dcsimg

Interesting things we see, Vol 3

Viewing 20 posts - 1,121 through 1,140 (of 1,167 total)
  • Author

Was an interesting day , my carrier Rogers was having technical issues today , phones were not working and on and off service , I think it’s finally fixed ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Was an interesting day , my carrier Rogers was having technical issues today , phones were not working and on and off service , I think it’s finally fixed ,

It seemed to people that are in my area also.

This happen to us a few weeks ago. This time there several carriers that went down.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I just check the the moisture level in my lumber. I was pretty impressed with results. The 1x10x10 boards range from 7% to 17%. I check these boards in 2 locations. About 6 inches from the end and in the middle of the board. They have been sawn for about 3 weeks.
    The 2x4x10 were 11% to 15%. When I got them they ranged from 20% to 39%. Seems like they are drying very well.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

The 1x10x10 boards range from 7% to 17%.

That would be considered “dry” in Europe. They use wetter wood over there compared to North America, yet their end products are just as nice. Moisture level will fluctuate forever with the weather. Outdoor wood more so. Lots of 100+ year old barns still standing around this continent that were pretty wet when put up and have never seen a lick of finish on them.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

The 1x10x10 boards range from 7% to 17%.

That would be considered “dry” in Europe. They use wetter wood over there compared to North America, yet their end products are just as nice. Moisture level will fluctuate forever with the weather. Outdoor wood more so. Lots of 100+ year old barns still standing around this continent that were pretty wet when put up and have never seen a lick of finish on them.

Really I did not that this would be consider dry in Europe. Oh know what you mean about barns. My Grandparent’s barn would be close to 100 years old. It is standing and only had few boards replaced. The original barn burnt. That is the barn in my profile picture.

Maybe by next weekend I will start using some of that lumber for the subfloor for my shed.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Really I did not that this would be consider dry in Europe.

Yeah, 12% in Europe for furniture where as N. America likes to get it down to about 8%.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We are remodeling an old farmhouse. The homeowner is doing most of the demo. I saw this piece of lath and had to grab a small chunk as I had not seen this type of lath used before.

I am familiar with the typical 1 1/2″ x 3/8 wood, the old Rock lath , Metal lath and plaster base drywall, but had not seen this one.

It is basically a 1 x 4 with the groves cut in the face sloped down and then some gaps at the joint, between the boards, for the plaster to key into. The angled slots being sloped downward, basically act like a French cleat for the plaster to lock into.

We have worked in many old homes but had never seen this before.

As everything was opened up , it was interesting to see that almost every piece of lumber in the house had the label included below. All of the joists, beams and posts. We removed a 6 x 8 post in the basement with this label that will become a mantle for a fireplace. The owners father remembers this elevator and Lumber yard from years ago. I think they closed in the 60’s or earlier.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I saw this piece of lath and had to grab a small chunk as I had not seen this type of lath used before.

That is an interesting piece of lathe for sure. The stamped label on the lumber is interesting as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We are remodeling an old farmhouse. The homeowner is doing most of the demo. I saw this piece of lath and had to grab a small chunk as I had not seen this type of lath used before.

I am familiar with the typical 1 1/2″ x 3/8 wood, the old Rock lath , Metal lath and plaster base drywall, but had not seen this one.

It is basically a 1 x 4 with the groves cut in the face sloped down and then some gaps at the joint, between the boards, for the plaster to key into. The angled slots being sloped downward, basically act like a French cleat for the plaster to lock into.

As everything was opened up , it was interesting to see that almost every piece of lumber in the house had the label included below. All of the joists, beams and posts. We removed a 6 x 8 post in the basement with this label that will become a mantle for a fireplace. The owners father remembers this elevator and Lumber yard from years ago. I think they closed in the 60’s or earlier.

Wow that’s interesting , great piece of history and nice to be able to preserve or repurpose some of those materials , especially since they hold a sentimental value , I would love to see the finished fireplace afterwards if possible

Do you have any idea as to why or what happened to the lumber yard closing.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Wow that’s interesting , great piece of history and nice to be able to preserve or repurpose some of those materials , especially since they hold a sentimental value , I would love to see the finished fireplace afterwards if possible

Do you have any idea as to why or what happened to the lumber yard closing.

The owners wife saw the timber and decided they needed to add a fireplace to use it. I think they are still discussing it but my guess is that it will happen. He tole me I should have just thrown it away, it would have saved him about 5K if his wife had not seen it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

We had a Solar Eclipse this week. I saw that someone had some really good pictures of it on social media.

Greg

We had a Solar Eclipse this week. I saw that someone had some really good pictures of it on social media.

Wow those are beautiful pictures 👌

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Wow those are beautiful pictures 👌

Yes they are that is why I copied to share.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Here is section of a oak board that was off the well platform at my Grandparent’s farm. It was used to hold the well pump. I would have to say that this board was out in the weather with no finish for 25 or 30 years.
    It has been bugging since I got the board what it look like cleaned up. So I decide get my electric hand plane out and have a look at it. I would have to say looks pretty good.

Greg

Here is section of a oak board that was off the well platform at my Grandparent’s farm. It was used to hold the well pump. I would have to say that this board was out in the weather with no finish for 25 or 30 years.

It has been bugging since I got the board what it look like cleaned up. So I decide get my electric hand plane out and have a look at it. I would have to say looks pretty good.

Wow that’s a beautiful weathered piece of wood , definitely makes a beautiful mantel or something else , do you have any idea what you want to do with it , it’s nice to still have a sentimental piece of lumber like that

What brand is that work table

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Wow that’s a beautiful weathered piece of wood , definitely makes a beautiful mantel or something else , do you have any idea what you want to do with it , it’s nice to still have a sentimental piece of lumber like that

What brand is that work table

It sure is. I am glad I rescued it before headed to the burn pile. I don’t have any plans for this piece of wood yet. I will use it for something.

I believe my work table is Worx.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am glad I rescued it before headed to the burn pile. I don’t have any plans for this piece of wood yet. I will use it for something.

That is a nice piece of wood. Has a nice grain to it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I am glad I rescued it before headed to the burn pile. I don’t have any plans for this piece of wood yet. I will use it for something.

That is a nice piece of wood. Has a nice grain to it.

Thanks! I think it is a nice piece of wood. Yes it does have some nice grain in it.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

oak board

Character in that one!

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

oak board

Character in that one!

Yes there is.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 1,121 through 1,140 (of 1,167 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.761 seconds