dcsimg

Interior painting

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Im6going to sand it down with 220 grit before I primer.

That might be a bit rough and allow the scratches to show through. May be better to finish with 400.

I still haven’t been able to find 400 grit. The highest grit drywall sand paper I have seen is 220. Where can I find a higher grit paper? Paint store like SW or BM?

Doobie

Im6going to sand it down with 220 grit before I primer.

That might be a bit rough and allow the scratches to show through. May be better to finish with 400.

I still haven’t been able to find 400 grit. The highest grit drywall sand paper I have seen is 220. Where can I find a higher grit paper? Paint store like SW or BM?

I think you’ll be fine with 220. As I said before, you just need to rough up the old paint. Ypu don’t need to sand between coats unless you leave a previous coat up for weeks before applying the next coat. It’s a wall, not furniture.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Ok @doobie. I guess I’m a little paranoid since I never really don’t this and want to make sure I do this the best I can.

Here is a stupid question (to me). Should I sand the ceiling too before painting it? I wasn’t going to primer it. never did on the other rooms when we painted in the walls.

Doobie

Here is a stupid question (to me). Should I sand the ceiling too before painting it? I wasn’t going to primer it. never did on the other rooms when we painted in the walls.

What is the existing finish on the ceiling?

Hangman
    Pro

Honestly primer is a thing of the past, take it from a master painter. Nowadays you can get paint and primer in one formula and it saves time on labor. Personally I prefer the Benjamin Moore brand Aura it’s more expensive and silica based, the coverage is unparalleled. Sherman Williams also make self priming paint, though I imagine it can also be about what’s available locally. Personally I’ll only work with those two brands, it’s just not worth my time to use anything else.

Yes if the walls are dirty wash’em!
    If they have gunk on them, scrape’em!
    Holes or crack, fill’em properly with caulk or compound!
    If they have stains or mold, Killz them!

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

@Doobie: Looks to be a dull finish. Sorry I don’t know my sheens. I would say flat or a matte finish.

Thanks @Hangman. I’m a nervous DIY’r here trying to get it looking good the first time around lol. I know I can do it, but I want to do it right and try not and miss anything.

Doobie

You don’t have to sand it then, but it doesn’t hurt either. You can buy a pole sander attachment for it at any BB store. They’re like 20-30 bucks.

Hangman
    Pro

@hojo04 It’s understandable you want to paint it right and not have to worry for years to come. Many products out there now are better than what was available 20 years back. Always been of the mindset of “Fix it and forget it.” or “Do it right the 1st time” because it saves on hassles down the road.

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I moldings around the door frames in the hallway. What the best way to sand them down? Regular extra fine sand paper or a wet/dry sanding block?

Doobie

I moldings around the door frames in the hallway. What the best way to sand them down? Regular extra fine sand paper or a wet/dry sanding block?

You just need to rough up the surface. 100 to 140 grit. Don’t need to overdo it either. You’re just trying to take the gloss, if any, off and give it a rough face so new coating can stick better. Again, as said previously, use a primer before painting. Primer has a glue element that makes it a bonding agent for the paint over which you will ultimately apply.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I plan on priming the molding before I painting them. I just didn’t know the best way sand them. Thanks @doobie.

Doobie

I plan on priming the molding before I painting them. I just didn’t know the best way sand them. Thanks @doobie.

Just do it by hand. It’s not Rocket Science!

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

what not with a electric sander lol? I figured it would be done by hand.

RyanF
    Pro

what not with a electric sander lol? I figured it would be done by hand.

An electric sander could certainly be used, yes. But thats out of your scope. You definitely dont want a sanding block, unless you want to turn the molding into flat stock.

Go to Sherwin Willians and get some 3m sanding pads, both medium and fine. Get a microfiber cloth and/or lint free rags and some multi purpose primer in the blue can. Lastly, get the 3m spackle in the small container.

Fill holes
    Sand everything with medium sanding pad
    Wipe down with damp microber cloth or lint-free rags
    Apply primer
    Sand with fine sanding pad
    Quick wipe
    Apply paint
    Quick sand with fine sanding sponge
    Apply final coat.
    Done.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04 how is the painting coming along?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I haven’t started it yet. Hopefully in a few weeks. I am getting stuff each week till I have everything w/o hurting the bank account. For me it’s the only I can do it. Getting some things tonight and I hope to be starting on taking down the wallpaper. Once I get that done and ready then I’ll start the painting.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Painted all day today. Bores me to tears!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I feel for you. It’s not one of my favorite jobs ether Ron.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

yeah not much excitement in painting it can get really tedious. What are you painting?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

We are on the final stages of this house flip. House is getting new paint inside and out.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.562 seconds