dcsimg

Interesting things we see, Vol 3

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 349 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I know there is a few members on BTP who fish. So I thought I would share a picture of this Musky ( muskelunge ) I saw on social media. This musky was caught in a lake about 15 minutes from where I live. There is also Musky in the lake where I live. Both these lakes are well known for there Musky fishing. I have never caught or saw Musky yet. I don’t fish that much anymore.

Nice fish to catch, for sure, but at that size, not a keeper. Record muskie catches in Ontario are in the 50 lb+ range. Any smaller than that should be returned to grow and fight another day.

I have caught 2 in the 20 lb range and 1 in the 30 lb range; they are unbelievable to have on a line; pure, raw, muscle! I have a Georgian Bay pike on the wall about the size of that muskie. That was a fun day, too.

Thanks for sharing that.

Your right it is not a keeper. They have caught some record ones in these 2 lakes I am talking about. I just can’t remember the sizes.
    I remember reading the local paper years ago. Where I man from USA was here on holidays. While he was trolling the lake he thought he got a snag. It turned a Musky hit his line. It took him quite awhile to land this fish.

That sounds like wall mount you have Peter.

I know there is a few members on BTP who fish. So I thought I would share a picture of this Musky ( muskelunge ) I saw on social media. This musky was caught in a lake about 15 minutes from where I live. There is also Musky in the lake where I live. Both these lakes are well known for there Musky fishing. I have never caught or saw Musky yet. I don’t fish that much anymore.

Nice one , I caught one years ago
    I actually thought my line was stuck in weed’s or under something like branches, it didn’t put up much of a fight , we also noticed it looked like it was hit by a boat prop , anyway took longer getting him back in the water than realing it in.

I miss fishing.

They are quite a tough fish.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I came close to hitting a deer last night on my way to work. I had just left my place and was on the outskirts of town when this on coming truck blinked his headlights at me. From that point I kept looking down the highway thinking there was accident. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a deer on the north bound shoulder of the highway getting ready to cross the highway. I was lucky she didn’t try to cross. I have seen alot deer this week while driving to and from work.

Greg

Doobie

I came close to hitting a deer last night on my way to work. I had just left my place and was on the outskirts of town when this on coming truck blinked his headlights at me. From that point I kept looking down the highway thinking there was accident. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a deer on the north bound shoulder of the highway getting ready to cross the highway. I was lucky she didn’t try to cross. I have seen alot deer this week while driving to and from work.

Must be the flies getting bad maybe. Gets them antsy. Good thing you had your eyes open and alert.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Must be the flies getting bad maybe. Gets them antsy. Good thing you had your eyes open and alert.

I have heard the deer flies are really bad this year. I always try to be alert when driving. The guy blinking his lights was more of a distraction then help to me.

Greg

Had a visit last night at my neighbors house by the fire department , it was around 7:30 last night , apparently his pool pump inside his pool shed caught fire , good thing it was not worse than just smoke and burned pump ,
    They sent 4 trucks and the first responders.
    Glad no one was hurt.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Had a visit last night at my neighbors house by the fire department , it was around 7:30 last night , apparently his pool pump inside his pool shed caught fire , good thing it was not worse than just smoke and burned pump ,
    Glad no one was hurt.

Good to thing it wasn’t to serious and no one got hurt. I sure you were wondering when you heard the sirens and saw the fire trucks.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Glad no one was hurt.

Yes these pumps when losing prime can be a real problem and overheats.

Doobie

Glad no one was hurt.

Had no idea pool pumps caught fire. Would you happen to know what brand it was?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Pool pumps when overheated either due to electrical issues or in many cases, leaks in plumbing can cause the pump to lose prime and when you do not have enough water running through the motor it can overheats, melts and catch fire.

Pump brands really won’t tell you much. Most pump “brands” are basically the companies that makes the tank body , stand, basket, lid and other accessories, most of them use someone else’s motors such as AO Smith. Most pump failure in my opinion is installation and operation related.

