dcsimg

Interesting things we see, Vol. 2

This topic contains 498 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 4 hours, 59 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 499 total)
  • Author

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

here is a kink to the old thread. @chadm could you please close the old one.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/interesting-things-we-see/page/51/

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I have a client I was talking to on the phone this past week about his concerns about his company’s difficulties they may face with this trade war with the US as he works in the automotive parts supply side of things.

He was telling me about this new type of hybrid metal sandwhiched wood flooring his company has been tinkering with as a sideline opportunity for them they may get into that he says they have had a lot of interest in from their customers and others.

So when his wife came over to pick up their tax stuff and pay me my money, she brought over a small sample of it and a piece of the metal bare that gets sandwhiched between the two pieces of wood. Looks intriguing, although if the metal is not stainless steel, which I don’t know if it is, but I could ask him. It would be prone to rust as the sharp little metal prongs of the metal medium that holds it altogether show on the surface.

Just thought it was an interssting new thing that may have some potential. I asked if I could keep the samples, unfortunately I couldn’t but I was allowed to take some pics.

I don’t know why they would put metal there?

I imagine simply for strength. The whole flooring is made with solid sheets of it sandwhiched in between.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I don’t know if any of you will find this interesting, but I felt pretty proud of myself just for using what I had on hand today – I needed to cut the hole for a toilet flange in this replacement subfloor patch, and I didn’t have my compass with me, so I just used a strip of linoleum, put two marks for the radius I needed, a screw through one into the wood and a pen through the other. Worked great!

Charlie

Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Saw thes 6 x 8 sheets of plywood being used as a barricade yesterday. Nev seen the 6’ wide Stuff unless it was special order and could not imagine using it as just a barricade instead of using a shand a half

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Saw thes 6 x 8 sheets of plywood

I never even knew they made 6X8 sheets of plywood even special order.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I don’t know if any of you will find this interesting, but I felt pretty proud of myself just for using what I had on hand today – I needed to cut the hole for a toilet flange in this replacement subfloor patch, and I didn’t have my compass with me, so I just used a strip of linoleum, put two marks for the radius I needed, a screw through one into the wood and a pen through the other. Worked great!

Looks like it worked. I often use a scrap of wood as a compass in the same manner.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Looks like it worked. I often use a scrap of wood as a compass in the same manner.

Good idea Charlie, I’ve used plenty of different materials, good job.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Saw thes 6 x 8 sheets of plywood

I never even knew they made 6X8 sheets of plywood even special order.

I have seen 4 x 8,9,10,12,16 and 24 and 8 x 24 used in various applications, especially SIP panels. They use the longer ones listed.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have a client I was talking to on the phone this past week about his concerns about his company’s difficulties they may face with this trade war with the US as he works in the automotive parts supply side of things.

He was telling me about this new type of hybrid metal sandwhiched wood flooring his company has been tinkering with as a sideline opportunity for them they may get into that he says they have had a lot of interest in from their customers and others.

So when his wife came over to pick up their tax stuff and pay me my money, she brought over a small sample of it and a piece of the metal bare that gets sandwhiched between the two pieces of wood. Looks intriguing, although if the metal is not stainless steel, which I don’t know if it is, but I could ask him. It would be prone to rust as the sharp little metal prongs of the metal medium that holds it altogether show on the surface.

Just thought it was an interssting new thing that may have some potential. I asked if I could keep the samples, unfortunately I couldn’t but I was allowed to take some pics.

I imagine simply for strength. The whole flooring is made with solid sheets of it sandwhiched in between.

I wonder how you cut this flooring?

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Saw thes 6 x 8 sheets of plywood being used as a barricade yesterday. Nev seen the 6’ wide Stuff unless it was special order and could not imagine using it as just a barricade instead of using a shand a half

Do you think it might be imported from Asia maybe?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Tomorrow’s window job is going to be interesting.
    Get rid of the glass block. Masonry walls with furring on both sides.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Good question. I imagine with a metal cutting circ saw I guess.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Corvette was the first car I know of with the sandwiched wood floor. They sed balsa wood to stiffen the floor and keep weight and noise down. It was at least 8-10 years ago they first did it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Never seen that size before,
    Would be interesting to see if they are custom made, or easily available.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That is an odd window – good luck today.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I wonder when laminate wood flooring became not strong enough??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Definitely an interesting window job, almost looks like they replaced the window and added the glass blocking to fit the original opening
    Waiting to hear how this one goes.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Somebody played with that sign

Turtles didn’t get them all…..yet.

Attachments:

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I was just wondering. I guess it is a good question. Still makes me wonder.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.114 seconds