dcsimg

Interior painting

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I don’t sand between coats unless it has had time to cure which for most paints is several days to as long as three weeks once applied. I just sand the surface of the old paint before priming.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I only have 3 days to get it painted. That not counting all the prep.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I typically sand after the primer coat. And let the top coats go unsanded unless there is some ruff coming through.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

You’re doomed! 😁

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

You’re doomed!

Yup, 2 rooms, a hall, trim, and the ceilings. Wallpaper border to remove and I never did a paint job where there wasn’t some compound involved too.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good luck. Hope you are coming along fine.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have a couple evenings afterwork that I hope to get all the wallpaper and prep work done and maybe the ceiling done.

Doobie

I have a couple evenings afterwork that I hope to get all the wallpaper and prep work done and maybe the ceiling done.

Is the ceiling flat, or is it stippled or popcorn ceiling? If it’s not flat, there’s maybe something you should be aware of first.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Good luck! Do you have a steamer to remove the wall paper?

Ron

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Thanks. I do not. Is that something that is necessary?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks. I do not. Is that something that is necessary?

Sure makes removal easier. But not always necessary. Really depends how well the paper is stuck to the wall.

Ron

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What is underneath the wallpaper, drywall or plaster?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

There’s also spray/spread on stuff you can buy to help remove it. It’s all about dislodging/disengaging the glue. I’ve heard fabric softener mixed with warm water works also. If the paper has a vinyl or reflective skin, you’ll need to score it first with a wire bristle brush or remove it pre-soaking.

Make sure you wash that wall good afterwards with TSP before painting on it. Personally, I hate wallpaper. Never understood the allure of it in decorating and I detest having to remove it.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

@theamcguy I would assume drywall. I haven’t taking it down yet so I don’t know.

@doobie I hate wallpaper too. Even the border wallpaper. I wouldn’t know if the wallpaper has a vinyl or reflective skin on it. I’m a newbie at this lol.

I have see a TSP product that is phosphate free. Would that be ok if I use it around my son (letting the house air out? What’s the big difference if it has phosphate in it or not?

Doobie

I have see a TSP product that is phosphate free. Would that be ok if I use it around my son (letting the house air out? What’s the big difference if it has phosphate in it or not?

That’s likely the enviro ‘green’ version of it. Never used it, but just like most green version of things, it probably is useless.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I know the TSP is potent and just didn’t want to use when my son is around for him in smell the fumes or whatever is potent about it. I never used it. Sounds like I will probably use it when he isn’t around for hrs so it has time to air out.

Doobie

I know the TSP is potent and just didn’t want to use when my son is around for him in smell the fumes or whatever is potent about it. I never used it. Sounds like I will probably use it when he isn’t around for hrs so it has time to air out.

Provided you don’t let your kid lick the walls, you’ll be fine. Just read this Howard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate

The stuff is used in food as well apparently.

Kamster
    Pro

I’ve used this to score wall paper that had been painted over.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.paper-tiger-single-head-scoring-tool.1000118414.html

It scores the wall paper but doesn’t dig into the drywall underneath. Just don’t press too hard.

Zinnser also makes a wall paper stripper that you can spray onto the wall paper. It comes premixed in a spray bottle or as a concentrate.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.dif-wallpaper-stripper-liquid-concentrate-635ml.1000123096.html

You spray it onto the wall paper and it loosens up the glue on the back of the wall paper. The wall paper lifts off. I had to use a scraper to get the wall completely clear of the adhesive.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Something to look into. Thanks @kamster

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You spray it onto the wall paper and it loosens up the glue on the back of the wall paper. The wall paper lifts off. I had to use a scraper to get the wall completely clear of the adhesive.

Great tip, Thank you

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.496 seconds