Pool pumps when overheated either due to electrical issues or in many cases, leaks in plumbing can cause the pump to lose prime and when you do not have enough water running through the motor it can overheats, melts and catch fire.

Pump brands really won’t tell you much. Most pump “brands” are basically the companies that makes the tank body , stand, basket, lid and other accessories, most of them use someone else’s motors such as AO Smith. Most pump failure in my opinion is installation and operation related.

They are especially prone to bearings seizing. Once they seize , that’s where they can overheat that’s aside from the obvious that Sammi mentioned.

I believe his pump was a Hayward , the other problem is inground pools tend to have the pool mechanical equipment inside the pool shed
    Less air circulation ,

Doobie

They are especially prone to bearings seizing. Once they seize , that’s where they can overheat that’s aside from the obvious that Sammi mentioned.

I believe his pump was a Hayward , the other problem is inground pools tend to have the pool mechanical equipment inside the pool shed
    Less air circulation ,

Good to know. My above ground 1 hp Hayward runs 24/7 during pool season sitting outside. Never knew this could happen with pool pumps.

I know there’s a common practice with many pool owners to turn their pumps off during the day and only run them at night, but I was told by pool places that people shouldn’t do that as the daytime is when the sun is beating down on the pool is when the pump should be circulating the water. What do others here do?

Less air circulation ,

Good to know. My above ground 1 hp Hayward runs 24/7 during pool season sitting outside. Never knew this could happen with pool pumps.

I know there’s a common practice with many pool owners to turn their pumps off during the day and only run them at night, but I was told by pool places that people shouldn’t do that as the daytime is when the sun is beating down on the pool is when the pump should be circulating the water. What do others here do?

Well I’m doing the same as you , running 24/7
    A few reasons
    1st I’m using salt water system ,
    2nd like Sammi mentioned it’s sometimes difficult for the pump to pump after it’s been idle for a few hours , they are made to handle that , but I just don’t want to trust it while I’m not home.
    And 3rd I think it’s easier to control the pool water quality while it runs continuously.

Mine is also a Hayward , I think it’s a 1 -1/2 HP.
    I also know that salt water systems are apparently harder on pool mechanical equipment.

I talked to my neighbor yesterday. He was kinda embarrassed because of the 4 big fire engine trucks lol
    He had an electrician yesterday morning check his panel and equipment
    He obviously had to replace the pump 600 dollars later. Plus he has to ground his salt system and pool pump to a grounded rod into the earth. Plus a few other details.
    Ah the joys of being a pool owner 😬🥺😥

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

There are different ways to look at this.

If your primary concern is your electric bill, then running 24/7 may not be the best idea.

Also location matters. I think algae grows more vigorous in south Florida then Alberta Canada.

Based on your pumps HP and flow rate, and the volume of your pool, you can calculate how long it takes for your pump to circle through the whole volume. Then it’s a matter of deciding if you want the pump to cycle how many times each day, twice? ten times? Continuous?

Other factors affecting this is whether you have an integrated spa with a feature to spills over into the pool and if you want that to keep going through the night.

Newer pumps are more energy efficient.

Bosch makes a 36v cordless pump that runs for ten seconds per charge. 🤣🤣🤣

If your primary concern is your electric bill, then running 24/7 may not be the best idea.

Also location matters. I think algae grows more vigorous in south Florida then Alberta Canada.

Based on your pumps HP and flow rate, and the volume of your pool, you can calculate how long it takes for your pump to circle through the whole volume. Then it’s a matter of deciding if you want the pump to cycle how many times each day, twice? ten times? Continuous?

Other factors affecting this is whether you have an integrated spa with a feature to spills over into the pool and if you want that to keep going through the night.

Newer pumps are more energy efficient.

Bosch makes a 36v cordless pump that runs for ten seconds per charge. 🤣🤣🤣

I’ll have to check that Bosch pump out.

They even have two stage pumps also , different speed and power consumption.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Less air circulation ,

A few reasons
    2nd like Sammi mentioned it’s sometimes difficult for the pump to pump after it’s been idle for a few hours , they are made to handle that , but I just don’t want to trust it while I’m not home.
    And 3rd I think it’s easier to control the pool water quality while it runs continuously.

