dcsimg

Interesting things we see.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 238 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 47 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 239 total)
  • Author

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I thought I would start this thread to showcase interesting , new and unique things we come across in our work or searches that my make some of what we do better or easier. It does not have to be something you have bought , just an idea that you like or could see making something easier or better. I will start it off with this.

I cane across this bracket for setting posts like mailboxes and the like. It seems like it would hold better than the standard brackets we see with a thin metal plate and bracket that bolt to the bottom of a post.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mayne-No-Dig-Ground-Screw-580D00000/100592729?cm_mmc=socialmedia|FY117|%20FY17%20|%20BASE%20|DPA%20|%20DPA%20|%20Viewed%20Product%20|&k_clickid=449f8ea7-eb88-464f-b999-59affd071edf

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I like the idea for this kind of thread Kurt. That sorta stuff gets lost otherwise where we usually would see in the Toolaholics thread.

When I saw that post ground screw you posted, it reminded me of this post base system that I had looked at for my own purposes a few years ago, but could hardly find enough feedback on online to feel comfortable with proceeding on for my own projects in my own backyard.

Just like in your region Kurt, frost heave would be my main concern with this OZ-Post system.

Kevin.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Yes , I agree that frost would raise that right out. I also wonder what happens if you hit a big rock? Then you have to try and pull it back out.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

So many of these products are designed for much warmer climates than we deal with I would see it as a more temporary solution than anything permanent or structural

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

A couple of years ago, I bought a box full of stuff at a yard sale just to get one or 2 items i was interested in. This was down towards the bottom of the box and has come in handy powering a shop vac and a saw outside my shop. It plugs into a wall outlet or extension cord. Rated for 15A.

Like the accessory plugs on the higher end extractors, this turns the vac on each time the power tool is activated and keeps the power on for a few seconds after the tool is shut off.. Shame it doesn’t work with cordless tools lol

Attachments:

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A couple of years ago, I bought a box full of stuff at a yard sale just to get one or 2 items i was interested in.

Interesting what you can find at yard sales. Nice item, handy to have.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What you guys think about this one here
    especially @utopia78

It’s called “bricky”

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

especially @utopia78

It’s called “bricky”

Cool find, it does makes sense for people not use to laying. It could speed up productivity and quality in certain situations.

A Working Pro since 2004

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have seen that before and think it would be a big help.
    I have never mastered block work for sure.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Definitely help get consistent joints while laying block. I would get a set if I needed to do some brickwork.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

What a great way to reduce waste and keep the mortar from clogging the drainage area or weeps.

Nice even bed of mortar too. If anything, the negative would be not leaving enough excess to score and tool the joint.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Really good find! I would use that, for sure.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

some nice ideas , the posts ones are neat , but don’t think it would work in clod climates , that being said , someone should come up with a similar insert that gets poured into the concrete base in ground , and just add the post into it like the one you posted Kevin , imagine how simple it would be to replace rotten or insect problem posts , no more digging out the concrete and pouring a new post in the ground ??
    Peter that looks like a neat idea ,

Alex thats pretty cool , would definitly help out making things faster and level

A couple of cool things so far, but I thought it was going to be a bikini thread….lol.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

A couple of years ago, I bought a box full of stuff at a yard sale just to get one or 2 items i was interested in. This was down towards the bottom of the box and has come in handy powering a shop vac and a saw outside my shop. It plugs into a wall outlet or extension cord. Rated for 15A.

Like the accessory plugs on the higher end extractors, this turns the vac on each time the power tool is activated and keeps the power on for a few seconds after the tool is shut off.. Shame it doesn’t work with cordless tools lol

I could use one of those with my drill press where I have a dedicated old shop vac and articuled rigid hose to extract shavings as they occur. Do you know if they still make that Peter?

Kevin.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I could use one of those with my drill press where I have a dedicated old shop vac and articuled rigid hose to extract shavings as they occur. Do you know if they still make that Peter?

I would think that it has gone the way of the rest of the Craftsman line but I really don’t know for sure.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I would think that it has gone the way of the rest of the Craftsman line but I really don’t know for sure.

Probably. I’ve seen other types that do that function, but they’re usually not priced that I would buy one just for that dedicated use on my DP.

Kevin.

Clev08
    Pro

This would be the perfect solution for centering lights in a kitchen with a joist in the way. A light that is only as thick as the drywall.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have seen similar LED fixtures that use a box but are only about 3/8″ thick.

with the light removable there should be no code issues with the connection above also. Not sure I would want to use this one in our climate on an insulated ceiling unless you had a pan above it.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

This would be the perfect solution for centering lights in a kitchen with a joist in the way. A light that is only as thick as the drywall.

That’s pretty cool, and usually with the newer construction they even have gerring strips before the jip

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 239 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.401 seconds