dcsimg

Interior painting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I am getting stuff ready to paint the hallway, dinning, and kitchen. The ceiling continues at the same level through these areas so I’m painting the ceiling and the walls. Right before I moved in I had a friend of mine help me paint the bedrooms and living rooms and had a couple spots in the living room and a few spot in 2 of the bedrooms where once it was painted it started to “fish eye” (painter term). I don’t want this to happen in the 3 area that I will be doing on the walls. So my question is if I sand down the walls with 220 grit and buy kilz primer and them use the Behr paint (premium plus ultra and it has primer in it) will I be good? Should I just do the Behr paint and add more coats on the walls and be good? Also I will have to sand the door frame moldings too so should I primer them or would I be ok with just paint on them?

I would have my friend help me out again, but he took his time coming back to my house to finish some touch up work. He gave me a couple excuses (late November) and when I told him I wanted it done before Christmas (moved in a wk before Halloween and painted before we moved in)he copped a attitude about it. When he showed up he had a attitude and finished the job (which I was happy with) and he told me to loose his number and never call him again. So with that being said I’m doing this myself and was watching him paint and trying to take notes. I never really painted and I want it to look good for a DIY’r.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Fish Eye happened because the walls where not cleaned properly. Had ether oils or chemicals on them. Cleaning with TSP or like cleaners should fix that problem.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Fish Eye happened because the walls where not cleaned properly. Had ether oils or chemicals on them. Cleaning with TSP or like cleaners should fix that problem.

OK. Where can I find TSP and what is it? BTW I like the profile pic lol.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

OK. Where can I find TSP and what is it?

trisodium phosphate. Most stores carry it. Even found it at Walmart.

Ron

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

OK. Where can I find TSP and what is it?

trisodium phosphate. Most stores carry it. Even found it at Walmart.

otherwise known as “Spic and Span” just don’t get the non phosphate type

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Yup…definitely have to make sure the walls are clean before you paint. I always wash them down with a TSP solution, patch any imperfections I want to fix, sand and spot clean patches, then paint. As for the Behr Premium Plus…don’t have anything against Behr but I have never cared for their paint and I don’t care for the combined paint and primer in general. Go with a good primer (Kilz is a good choice, so is SW Multi Purpose, Binz…), and 2 coats of a quality paint. I prefer Sherwin williams paint and many times I will have the primer tinted a few shades lighter than my finish color.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Yup…definitely have to make sure the walls are clean before you paint. I always wash them down with a TSP solution, patch any imperfections I want to fix, sand and spot clean patches, then paint. As for the Behr Premium Plus…don’t have anything against Behr but I have never cared for their paint and I don’t care for the combined paint and primer in general. Go with a good primer (Kilz is a good choice, so is SW Multi Purpose, Binz…), and 2 coats of a quality paint. I prefer Sherwin williams paint and many times I will have the primer tinted a few shades lighter than my finish color.

Nailed it. i use the GARDZ product and really like how quick it dries and seals the wall really well especially after wall paper removal. Agree about the Behr. I use Benjamin Moore but choose a good paint, don’t go with the promar 200 or the super hide, you will get crappy quality.

Doobie

Bang on about what Chad and Mike and Ron said.

What you’ll also find at dedicated paint stores like SW or BM, it’s not just the paint is above average to excellent quality, is the advice as well versus that found in BB stores. If you’ve never painted before, you need that more than anything.

My wife came home with a Behr paint some years ago having forgotten that I never buy paint in BB stores. It was a frustrating reminder how crappy their paint is which I’ve known ever since Behr became available in Canada via HD arriving here in the late 80’s. Never again!

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

There is a BMW store near me. I’m getting ceiling paint there. Unfortunately I already got my Beth paint yesterday before I seen these post. I did get the Kiln primer which I pro3will use 2 coats of that and 2 coats of paint. I appreciate the advise. I wish I would of seen this sooner.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

You shouldn’t need 2 coats of primer. Apply an even coat and your paint should do the rest.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Ok.yThanks.

Doobie

You shouldn’t need 2 coats of primer. Apply an even coat and your paint should do the rest.

I agree.

Primer acts as a base and hide for your ‘canvas’. It also has glue like properties in it that help paint hold better. I rarely ever apply paint alone, always a primer first.

Don’t forget to rough up the old surface before applying anything to it after the TSP. Especially it the old surface has any kind of sheen finish.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Im6going to sand it down with 220 grit before I primer.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Im6going to sand it down with 220 grit before I primer.

That might be a bit rough and allow the scratches to show through. May be better to finish with 400.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Oh. I thought that 220 was a fine grit sandpaper. I haven’t seen any higher number than that at the BB stores.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

If your going to sand you just want to lightly. Just enough to knock off the sheen.

Ron

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I will look for a 400 grit paper or close to it. Hopefully the primer will do the rest and smooth it out before painting. Do you have to sand the primer some before painting or leave it alone?

RyanF
    Pro

I will look for a 400 grit paper or close to it. Hopefully the primer will do the rest and smooth it out before painting. Do you have to sand the primer some before painting or leave it alone?

220 is plenty high enough. These are walls we’re talking about.

Yes, sand between coats. Go over everything quicky. Main purpose is to remove contaminants between coats. I use 150 between coats.

I am getting stuff ready to paint the hallway, dinning, and kitchen. The ceiling continues at the same level through these areas so I’m painting the ceiling and the walls. Right before I moved in I had a friend of mine help me paint the bedrooms and living rooms and had a couple spots in the living room and a few spot in 2 of the bedrooms where once it was painted it started to “fish eye” (painter term). I don’t want this to happen in the 3 area that I will be doing on the walls. So my question is if I sand down the walls with 220 grit and buy kilz primer and them use the Behr paint (premium plus ultra and it has primer in it) will I be good? Should I just do the Behr paint and add more coats on the walls and be good? Also I will have to sand the door frame moldings too so should I primer them or would I be ok with just paint on them?

I would have my friend help me out again, but he took his time coming back to my house to finish some touch up work. He gave me a couple excuses (late November) and when I told him I wanted it done before Christmas (moved in a wk before Halloween and painted before we moved in)he copped a attitude about it. When he showed up he had a attitude and finished the job (which I was happy with) and he told me to loose his number and never call him again. So with that being said I’m doing this myself and was watching him paint and trying to take notes. I never really painted and I want it to look good for a DIY’r.

Geeze, sorry to hear about that spat with your so called friend.

I’m guessing that could be due to maybe kids sticking putty on the walls or maybe other things 😮

Like some others have mentioned, a quick cleaning with tsp, then a good primer sealer, do you happen to know if it’s oil based paint on the walls now ? If so, and you go with latex paint, don’t forget to get the appropriate primer for that.

Good luck and keep us posted on your painting, I’m sure you will get it done nicely.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Geeze, sorry to hear about that spat with your so called friend.

I’m guessing that could be due to maybe kids sticking putty on the walls or maybe other things

Like some others have mentioned, a quick cleaning with tsp, then a good primer sealer, do you happen to know if it’s oil based paint on the walls now ? If so, and you go with latex paint, don’t forget to get the appropriate primer for that.

Good luck and keep us posted on your painting, I’m sure you will get it done nicely.

I don’t know if it’s oil based paint. To be honest I don’t even know what sheen it has on the walls. It seems to have a little shine to it. I will be using the Kilz primer. I also have to take off some wallpaper trim/border in the kitchen and painting that instead of putting up new wallpaper. The wallpaper could be a whole discussion in itself lol. I just hope it comes off easy lol.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.515 seconds