dcsimg

Interior Design/Rendering software

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Does anyone use Interior Design and rendering software when presenting a proposal to a client? I was doing kitchen cabinetry for a few years and used Interior Home Designer quite often to present a cabinetry layout to the clients for review before finalizing the contract.
    This was quite handy in determining anything the client did not agree with, or in explaining why a different cabinetry layout would be beneficial.
    A lot of times the cabinet shop owner would try to verbally explain the reason for a different cabinet layout, but the client really could not grasp where he was going with the conversation – but after I put together a rendering to visually show the clients the layout they, in many cases, would immediately understand the logic.

I have recently upgraded to Home Designer Architectural (these are Chief Architect products) which seems to add quite a few capabilities – one of which is materials costing, but I have not gotten that involved with updating local materials costs.

If you do not use rendering visuals, is there another method you use when explaining cabinetry layout to prospective clients?

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I do my own drawings when it comes to basic projects. when they get more involved, I sum the drawings to a designer who has all the 3D capabilities and much better software.

MTRoads
    Pro

Kurt,
    I can understand going that route. My issue is that my freehand drawing capabilities are, shall we say, challenged? Getting things hand-drawn close enough to scale to explain the design reasons to the client would take me a lot longer than it takes with the software.

Stan

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Kurt,
    I can understand going that route. My issue is that my freehand drawing capabilities are, shall we say, challenged? Getting things hand-drawn close enough to scale to explain the design reasons to the client would take me a lot longer than it takes with the software.

I mostly hand draw items that are not used for presentation. Elevations for specs and permits on smaller jobs. if it is used for a presentation I have it done by others.

Doing it this way I can get by with about 500 or less into drawings verses 3K

I would really like to find a new software, that I can do that with, the one I use is from about 1995 and will not work on a computer that has an operating system past Windows Vista. I only have one of those left that works so at some point I will have to either hand draw everything or sub everything. I hope I can find something I like and can learn it before then.

MTRoads
    Pro

Kurt,
    I have been using the Chief Architecture (DIY level) software for a few years. The learning curve is pretty shallow, and the capabilities are fairly extensive.
    They have packages from $99.00 to $495, even the lower end package should work for most stuff. Once you have purchased it, upgrades are relatively cheap.
    If you just want to try it out, the trial version is functional except for Printing, Saving, Exporting and Virtual Tours.

If you want I can attach a few files of kitchen projects I have done so you can look at them. I know it sure saves me a good amount of time when trying to explain things to the client when there are issues or ‘better’ layouts that can be done.

Stan

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Stan, that would be interesting to see, you can just email them to me if you want, I think the software I use is a Chief Architect product from 1995 or so, I know they will be at the International Builders Show, in Vegas , in January that I will be at , so I will ask them about their more scaled down software. I once bought their full version for about 3K but did not kike it and returned it within their 30 day free trial.

MTRoads
    Pro

I’ll just attach two small images here. The first is one of the first kitchens I used the software with (which was the basic Interior Designer that I bought somewhere around 2006 for something like $99 or so).
    I was just learning the software, but this one was done in a couple hours even with the learning curve.
    The second is a ‘partial’ image of the completed kitchen for comparison.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

but this one was done in a couple hours even with the learning curve.
    The second is a ‘partial’ image of the completed kitchen for comparison.

That is very nice software. The before and after photos are very close. Very nice to show the customer the final look.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Stan, that looks really Good. Is it basically a kitchen design or a whole design suite that you could do houses with also?

MTRoads
    Pro

Stan, that looks really Good. Is it basically a kitchen design or a whole design suite that you could do houses with also?

Completed design suite with the version I have now, which is the “Home Designer Architectural” version.
    I can attach another ‘partial’ design image in a while of a metal frame building layout for a house I am working on. Can do a variety of looks, interior, exterior, dollhouse, etc.

Stan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.520 seconds