dcsimg

Installing cultured stone-need advice

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m finally building my own home. This week I plan to install cultured stone on the concrete block columns I built on the front porch. I want to assure good adhesionof the stone work. I’m not sure what type of mortar or mortar mix I should use for the scratch coat and what type of mortar for the actual install. Also since the stones won’t be stacked -what type and mix for the grout joints. Thanks for any help. Jim in Franklin, TN

Doobie
    Pro

Welcome to the forum Jim.

Maybe contact the manufacturer directly or their website or a speciality store that sells them and ask them.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

They make a stone setting mortar that is recommended for all three applications. It is a premix that can be bought at most masonry supply houses and even some big boxes stock it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I see the masons use a lath over the block and a Type S mortar to butter and set the stone on. I also see them use that white bonding agent in a pump spray bottle to spray on the block before the mortar goes on.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.274 seconds