I also know that salt water systems are apparently harder on pool mechanical equipment.

I talked to my neighbor yesterday. He was kinda embarrassed because of the 4 big fire engine trucks lol
    He obviously had to replace the pump 600 dollars later. Plus he has to ground his salt system and pool pump to a grounded rod into the earth. Plus a few other details.

Lakes are so much easier to maintain….. lol Lucky for us, there is a really big one very close, miles of beautiful beaches.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Less air circulation ,

A few reasons

Lakes are so much easier to maintain….. lol Lucky for us, there is a really big one very close, miles of beautiful beaches.

LOL! This is true!

My wife manages 5 pools and I have heard all the problems that can happen.

Greg

Less air circulation ,

A few reasons

Haha yeah true , but with my luck I’d floating out into the way of boats lol.

Doobie

I was told that in running it only partially during the day, you can easily spend more on chlorine/chemicals that would negate any energy savings.

Here’s so,ething else that happened. I asked my pool place if there were more energy dual speed programable style pumps available when they were having a pump promo early this season before I reinstalled my pump for this season. While there are for inground pools, none are made for above ground pools.

But thru this fruitless exercise, I tried to find out what amperage my current 1 HP pump runs at. Nowhere on the pump itself, nor on the Hayward website, could I find anything so I asked my pool place to find out. They couldn’t tell me either. Isn’t that strange that nowhere can I find out how much amperage this thing uses? I looked at some hydro bills to try to gauge what it might use, but while it’s quite debatable, I think it’s costing us $30 a month in electricity.

I was told that in running it only partially during the day, you can easily spend more on chlorine/chemicals that would negate any energy savings.

Here’s so,ething else that happened. I asked my pool place if there were more energy dual speed programable style pumps available when they were having a pump promo early this season before I reinstalled my pump for this season. While there are for inground pools, none are made for above ground pools.

But thru this fruitless exercise, I tried to find out what amperage my current 1 HP pump runs at. Nowhere on the pump itself, nor on the Hayward website, could I find anything so I asked my pool place to find out. They couldn’t tell me either. Isn’t that strange that nowhere can I find out how much amperage this thing uses? I looked at some hydro bills to try to gauge what it might use, but while it’s quite debatable, I think it’s costing us $30 a month in electricity.

I’m sure they will come out with those dual speed pumps for above ground pools soon , I just replaced our pump around 4 to 5 years ago , next one will definitely be buying the dual speed

You are right about the extra cost for chemicals and such when only running the pump not 24/7 that’s what the pool store also mentioned to me.

Doobie

I’m sure they will come out with those dual speed pumps for above ground pools soon , I just replaced our pump around 4 to 5 years ago , next one will definitely be buying the dual speed

You are right about the extra cost for chemicals and such when only running the pump not 24/7 that’s what the pool store also mentioned to me.

I’d get one if they made it. I dislike my pump because it doesn’t have a drain plug in the bottom of the housing. Every year I have to disconnect the whole thing and physically pick it up and flip it upside down to drain it properly for the winter. While I added some universal couplers to make that job easier than it used to be from when it was installed by the crappy company’s installers, it’s still a PITA each year and I’d like to have a pump that runs on a slower speed for the overnite at least.

Everybody I spoke to says, ‘pumps have a drain plug’, well, this one made by Hayward that was built specifically for this pool company chain we went with doesn’t. We regret so much going with that company. Almost everything we got and had installed has either failed, or had to be redone. The only things left are the pump and the actual pool itself and the hose that goes from the pool to the mechanicals for which as I mentioned they didn’t install any unions that I ended up adding myself. Wish I could kick those buggers in the nuts at times! Aaaargh!!!

EDIT: Oh, the sand filter is still original. Knock on wood when I mention that. It’s probably the next thing that needs to be replaced. The control handle seems to be getting a little stiffer. Are they supposed to be lubbed maybe?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 349 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.582 seconds