PM’d me and wanted to see some more of my overhead Excalibur dust extractor on my TS that I’ve customized somewhat with a vac hose for cleaning in and around my TS and also incorporates a platten for nick nacky items like my remote DC key FOB and pencil/measures/whatnots. . I can’t, or don’t know how to PM pics, so I thought I would post them here.

The little blue painters tape at the front of the shroud actually really helps with debris not flying out forward doing certain types of cuts.

No overhead guard is 100% unless you have a jet engine for a dust collector. This gets 90% of the crap. The added vac hose is for quicky cleanup around the area within easy reach rather than going and getting my other hose for the shop. It’s basically dedicated to that task and was spare stuff I had kicking around anyways.

I can remove the whole contraption that is built onto the big yellow cross arm in seconds as it is fastened with knobs. It weighs next to nothing and has been there for maybe 8 years or more and has never caused the arm to sag.

The overhead arm is on it’s own blast gate seperate from the below TS table dust port and the vac hose accesory is on its own blast gate as well which you can see as the little orange thingy on the far right at the base of the hose itself.

My model is an older design. I found this pic on the net that shows it better ‘naked’ than my own pics can.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.therobertstrasser.com%2Fdelta.html&ei=P7SSVZL-FsjzsAXkjIG4AQ&psig=AFQjCNG8_7RGVXLv4yG9eFbui9f6-2YR7Q&ust=1435764178829072

The newer designed ones now have a design where the whole overhead arm can much more easily swing out of the way. Excalibur (Formerly a brand made by Sommerville Industries) is now owned by General. I believe you can still buy them. Great overhead as far as I’m concerned.

http://www.general.ca/products/2_excalibur/50-EXBC.html

People interested in another overhead type should look into Shark Guard. I know a lot of guys who’ve gone that route.

http://www.thesharkguard.com/

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Thanks everybody for the welcome, it’s a pleasure to be here.

Phil Green PM’d me and wanted to see some more of my overhead Excalibur dust extractor on my TS that I’ve customized somewhat with a vac hose for cleaning in and around my TS and also incorporates a platten for nick nacky items like my remote DC key FOB and pencil/measures/whatnots. . I can’t, or don’t know how to PM pics, so I thought I would post them here.

I am amazed at how clean everything is 🙂 That’s some nice looking equipment !

@Doobie
    Kevin, every time I see the pics I’m amazed with how much you got in a one car garage.

I remember you initially posting the pics. The naysayers were silenced immediately.

Note to the new members. We like pics! Post pics like Kevin did and NO ONE will ever ask you again.

Awesome!

Doobie

I am amazed at how clean everything is That’s some nice looking equipment !

I’m a bit of a neat/organizational freak. Can’t work in what I consider chaos.

@Doobie
    Kevin, every time I see the pics I’m amazed with how much you got in a one car garage.

I remember you initially posting the pics. The naysayers were silenced immediately.

Note to the new members. We like pics! Post pics like Kevin did and NO ONE will ever ask you again.

Awesome!

Thanks Eric!

Pics always say more than words can alone.

One of the reasons I posted my big long winded hello in this V2 version of the intro thread was to also open the door somewhat to people like myself who are not contractors who would be more apt to see this being in the first page of such a purposed thread.

I recall when I first joined, it was difficult to ascertain that non-trades persons were at all welcomed here. This is not true and I don’t believe you have to have a fancy dancy shop like mine necessarily, but you do have to have something to share here with others to get your just rewards.

This was largely why I did my longish intro, but other new members need not be nearly as long in introducing themselves of course. A simple “Hi my name is XXXXXX and this is what I do and who I am…” initially is quite sufficient and customary as was in the previous iteration of this Intro thread.

Pics of ones work and/or shop/tools certainly does help lay out the BTP welcome mat here though. FWIW.

Hi All,

I’m told this is the thread where I should introduce myself so here it goes..

I’ve been visiting BTP for a year or so and it seems like such a friendly community I figured I would join. I’ll warn you up front, I’m not a pro .. but for what it’s worth I’m a fairly hard core DIY’r. I’ve put down around 4K sq’ of tile, renovated a couple near-teardown repo’s from the studs up and most recently put up 400′ of wood fencing. I’m the go-to guy for building, fixing in my family, neighbourhood and friend group.. .even though I spend most days behind a desk ‘hammering away’ on a keyboard. My next project is a 24×32 garage/workshop and eventually I hope to buy some land and build my own home.

I suspect I have something in common with a bunch of forum members.. I’ve recently caught the Bosch bug after years of using a hodgepodge of lower end Dewalt, Porter Cable and HF tools. The $50 off $200 fathers day deal was just too tempting… I’ve started on what my GF calls the “Tower of Bosch”… lots of 18v goodness in there.

Thanks for having me on such a cool, informative forum!

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Hi All,

I’ve been visiting BTP for a year or so and it seems like such a friendly community I figured I would join. I’ll warn you up front, I’m not a pro .. but for what it’s worth I’m a fairly hard core DIY’r. I’ve put down around 4K sq’ of tile, renovated a couple near-teardown repo’s from the studs up and most recently put up 400′ of wood fencing. I’m the go-to guy for building, fixing in my family, neighbourhood and friend group.. .even though I spend most days behind a desk ‘hammering away’ on a keyboard. My next project is a 24×32 garage/workshop and eventually I hope to buy some land and build my own home.

I suspect I have something in common with a bunch of forum members.. I’ve recently caught the Bosch bug after years of using a hodgepodge of lower end Dewalt, Porter Cable and HF tools. The $50 off $200 fathers day deal was just too tempting… I’ve started on what my GF calls the “Tower of Bosch”… lots of 18v goodness in there.

Welcome to BTP Eric , looking forward to seeing your future projects !

cranbrook2

Thanks @cranbrook2 ! I dig your awesome birdhouses man. wow.

Doobie

Hey Eric @onecariboo, welcome to the forum!

Glad to see you say hi. I know, it can take a while!

Hi All,

Welcome to BTP. Sounds like you keep busy enough. Your right , its a good site and has some great folks that hang around here. Careful though, as that stack grows , so does the desire for more.

Hey Eric @onecariboo, welcome to the forum!

Glad to see you say hi. I know, it can take a while!

Thanks @Doobie ! Love your shop pics, way cool.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,017 total)
  • The topic ‘Introduce Yourself V2’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 1.682 seconds