dcsimg

Interior painting

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Did you do the ceilings also?

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Thanks. I hope I will do a good job. Did a lot of filling on the hallway halls tonight.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Did a lot of filling on the hallway halls tonight.

All that time filling and sanding will be reflected in the walls when you are all done.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Here s a couple pic of the hallway way that I did last night. I have to sand yet. Maybe tonight I can get that done.

Doobie

Thanks. I hope I will do a good job. Did a lot of filling on the hallway halls tonight.

Remember, use your hand and a raking light to see what needs to be corrected before priming/painting. It’s hard to see imperfections with your eyes straight on. Things that will show up like a sore thump later can make all your effort look like a crappy eyesore job.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Remember, use your hand and a raking light to see what needs to be corrected before priming/painting. It’s hard to see imperfections with your eyes straight on. Things that will show up like a sore thump later can make all your effort look like a crappy eyesore job.

Thanks for the tip Doobie. I did do that last night and I will be getting my floor halogen work light out. Slow process but I got it started. I haven’t started on the ceiling yet. I figured once I got the walls ready to primer I would paint the ceiling first then walls.

Doobie

Unless in a kitchen or bathroom, ceilings imo should be painted matt and not gloss.

You need a handheld light to rake properly/efficiently.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Yea it’s a matte paint. I had some left over from when I did the living room and bedrooms.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looking pretty good so far.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

A light will help show the bad spots.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

A light will help show the bad spots.

Yea I used my light last night and seen a lot more to fill. Called my Dad this morning to see if he can give me a hand to sand down the walls and I can look for spots to fill and sand again. I’d like to be ready for primer by tomorrow night or first thing Saturday morning. we will see how that goes.

I filled a few spots last night where wallpaper was at and felt a few sticky spots so looks like I will have to wash down the walls again with the TSP. I wonder if I didn’t may it strong enough and it didn’t take it all off.

Doobie

It’s really all about the prep. Don’t matter how good of paint you got, without a good canvas to paint on, it’ll look like a hack job. Take your time and do it right the first time.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

There’s more I see with the hallways walls now then I have before since I moved in mid October last year. It probably wont be perfect, but better than it is now with the time I have and pretty much myself doing most of the work.

There’s more I see with the hallways walls now then I have before since I moved in mid October last year. It probably wont be perfect, but better than it is now with the time I have and pretty much myself doing most of the work.

Hey, if you’re happy with it, that’s all that really matters. ,
    No place is perfect.
    Keep up the good work, and progress.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Hey, if you’re happy with it, that’s all that really matters. ,
    No place is perfect.
    Keep up the good work, and progress.

That’s true. You have a good point their. Depending what I get done tonight I might post a couple progress pics.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If you are using flat paint on the walls a lot of those small imperfections will be hard to see.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

If you are using flat paint on the walls a lot of those small imperfections will be hard to see.

This is true. Just makes cleaning the walls hard. Flat paint just doesn’t do very well when trying to remove dirt.

Ron

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

There’s more I see with the hallways walls now

What size blade are you using ? I normally don’t use anything smaller than a 6″ unless I’m only doing a spot touch up or two. How much mud are you putting on those nicks and gouges? You keep mentioning sanding.. you may be putting too much on. Generally you put it on in one direction and take it completely off in the opposite leaving just the imperfection with mud in it. Shouldn’t take more than 20 mins to do that entire hall, will dry in no time and won’t need sanding before 2nd going over. Same for 2nd..on and off and will require minimal sanding before primer

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

There’s more I see with the hallways walls now

What size blade are you using ? I normally don’t use anything smaller than a 6″ unless I’m only doing a spot touch up or two. How much mud are you putting on those nicks and gouges? You keep mentioning sanding.. you may be putting too much on. Generally you put it on in one direction and take it completely off in the opposite leaving just the imperfection with mud in it. Shouldn’t take more than 20 mins to do that entire hall, will dry in no time and won’t need sanding before 2nd going over. Same for 2nd..on and off and will require minimal sanding before primer

Not sure what you mean what size blade? I’m sanding the walls to scuff them up with primer and then filling the hols and nicks with Dry Dec (looks pink dries white) and sanding that. Plus I’m sand the door wood frames to scuff the shine on those to primer and paint them too. So far last 2 days it’s been just me. Today my Dad has helped some.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Not sure what you mean what size blade?

Sprokitz is referring to knife blade size.

Ron

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.607 seconds