dcsimg

Insulating a Crawl Space

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I like to keep my floors warm and insulating between the joints would do this.

Spray foam insulation. Nothing better than that.

It’s best to buy the kit from wherever you find it cheaper and do it yourself. If you have a small surface to cover.

Or call a company to give you an estimate, compare it and go from there.

Yeah that’s what I meant just above , probably the best solution , gets in pretty much every where ,

Like you said I bought a kit for a job I did year’s ago , I think it was a few hundred dollars , I can’t remember if it was 3 or 5 hundred , but it covered a large area , they do have different sizes to , easy enough to do also.

Your right spray foam does get everywhere and seals up all leaks.

I have checked and the spray foam kits around $350. They do 200 sqft.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

probably easier to install than ridgid in some areas ,

Ridgid insulation can be fasten to the foundation wall where batt insulation needs to studded walls. Not sure this would be easier. Or I am wrong?

Yeah sorry my bad , I thought it was between the floor joists you were thinking about ,

Maybe sprayed insulation might be a better choice , would get into tight areas and might get better filling than either stiff or batt insulation , not sure if it has to be covered though ,

You can always check your local codes and so on

The furnace in in the crawl space so there is certain amount of heat in the crawl space.

The kitchen is above the crawl space where the furnace is. The floor is usually always warm. Pretty much all the fountain wall in the ground.

The best way to keep the floors warm is to insulate the perimeter of the crawl space and allow a little heat to dump into the crawl space. It will rise up through the floor. If the crawl space is room temperature, the floor will be also. Insulating the floor instead of the walls of the crawl space will actually give colder floors. Think about putting your hand on an exterior wall on a cold day, the wall is colder than the room temp. but if you touch a table in the room, it will be the same temperature as the air in the room.

This makes total sense to me. I have always said if you floors are warm you house should be warm.

Greg

probably easier to install than ridgid in some areas ,

Ridgid insulation can be fasten to the foundation wall where batt insulation needs to studded walls. Not sure this would be easier. Or I am wrong?

Yeah sorry my bad , I thought it was between the floor joists you were thinking about ,

Maybe sprayed insulation might be a better choice , would get into tight areas and might get better filling than either stiff or batt insulation , not sure if it has to be covered though ,

You can always check your local codes and so on

The furnace in in the crawl space so there is certain amount of heat in the crawl space.

The kitchen is above the crawl space where the furnace is. The floor is usually always warm. Pretty much all the fountain wall in the ground.

The best way to keep the floors warm is to insulate the perimeter of the crawl space and allow a little heat to dump into the crawl space. It will rise up through the floor. If the crawl space is room temperature, the floor will be also. Insulating the floor instead of the walls of the crawl space will actually give colder floors. Think about putting your hand on an exterior wall on a cold day, the wall is colder than the room temp. but if you touch a table in the room, it will be the same temperature as the air in the room.

Thanks for the information Kurt , always nice to hear other professional opinions from a experience person , makes sense too

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

in a northern climate like yours or ours here in Minnesota, batt insulation , while allowed, is not recommended in basements or crawlspaces. If we are not covering the space, like in a crawlspace, we typically use a Celotex Polyisocyanurate board that is 1 1/2″ thick. Using this instead of an extruded, or expanded, polystyrene, you can eliminate the covering to provide the thermal break as it is fated for no covering.

I think I found the foil board you are talking about. If this the stuff I don’t think it will cost to much to do what I need to do.
    To insulate the rim joist could I not just use a piece of this foil board and spray foam around the piece with a can of spray foam to seal it?

I have also sent a couple emails out to see about getting quotes from Spray foam contractors.

Greg

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

You want to be sure it has the class A fire rating , here is the product we use. It specifically says it does not need to be covered. Look at the IKO sheets.. Most say if they need a covering.

https://www.awarehousefull.com/dow-thermax-sheathing/

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

You want to be sure it has the class A fire rating , here is the product we use. It specifically says it does not need to be covered. Look at the IKO sheets.. Most say if they need a covering.

https://www.awarehousefull.com/dow-thermax-sheathing/

Ok thanks! I did find anything that said need to covering. Here is the IKO sheets.
    https://www.iko.com/comm/technical_documents/enerfoil-sheathing-pds-41803xx/

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Here is alittle update on insulating the crawl space.

I got estimate on doing spray foam. The quote was $1300.00 for doing whole crawl space. Not sure if that was for doing the rim joists.

I have decide to use the IKO foil board. I put a order to get a few sheets to do the front wall of the house. Later on I will do the other walls.

Greg

I got estimate on doing spray foam. The quote was $1300.00 for doing whole crawl space. Not sure if that was for doing the rim joists.

I have decide to use the IKO foil board. I put a order to get a few sheets to do the front wall of the house. Later on I will do the other walls.

That doesn’t sound too bad , how much will it cost to do with the foil board compared to the spray foam ,

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Use the board in the rim area also and seal with expanding foam. It will stop a lot of leakage and give you a much warmer crawl space and floors.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Use the board in the rim area also and seal with expanding foam. It will stop a lot of leakage and give you a much warmer crawl space and floors.

Yes this plan. Thanks!

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

That doesn’t sound too bad , how much will it cost to do with the foil board compared to the spray foam ,

I believe it will be alot less. I going say around $500.00. I am going to do just one wall first. Then I will do the other wall.

Greg

I believe it will be alot less. I going say around $500.00. I am going to do just one wall first. Then I will do the other wall.

That’s pretty good , that is for the whole area i guess , or 500 just for 1 wall

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

That’s pretty good , that is for the whole area i guess , or 500 just for 1 wall

No it is for the whole area.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

wish I can insulate and clean up my crawlspace. It’s impossible to insulate in south Florida.

No it is for the whole area.

Well that’s a good price , I’m sure it’s going to make a huge difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.490 seconds